Flipped my stem, now riding in the drops is great - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Matnlely Dregaend
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    YOU are the one who suggested using spacers instead of flipping his stem.

So it appears your imagination shares this figment.

But again, the point is, flipping the stem or adding an equal number of spacers are the same thing. Only difference is aesthetics.
    I'm not getting into a fight about you only reading part of my post... If you were BUILDING a bike, you'd get a frame with a taller headtube or use spacers. Only an idiot would flip the stem while building a bike to get a higher bar if the spacer limit wasn't a concern, which is why I posted the spacer limit rule to begin with. In the OPs case, and pretty much every case (yes there are very few exceptions that prove the rule) flipping the stem shortens your effective stem length. So yes the OP has shortened their stem length by flipping the stem. End of story.
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Cycling and ethical bankruptcy have always gone together." - Bike Snob NYC
    "White personifies this generation's obsession with superficiality, one in which a carefully curated social media post is more important than the actual ride" - Daimeon Shanks
    "I haven't been %^&* like that since I was an altar boy" Hank Moody

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSmile View Post
    Only an idiot would flip the stem while building a bike to get a higher bar if the spacer limit wasn't a concern, which is why I posted the spacer limit rule to begin with.
    Why? The only difference between flipping the stem vs adding spacers is aesthetics (and a few grams worth of spacers and steer tube). There is no other difference. Nothing. Nada. Zip. And no bike that I have ever owned has a 20mm spacer rule. What is silly in my book would be using 40mm of spacers with a stem angled down when you could use a 10mm spacer with the same stem flipped up and achieve the identical result.

Quote Originally Posted by DrSmile View Post
    In the OPs case, and pretty much every case (yes there are very few exceptions that prove the rule) flipping the stem shortens your effective stem length. So yes the OP has shortened their stem length by flipping the stem. End of story.
    I think you need to explain what you mean by "effectively shortens the stem length".

If you mean length relative to the steer tube... then no, it does not reduce that length. If you measure the perpendicular length from the steer tube to the bar clamp, that distance does not change when you flip it. Insofar as stem length affects the steering, there is no difference.

If you mean that it changes the distance from the bar to the saddle.... yes, it does that. However, using spacers instead does the exact same thing.

The reason I am questioning what you are saying is because you are citing a (potentially valid) concern about the effect of flipping a stem on the bike fit, but then suggesting an alternative (putting spacers under the stem) which has the exact same effect.

Matnlely Dregaend
    If the bike is riding itself I guess then the geometry doesn't matter, in which case your arguments make sense. Given a rider and a cut fork, which is the case 100% of the time, they don't This reminds me of people arguing about how great disk brakes are in the rain on road bikes with no fenders...
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Cycling and ethical bankruptcy have always gone together." - Bike Snob NYC
    "White personifies this generation's obsession with superficiality, one in which a carefully curated social media post is more important than the actual ride" - Daimeon Shanks
    "I haven't been %^&* like that since I was an altar boy" Hank Moody

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    If you want to see what effect flipping the stem and changing the spacers have, see this tool: http://yojimg.net/bike/web_tools/stem.php

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12