Folsom LBS Goes Bad with a touch of Road Rage
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 65
  1. #1

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    79

    Thumbs down Folsom LBS Goes Bad with a touch of Road Rage

    Hi All,

    Interesting afternoon today. I went to return a jersey I purchased my wife last weekend that did not fit. You need to visualize that in one arm I am balancing our new 7 month old baby, and in the other, I am holding the reciept.

    I presented the receipt and the item with all tags intact to the main worker that I have known for 1.5 years. Before even discussing the return, he states that "I have been meaning to call you this week". I ask why. He explains (in a very accusatory way) that apparently my wife damaged one of the jersey's she tried on when we were shopping and that I would have to pay for that.

    I asked him to show me the item, and he stated it was not at the shop. I then explained that his accusation was false as I was with my wife when she tried on the damaged jersey in question, and it was fine when we left as I hung it back up myself.

    I asked why they did not call and he stated they were going to write it off. With that in mind, I then proceeded to ask for my refund and he refused and began to lecturing me about how I should "do the right thing" since it was my fault. At this point, I was getting a bit irratated and told him to screw off and give me my money.

    Here is where it gets interesting (keep in mind, I have a baby in my arms still)...This guy runs up to me from behind the counter and does one of those "get real close to your face" postures and tells me to get out of the store in a very threatening way. I could have sworn this guy was going to loose his temper and take a swing. I then looked this jerk in the face and told him not to threaten me. All he kept saying was "to do the right thing"...I did walk out and reported this jerk to the police as well as several other measures. I also did grab the jersey and my receipt.

    The odd thing was, that this was all about a $44 dollar jersey. It was not about the jersey for me. That is not the point. Also, I think this guy was pissed that we did not patronize his shop very much as we just purchased two nice road bikes. But, the bottom line is they will loose so much more in business from my friends and I...Anyway, these two jokers at this shop are going to fold soon enough. With bike shop service like this, I would rather take my chances in the alleys of New York...

    By the way, spread the word if you live in the Sacramento Area...Bicycle Planet of Folsom is a bunch of LOOSERS that need to get a grip and take an anger management class or two..

  2. #2

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    662

    LBS jerks abound

    What a shame that happened to you especially while holding your baby. If that guy had gotten any more confrontational, you baby would've taken the brunt, but you did the right thing by leaving and calling the police. I would've taken the baby back to the car and gone back into the store to give the guy a major ass kicking, but you did it right and remained calm. LBS jerks like that are abound more often than you think. Unfortunately, some stay in business far longer than those that just go bye-bye.

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    80
    That sucks man. My least favorite LBS is Larry and Jeff's in the 70s and 3rd on New York's Upper East Side. I was once a regular fixture at that shop for service, shipping, and occasionally, parts. Here are three reasons why I'll never return:

    1. on one occasion I brought my bike in for a $110 service/tune up job. The manager instructed me to rest the bike in the entryway to the repair shop. I did, and then he walked past me, briskly moved it, and reprimanded me that I'd placed it in "in-teh-gral" (pronounced incorrectly) workspace.

    2. on another, I came in to switch up a threaded headset for a threadless one. To carry the fork and headset, I put the cups of the threadless over the threaded and then the wheel and fork (easiest way to transport it). The shop manager and his midget sidekick "track-star-has-been" laughed at me for being such an idiot. Why? Because you have to take out the old cups before putting in the new ones! No **** fellas, that's why I'm here; I haven't got the tools.

    3. The third strike. I called up Tudor, the manager, asking for a Chris King headset. He said he had one in stock. So I went over and he told me "sorry man I looked and I guess I sold it". I reminded him that he just told me that he had one. I also said that his shop continuously let me down, especially considering the amount of money I'd spent there over the course of a year. He said "then don't come back, we don't need you."

    Needless to say, I bought 200 bucks worth of Park tools over the past year. And none of the shop tech snobs can hold a stone to my workmanship. My bike's never ridden better. Who needs LBS attitude.

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    1,122
    I agree that with CS like that they willsoon be OOB.

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    94
    It's all about customer service. Some people make it so hard to support LBS.

  6. #6

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    29
    Have you been able to get in touch with the owner/manager of the LBS? Many times they appreciate knowing about things like this. Anyone with a lick of sense knows that is not the way to run a business.

  7. #7

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    129

    Cameras in the fitting room?

    How do you damage a jersey by trying it on? That they even remember she was the one trying it on means they are watching her a little too closely.

