Folsom LBS Goes Bad with a touch of Road Rage - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bocephus Jones
    I can see the ad now.

Men's sleeveless jersey. Tried on once. Small lactation stains on the front, but otherwise mint condition.
    The trick to reselling this item at a profit is to fasten a pic of a missing child on the back.

Soon to be banned

folsom_rider was treated unfairly.

These scenes are never pretty.

As a business owner, Bicycle Planet was definitely in the wrong. They talked about things that never should have been mentioned, "wife's size". Is there a sign in the bike shop that says "you break it, you buy it"? Even IF folsom_rider's wife stained the jersey, the bike shop handled it totally wrong. They should have graciously accepted the return, then mentioned in passing that the customer's wife damaged the other jersey. He might have offered to pay for it cash in hand. Instead they lost at least one customer over a $44 jersey.

You can tell by the response from the bike shop that:
    1. They opened their response letter with "Fortunately if it goes any further what really occured was witnessed by another customer."

This tells me they immediately feel the need to defend themselves.

2. They were definitely focused on the bike purchase of this couple when they said "We...certainly don't mind that he bought a Trek and a Specialized--the more riders the better. Maybe next time he would have focused less on price and more on service and features and bought from us?

That's how small, struggling bike shops think. They use their accessories as ways to get enhance bike sales. That's why I only buy my accessories from the larger bike shops, like Performance. They don't just focus on the $4000 bike sale, they provide customer service regardless of what you're buying.

3. The person who wrote this response letter has combined events in an attempt to make folsom rider look bad. "The Folsom resident's main objection in returning the jersey was that it was a man's jersey, said it was b.s. that we hadn't pointed that out. If he had been remotely polite we would have taken the jersey back--but he began swearing and cursing at us."

As a customer, folsom rider was unfairly provoked when he was told he could only exchange the jersey for the damaged one. No one just goes off for no apparent reason. He was offended with comments about his wife's size while he tried to legitmately return an item. He felt threatened and responded.

4. Bicycle Planet's service is definitely flawed when they made this comment " He was told no judgements are made on women's breast sizes when they try on clothing here, the jersey was clearly labeled, that he could exchange it for the damaged jersey, but we couldn't give him money back on the jersey that they had tried on, said had fit, paid for, and taken home for a week.

Every standard return policy is 30 days. Why did you feel the need to deviate from this?

5. A threat definitely occured when the Bicycle Planet said "The Folsom Resident was asked politely and firmly to leave the store when he began screaming and swearing and had to be reminded he was carrying a baby and to do the right thing and leave.

6. Then they go on to insult this customer again by saying "Smack him around? He may have thought he deserved it, but only a nut case holding a baby while he shot his mouth off would think that was coming."

This is just ugly! Why? Because this customer bought his bikes elsewhere? Because a $44 jersey got damaged?

Again, As a business owner, Bicycle Planet was definitely in the wrong. IF Bicycle Planet believed in the montra that the "customer is always right", this situation would never have occured.

Feb 2004
    The customer isn't always right though good businesses usually start with that assumption.
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Soon to be banned

Regardless, but "The customer is always right" works.

The customer isn't always right though good businesses usually start with that assumption.
    It's not an assumption, it's a business practice that enables you to stay in business.

Is it better to retain customers and stay in business, or to be "right" about a $44 jersey and go out of business?

It doesn't take much to have 3000 people view an issue you had with a LBS... Can this LBS even afford to lose 10 customers?

You want an environment where this guy walks away telling his 10 friends that this LBS was the best and they should shop there...etc. Not, they accosted me with my baby in my hands... Unfair business practices...etc.

Dumb, dumb, dumb...

Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderman
    It's not an assumption, it's a business practice that enables you to stay in business.

Is it better to retain customers and stay in business, or to be "right" about a $44 jersey and go out of business?

It doesn't take much to have 3000 people view an issue you had with a LBS... Can this LBS even afford to lose 10 customers?

You want an environment where this guy walks away telling his 10 friends that this LBS was the best and they should shop there...etc. Not, they accosted me with my baby in my hands... Unfair business practices...etc.

