Flat bar road bike suggestions
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2020

Flat bar road bike suggestions

Looking for a bike to upgrade from my Trek 7.5 FX, which I do like and have had for years. But want to get something with a decent road gearset and not a MTB one and hand mine down to my son. Frame can be aluminum..dont' really need carbon, but would like carbon fork. Only using it on pavement with some small hills around SoCal for fitness mostly, just prefer the style to a drop down bike. Any suggestions would be appreciated. So far, considering looking at Trek FX 4 Sport, Cannondale Quick3, Specialized Sirrus Elite Alloy, and Giant FastRoad SL1.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Looking at what you have and what you're looking to buy, I personally don't see much difference... i.e., you aren't really going to be "upgrading" so much as just getting a new bike.

Pretty much any of the bikes you listed will do just fine for what you're wanting to do with them. If cost is an issue, go for whichever one you can get for the best price. If cost isn't an issue, just pick whichever one "feels/looks best" to you... there's just not that big of a difference between each model that you're really going to notice any difference.

Even though I'm a "Trek fanboy", I kind of like the Giant FastRoad SL1 you listed if for no reason other than the one I found is orange and looks cool

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2020
    A "new bike" is probably the way to look at it. My son has outgrown the Med bike he has, so my plan is to hand mine down to him, and that gives me a pretty good reason to get a new one. If there is a fit that upgrades components, brakes, etc, then all the better.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DanV View Post
    A "new bike" is probably the way to look at it. My son has outgrown the Med bike he has, so my plan is to hand mine down to him, and that gives me a pretty good reason to get a new one. If there is a fit that upgrades components, brakes, etc, then all the better.
    Suck it up and get your son the new bike!
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    What year is your FX7.5?

Yeah, the new FX 7.4 sport is carbon fiber, but I think the biggest upgrade can be centered around the drive train/front derailleur. You didn't state the model year of your current ride. Does your existing FX have a triple chainring? If so, IMO the change to a 2x or 1x drivetrain would be a huge improvement. Triples suck unless you're doing loaded touring.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Road gearing?

Funny as I passed some guy on the road. He caught back up later at a stop. He said he wished he had road gearing like my roadbike seeing he was on a flatbar bike. He said he couldn't keep up because I had bigger gears. I asked what front gear he was in, he said a 48. I told him to look down so he could see I was riding my 39 ring.

Waste of money if sole purpose is looking for road gears.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2020
    Yes, it has a triple chain ring up front. Deore on front and the back. Not exactly sure of the year; maybe 8-9 years ago. I have read the same thing about a 2x drivetrain being better on the road. The bikes I am looking at so far all have that, and Tiagra components.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    I found the following web site pretty helpful in determining what gear ratios are actually useful. Ratios by themselves don't mean much to me, but this chart shows you how many MPH/KPH you will be traveling with a given gear ratio, wheel size, and cadence (factoring-out things like wind and hills):

BikeCalc.com - Bicycle Gear Speed Chart

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield View Post
    I found the following web site pretty helpful in determining what gear ratios are actually useful. Ratios by themselves don't mean much to me, but this chart shows you how many MPH/KPH you will be traveling with a given gear ratio, wheel size, and cadence (factoring-out things like wind and hills):

BikeCalc.com - Bicycle Gear Speed Chart
    thanks...I have been looking for something like that for a while and couldn't find exactly that. perfect tool for comparing different drivetrains combined with tire widths.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Wow, your bike was off my radar. I really like the Giant FastRoad SL1. It's an eye opener to see a quality FB bike at that price.
    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/fastroad-sl-1-2019

Too much of the current market emphasis is on Lfestyle, Image, Politic.
    Check out Surlybikes web site as an example, and look at how they market slow steel junk to ManBun- Hipsters .
    (seriously look at the marketing jargon thats describes their bikes) https://surlybikes.com/bikes/midnight_special

In the near future your son will be riding one helluva quick bike.
    Last edited by rudge66; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:23 PM.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by DanV View Post
    Yes, it has a triple chain ring up front. Deore on front and the back. Not exactly sure of the year; maybe 8-9 years ago. I have read the same thing about a 2x drivetrain being better on the road. The bikes I am looking at so far all have that, and Tiagra components.
    And why would that be? Marketing maybe? Define "better". Faster? Are you racing? 2x cranksets are what is being made now. You rarely see a new bike with a 3x crankset.

If you want a new bike, get a new bike, but don't think you are getting something vastly better with an Trek FX made now (or any of the other choices you mentioned) vs. a 10 year old Trek FX.

Best thing to do is test ride different bikes and buy the one you like the feel of best, not the one someone here recommends.
    "If someone needs 200 rolls of toilet paper for a 14-day quarantine, they probably should have made a doctor's appointment way before the COVID-19 outbreak." -- Unknown

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Email me offline. Coda Elite. Ultegra drivetrain. Hed Belgium Plus. Paulís brakes. The unlimited. Pics donít come across...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    And why would that be? Marketing maybe? Define "better". Faster? Are you racing? 2x cranksets are what is being made now. You rarely see a new bike with a 3x crankset.

If you want a new bike, get a new bike, but don't think you are getting something vastly better with an Trek FX made now (or any of the other choices you mentioned) vs. a 10 year old Trek FX.

Best thing to do is test ride different bikes and buy the one you like the feel of best, not the one someone here recommends.
    To your point, maybe the 2-ring setups are just newer. the bike I ended up getting has that, and so far I do like there being a bigger difference for the 20 speeds vs. 27.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2014

Specialized Sirrus Alloy

A thumbs up for Specialized Sirrus Alloy. I have a friend who has one with 105 and its a workshorse and fast on the flats here in FLA. Not the lightest probably not a great climber, but otherwise real nice.