  8. #8

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    79

    Thanks for all the comments and support

    I really appreciate this. I am still fumming that some jerk would do this with a kid in my arms. As for the owner, I am going to get in touch. I am not sure what spin this jerk decided to put on it, but I will at least let him know the truth.

    As for them watching my wife too much, that may be a good point. What they claim she did was spill something on the jersey (which I know was a lie). Anyway, desperate measures for desperate and hatefull people...They will be gone in no time. It all comes around...

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    229

    Thanks for the tip

    Quote Originally Posted by folsom_rider
    I really appreciate this. I am still fumming that some jerk would do this with a kid in my arms. As for the owner, I am going to get in touch. I am not sure what spin this jerk decided to put on it, but I will at least let him know the truth.

    As for them watching my wife too much, that may be a good point. What they claim she did was spill something on the jersey (which I know was a lie). Anyway, desperate measures for desperate and hatefull people...They will be gone in no time. It all comes around...

    Thanks for the tip. As a Folsom LBS shopper, I'll bypass them in the future....

  10. #10
    The Edge
    Reputation: niteschaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    205

    It is sad, but if you want it done right you have to do it yourself.

    Quote Originally Posted by merlinator
    That sucks man. My least favorite LBS is Larry and Jeff's in the 70s and 3rd on New York's Upper East Side. I was once a regular fixture at that shop for service, shipping, and occasionally, parts. Here are three reasons why I'll never return:

    1. on one occasion I brought my bike in for a $110 service/tune up job. The manager instructed me to rest the bike in the entryway to the repair shop. I did, and then he walked past me, briskly moved it, and reprimanded me that I'd placed it in "in-teh-gral" (pronounced incorrectly) workspace.

    2. on another, I came in to switch up a threaded headset for a threadless one. To carry the fork and headset, I put the cups of the threadless over the threaded and then the wheel and fork (easiest way to transport it). The shop manager and his midget sidekick "track-star-has-been" laughed at me for being such an idiot. Why? Because you have to take out the old cups before putting in the new ones! No **** fellas, that's why I'm here; I haven't got the tools.

    3. The third strike. I called up Tudor, the manager, asking for a Chris King headset. He said he had one in stock. So I went over and he told me "sorry man I looked and I guess I sold it". I reminded him that he just told me that he had one. I also said that his shop continuously let me down, especially considering the amount of money I'd spent there over the course of a year. He said "then don't come back, we don't need you."

    Needless to say, I bought 200 bucks worth of Park tools over the past year. And none of the shop tech snobs can hold a stone to my workmanship. My bike's never ridden better. Who needs LBS attitude.
    I too had to become a mechanic for my truck, my computer, my apartment and my bike because the people that I used to try to trade money for service were too much of a hassle. I am so glad I do as I am not nearly the slave to technology or the poor service industry as I once was.
    I'm a gravity missile. Clydesdales, represent!

  11. #11
    No pain, no pain.
    Reputation: Matno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by merlinator
    My least favorite LBS is Larry and Jeff's in the 70s and 3rd on New York's Upper East Side.Who needs LBS attitude?
    I figured I wasn't the only one who hates that place. Of all the bad cycling shops (and a very SMALL number of good ones) in NYC, that has got to be the worst. Certainly the worst I've ever been to. They are idiots who treat customers as if they don't know anything (i.e. even less than THEY know). If something is not in stock, they say it's not as good as what they have (when I was looking for a high-end Deda stem, they recommended that the Profile H2O stem was much better. I'm sure it had nothing to do with the huge overstock of them hanging up near the ceiling...)

    When I told them I wanted a cheap set of training tires, they tried to tell me that $55 for a Conti grand prix 3000 was the best price I would find for "any decent tire in the city."

    During one visit alone, I overheard them giving 3 customers patently false information about components. Stuff that was so obvious that they were even stupider than I thought or flat out lying to make a sale. (I wouldn't be surprised either way).

  12. #12

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    316
    Is that Sacramento, California?

    Let our Serotta board know about that: Serotta Bike Forum

  13. #13

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    79

    Smile Yes, Sacramento CA. Thanks for the tip!

    Quote Originally Posted by spankdoggie
    Is that Sacramento, California?

    Let our Serotta board know about that: Serotta Bike Forum
    Thanks for the link Spankdoggie. Just registered and will let that board know. I appreciate the tips. I just don't want this to happen to another person.

  14. #14

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    316
    You are quite welcome. I am glad you posted your concerns on my home forum.

    You are very vulnerable with a baby in your arms... Take the baby back home, then come back and comfortably get into to the "space" of the person who thought he had the upper hand... Tell him that you didn't really hear him since your... "baby was crapping his pants, pissing down your arm, etc" ...