Dumb, dumb, dumb...
    Agree though if you work retail long enough there will always be at least one customer that you can't please. Sometimes they go over the line. Sure a $44 jersey won't break you, but what if that customer had special ordered a $10k Serotta, crashed it the weekend he took it out of the store and then brought it back to the shop and demanded a full refund since it should have been able to take a crash? Would the customer be right then? Would you just gladly hand him back the $10k and smile asking if he wanted anything else? If so, you're gonna go broke pretty quickly.
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

The Edge

Thumbs up Just like reviews though, people seem to only post the bad experiences.

Dumb, dumb, dumb...
    My hometown bike shop, Mike's Bikes (Columbus, GA), is simply incredible. I get a lot of my gear there simply for the customer service. I get prodeals and significant team discounts at other shops, but Mike got me started and I always go back. One example: I broke a brand new chain and came back in the next day and he didn't just give me a new chain, he reinstalled it himself! Atlanta Cycling would have been like "Oh, tough luck. We've got some PC-59s for $40 bucks if you want another." Mike is also really big on promoting cycling in the community and the enjoyment of the sport, not just sales. Every bike shop that I've had a bad experience with lacked that ingredient.

Another great shop, this one in Atlanta Area is Outback Bikes. These guys are kind of weird when you first meet them, but then you realize that it's just all the chain lube in their blood stream that has accumulated over the years. They carry names I've never heard of and everything they sale has been tested by them first. The other day I was in there to pick up some rubber and he was like "Those tires are great, but around here I've found they get cut up pretty badly with all the glass. Try these tires and if you don't like them just bring them back and I'll pay you back." I've never heard of such service!

I donít want to sound like a commercial or come across as a cheerleader for these guys, but after dealing with some really shady shops (to numerous to name) these shops seems all the more awesome.
    I'm a gravity missile. Clydesdales, represent!

Domestic Drivin' E-Thug
    Aug 2002
    Agree though if you work retail long enough there will always be at least one customer that you can't please. Sometimes they go over the line. Sure a $44 jersey won't break you, but what if that customer had special ordered a $10k Serotta, crashed it the weekend he took it out of the store and then brought it back to the shop and demanded a full refund since it should have been able to take a crash? Would the customer be right then? Would you just gladly hand him back the $10k and smile asking if he wanted anything else? If so, you're gonna go broke pretty quickly.
    That's kind of a copout as it's obvious that a Serotta and a jersey are apples and oranges. Further, "The customer is always right" is outdated. Much better to go with "Even when the customer is dead wrong, let's go out of our way to make them think that they're right." No shop is ever going to eat thousands of dollars for no reason, but if you're getting bent out of shape over a small ticket item then you've got some serious problems/issues. The way in which the LBS defended itself speaks volumes as to their guilt in this situation.

If it were me, I would have demanded that they give me their return policy in writing. Since the original jersey has NOTHING to do with the second one, they would either have to abide by their policy and give the man his refund or say "Sorry, we are not going to adhere by our return policy in this situation." If that's the case, they don't have a legal leg to stand on and that's the case even with the orginal jersey since the burden of proof is on them.

Get me to In&Out
    Having read this thread since its inception, I now have an opinion. The shop was wrong. PERIOD. End of story. A simple trip to small claims court will get Folsom his money back, but probably not worth his time. I doubt this shop will be in buisness for long with return practices like they have. There is no way a shop shouldn't accept a return with tags and a reciept. I don't care if his wife took a dump on the other jersey. That has nothing to do with this transaction. If they had a beef with the other jersey, they chose to take the loss when they said nothing at the time of the "soiling". And on that note, having a new born child and breast feeding is not a pleasant time for anyone. Lactation is not intentional and imbarassing at best. Why shame a mother who had an accident? Would you also send a customer a cleaning bill if they walked in the the store with gum on their shoe and got it on your carpet? Why not just have a policy where nobody can try on a jersey without first showering in your presence to make sure they are clean. And god knows how many people have sweat in a pair of shorts they tried on.

