Flobikes scam

Thread: Flobikes scam

Jno
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2016

Flobikes scam

Jno , 09-01-20 06:46 AM

Be warned! I am in Canada and one of the companies providing coverage of the Tour de France is Flobikes. They are referenced in lots of the bike mags and sites and their site had three inducements to subscribe: 7 day free trial; $12.50 per month rate; cancel anytime. When I subscribed, it asked for credit card info; once registration was complete, the confirmation email said I had a full year subscription - $150 came off my card.

A casual search online confirms that they’ve been running this scam for a while, and BBB has disgruntled subscribers who describe the same experience. Of course it is my fault that I did not take the necessary steps to safeguard myself. I hope I can spare one or more of you from falling into a year long subscription to Flobikes.

Scam, part one: no free trial, and no mention of it once you complete the basic registration info.

Scam, part two: Their reply to my email inquiry said $150 is $12.50/month but billed yearly and it’s a one yr subscription.

Scam part three: Their reply email invited me to take advantage of an additional 30% discount but, if I wished, I could cancel any time. I did cancel, 48 hrs after joining. Turns out, my cancellation is effective as of the one yr anniversary of my subscription which means I also missed out on the chance to lessen the impact of the scam by 30%

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I'd just call the CC company you have and have them retract the transaction as bogus.
    BANNED

I love to climb!
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    I'd just call the CC company you have and have them retract the transaction as bogus.
    Yep, that happens enough times, they'll stop with the scammy advertising. They get penalized by the cc company every time they're is a chargeback.
    Stop in at Element Sports. www.elementsport.com
    Get Out! Have Fun!

banned
    Mar 2019
    Oh Canaddaa !

RoadBikeReview Member
    This happened to me too.

I emailed them and they refunded me $125 and let me keep the membership for the month

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jno
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2016
    LOL- they said they’d charge me $30 for the month and release me from the one year commitment.

RoadBikeReview Member
    My money was refunded in full. Promptly after my complaint.

Not sure it was a Scam, I was told there was a disagreement over USA broadcast+streaming rights. Perhaps, there were not enough USA subscriptions to Flobikes to pay the lawyers to defend against NBCSports claims of exclusive distribution.

Not everything that you dislike or goes against you is automatically a Scam.

Paying for streaming content in a media driven society may be the future for almost all entertainment. Just do away with ALL the ads if I must pay, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2011
    I'm not sure that it qualifies as a scam ... but, in reality, they want the annual fee up front. It initially suggests that you can pay monthly, but that's not the case. Also, it is not made clear that the TDF, for example, is ONLY available in Canada (I'm in the US); I have alternative access to The Tour so it was not an issue. Also, the Flobikes announcers are unwatchable. Thankfully, they mostly use other feeds. Will I renew next year? Not if I have options. I think Eurosport should offer subscriptions worldwide. They could make millions.