    Sucks that you had the baby with you, but you need to become a man, for your baby, and go back there and raise hell, in an honest good hearted way, but let that young basturd know that what comes around goes around....

    Not that you will do anything, because anybody like that is a coward and a bully, and you know that... you need to go back WITHOUT THE KID, and talk to him politely and kindly, and set matters straight...


    Shoot (sorry for swearing) you will then let the kid know that bullying does not work, and you may scare him straight...

    From the tone of your writing, I get the sense you would have thrown him through the window if your dear baby child was not in your arms...

    Set matters straight.

    Go back.

    Be a man.

    You know what you have to do.

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,630

    maybe we should all let them know how we feel?


  16. #16

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    316
    Ok. I can't help myself. If anyone in a bike store accosted me like that with my baby in my arms...

    I would have handed my baby to the nearest woman with big healthy wide hips, and large breasts...

    Then I would have gone Buster Douglas (the only boxer to ever beat down Mike Tyson, I think) on the jackass that got in my face...

    Here is your new motto: Drop the kid (safely)... then beat dat ass.

    We are men.

    We are men, are we not?

    Be men.

    P.S. I graduated from high school at the height of 5 foot 11 inches tall and only 129 pounds with a 10.5 inch bicep flexed; got it close to 16 now... My point is what comes around goes around. My brother and I made a promise when we were kids to beat up our stepfather when we got older... problem was, once we got big, he looked so small. My kid brother is a triathlete at 6 foot 4 inches tall and 235. Our stepfather, who was so scary at the time was only 5 foot 9 inches and a fat 170. I am only now 6 foot even 185lbs, with a 17 inch calf and only a 15.5 inch bicep... and we are both in good shape... The stepfather that looked so large, now looks so small and fragile... How could we hurt him? No. Never. Now we wonder, how can we help him?

    become men.
    Last edited by spankdoggie; 05-24-2004 at 12:28 AM. Reason: Because I am a man, and I can. ...

  17. #17

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    79

    Thumbs up Thanks Spankdoggie

    Quote Originally Posted by spankdoggie
    Ok. I can't help myself. If anyone in a bike store accosted me like that with my baby in my arms...

    I would have handed my baby to the nearest woman with big healthy wide hips, and large breasts...

    Then I would have gone Buster Douglas (the only boxer to ever beat down Mike Tyson, I think) on the jackass that got in my face...

    Here is your new motto: Drop the kid (safely)... then beat dat ass.

    We are men.

    We are men, are we not?

    Be men.

    P.S. I graduated from high school at the height of 5 foot 11 inches tall and only 129 pounds with a 10.5 inch bicep flexed; got it close to 16 now... My point is what comes around goes around. My brother and I made a promise when we were kids to beat up our stepfather when we got older... problem was, once we got big, he looked so small. My kid brother is a triathlete at 6 foot 4 inches tall and 235. Our stepfather, who was so scary at the time was only 5 foot 9 inches and a fat 170. I am only now 6 foot even 185lbs, with a 17 inch calf and only a 15.5 inch bicep... and we are both in good shape... The stepfather that looked so large, now looks so small and fragile... How could we hurt him? No. Never. Now we wonder, how can we help him?

    become men.
    Hey Spank,

    Thanks for all the tips. What I really wish is that this guy did take a swing. Then, I would be the new LBS owner and would give all of you a nice discount ;-) As for going back and confronting this guy, I don't feel it will do any good. Martial Arts has tought me that you walk away from a confrontation and only defend when necessary. Besides, if I go back, it would make the owner think that I was the one on the offensive.

    I feel good about what I did, I stood up this jerk and did not back down and let him know what an ass he was being. I am not loosing sleep over this guy, and if the owner does not do something, he will be long gone shortly...

  18. #18

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    79

    Thumbs up Had to say...

    Quote Originally Posted by spankdoggie
    Ok. I can't help myself. If anyone in a bike store accosted me like that with my baby in my arms...

    I would have handed my baby to the nearest woman with big healthy wide hips, and large breasts...

    Then I would have gone Buster Douglas (the only boxer to ever beat down Mike Tyson, I think) on the jackass that got in my face...

    Here is your new motto: Drop the kid (safely)... then beat dat ass.

    We are men.

    We are men, are we not?

    Be men.