People who go to shops to try stuff on don't expect stuff to be surgeon clean. It is a bike shop for pete's sake. People stop by on their way home from rides sweaty and nasty all the time and try stuff on.
    Cyclists really need to learn a little Rule #5.

Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by The Human G-Nome
    That's kind of a copout as it's obvious that a Serotta and a jersey are apples and oranges. Further, "The customer is always right" is outdated. Much better to go with "Even when the customer is dead wrong, let's go out of our way to make them think that they're right." No shop is ever going to eat thousands of dollars for no reason, but if you're getting bent out of shape over a small ticket item then you've got some serious problems/issues. The way in which the LBS defended itself speaks volumes as to their guilt in this situation.

If it were me, I would have demanded that they give me their return policy in writing. Since the original jersey has NOTHING to do with the second one, they would either have to abide by their policy and give the man his refund or say "Sorry, we are not going to adhere by our return policy in this situation." If that's the case, they don't have a legal leg to stand on and that's the case even with the orginal jersey since the burden of proof is on them.
    Totally agree. In this case I don't see why they made such a fuss over a jersey that probably cost them $20. That said...no shop that stays in business can afford to give stuff away and eat everything. There is a limit. I go to a shop in Boulder because of the service they give me. They routinely adjust and fix stuff for me while I wait for just the cost of the parts used--even when I offer to pay whatever their going rate is. They also only employ the best wrenches--no high schooler learning the trade working on my bike. Next time I'm in the market for a new bike I will go there. I just made an appointment yesterday to get a more extensive tune up from them. They are keeping so busy that their waiting list put me at June 16th. I'll gladly wait that long--wouldn't even consider another bike shop to work on my bike.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

The Edge
    Hey, as a nerd I resent that!
    I'm a gravity missile. Clydesdales, represent!

Jun 1999

opinion

Anyone can express opinion about anyone else, which is not actionable as defamation, and is protected by the First Amendment. Even without reference to specific facts about this incident, one could freely tell everyone in the Sacramento area "I don't like that store" (even "I hate that store") or something similar. The store owner's implied threat is apparently intended to chill free speech, but that need not happen.

It would be interesting to find out if others have had similar experiences with the store.

*This isn't legal advice. Consult your own lawyer if you desire legal advice on these issues.

Soon to be banned

Come on BJ...

Be realistic, that situation doesn't even come close to being similar.

It's obvious that business was so slow for Bicycle Planet to even notice that the jersey was damage and by whom. After this event, I expect their business will be that much slower.

Feb 2004
    Be realistic, that situation doesn't even come close to being similar.

It's obvious that business was so slow for Bicycle Planet to even notice that the jersey was damage and by whom. After this event, I expect their business will be that much slower.
    agree. I was intentionally exagerating to show that there are legitimate instances where the customer is not always right. This situation was probably not an example of that. The shop shoud've taken the jersey back--even if they had to eat it.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Apr 2004

Thumbs down Beware

Quote Originally Posted by DougSloan
    Anyone can express opinion about anyone else, which is not actionable as defamation, and is protected by the First Amendment. Even without reference to specific facts about this incident, one could freely tell everyone in the Sacramento area "I don't like that store" (even "I hate that store") or something similar. The store owner's implied threat is apparently intended to chill free speech, but that need not happen.

It would be interesting to find out if others have had similar experiences with the store.

*This isn't legal advice. Consult your own lawyer if you desire legal advice on these issues.

Opinions abound, but I agree with what Fez has just said. The fact is the store violated its own policy and general sales etiquette by not letting the buyer return the jersey for refund within 30 days. The "other" jersey, the bikes the guy didn't buy at the store, his demeanor, etc is all extraneous and doesn't matter. It's the jersey, that's it. He should've gotten his money back. What's this place called? PlanetBike.com? Like others on this thread, they are on my beware list and I'll make sure I warn my friends about them too.

Nov 2001
    Don't take this as a personal attack or anything, but spankdoggie, you are a wierd guy
    Too many irrational responses in one thread.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123