    P.S. I graduated from high school at the height of 5 foot 11 inches tall and only 129 pounds with a 10.5 inch bicep flexed; got it close to 16 now... My point is what comes around goes around. My brother and I made a promise when we were kids to beat up our stepfather when we got older... problem was, once we got big, he looked so small. My kid brother is a triathlete at 6 foot 4 inches tall and 235. Our stepfather, who was so scary at the time was only 5 foot 9 inches and a fat 170. I am only now 6 foot even 185lbs, with a 17 inch calf and only a 15.5 inch bicep... and we are both in good shape... The stepfather that looked so large, now looks so small and fragile... How could we hurt him? No. Never. Now we wonder, how can we help him?

    become men.
    I like your warrior mentallity. I am 5-8' and my brother and I had an abusive step father that was a 300lb goliath. One night, the guy went too far and I stood right up to him and informed to just stop. That was the last time he tried that around me.

    Thanks again.

  19. #19

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    79

    Thumbs up Thanks M.J.

    Thanks M.J.

    I appreciate the note. I hope the owner is smart enough to listen.

  20. #20

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 1999
    Posts
    3,567

    fired

    Any employee treating a customer like that should be immediately fired. Any owner acting like that would not be in business long.

    Is this a racer on steroids or something? Seems like that sort of conduct is what you get.

    The owner should fire him and offer an apology. That's waaaay out of line.

    Also, if someone is going to be accused of damaging something, at a minimum they should be should the jersey, and *asked* if they know anything about it. Otherwise, you just chalk it up to the cost of doing business. As you say, they'll lose far more than the cost of that jersey now.
    Last edited by DougSloan; 05-24-2004 at 07:06 AM. Reason: edit

  21. #21

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    129

    You've seen "Shane" too many times.

    It's just an argument with a clerk about a jersey.
    Real men don't cause trouble.

  22. #22

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    79

    Very True

    Quote Originally Posted by rodetoruin
    It's just an argument with a clerk about a jersey.
    Real men don't cause trouble.
    That would take me to this jerk's level...I have higher asperations in life...

  23. #23
    n00bsauce
    Reputation: Mel Erickson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    13,507

    What is the goal?

    It appears as though the purpose of the visit was to return a jersey for a refund. Everything else that ensued is simply a diversion. Sure, the clerk was a jerk. Yep, he got poor treatment. No, he shouldn't have to put up with it. However, how does going back to the same clerk and getting in his "space" resolve the problem? That clerk is not about to back down unless someone who has power over him tells him to, like his boss (manager or owner). Bypass the clerk entirely. It's not worth arguing with someone who makes $6 an hour and it won't get the refund. Complain to the manager/owner in strong terms, both about the treatment and the refund. If this doesn't work make sure the distributor knows about the store policies regarding refunds for the merchandise they distribute. There's no guarantee any of this will work and the store can be jerks all they want and refuse the refund. Spreading the word about the poor treatment will hurt them where it matters most and there's more satisfaction gained from seeing them go out of business than arguing with a punk clerk.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

    There are your fog people & your sun people, he said. I said I wasn't sure which kind I was. He nodded. Fog'll do that to you, he said.

    "We are all ignorant about most things."
    Mel Erickson

  24. #24
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,630

    I just got an email from the owner and manager

    they have a different version of events

    I'm not taking sides - I wasn't there - I have no reason to believe (or not believe) anyone

    be warned - I suspect that they will be posting their version of events here shortly - I would contact them directly if you want to wrap this up in privacy - or we could all watch the bunfight which is about to commence very publicly on the board

    whatever happens - good luck

  25. #25
    53T
    53T is offline
    The Right Wing
    Reputation: 53T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    843

    He's trying to rip you off.

    This guy is not a jerk, he is a con-man. Here is the red flag:

    Quote Originally Posted by folsom_rider
    I asked him to show me the item, and he stated it was not at the shop.
    Think about that. Where is the jersey?

    a) returned to distributor, store will be credited

    b) at dry cleaners, store will be out $4 for cleaning

    c) sold already, store has made a profit

    d) jersey is still in the store, clerk is fabricating the whole story

    Under any of these scenerios, this guy is actively trying to rip you off. Any conversation with the police should included this possibility/probability. If the owner is complicit, you may own an LBS yet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. whooo are you? who who, who who?
    By haiku d'etat in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 248
    Last Post: 01-18-2005, 05:24 AM
  2. New to road cycling, frame questions
    By rotary16 in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-19-2004, 11:10 AM
  3. Cyclist road rage = jail time
    By M.J. in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-16-2004, 10:21 AM
  4. LBS looking to become more road friendly
    By mickey-mac in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 02-24-2004, 07:46 AM
  5. LBS looking to become more road friendly
    By mickey-mac in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-23-2004, 09:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.