French Alps episode #3: Villard Notre Dame (across from Alpe d'Huez)
    The view is the reward

French Alps episode #3: Villard Notre Dame (across from Alpe d'Huez)

Here is our video and photo report from one of the most spectacular roads we've ever cycled:

http://www.steephill.tv/2006/villard-notre-dame/

Note: you'll notice major improvements to the video quality provided you have the latest free version of QuickTime installed... otherwise you won't see anything. Both the video frame size and resolution have doubled without making the file size larger.

enjoy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    steephill.tv bike travelogue

RoadBikeReview Member
    That picture reminds me of one of my girlfriends from years ago. Got lost in there, if you know what l mean. Always good.

foz
    naranjito
    Sep 2004
    when I rode down to the Alpes in 1994 to watch the tour, I tried riding up this road, but got into the tunnel, and not having a torch or any form of light to see where I was going, decided the best thing would be to turn back... I've always wondered what is on the other side...

I also remember turning round in the tunnel, riding down again, and almost flying straight off the mountain - right at the exit to the tunnel, there's a sharp left turn, with no barrier to stop you going straight on and straight down if you don't make it round the bend!!!

I'll check out the video later at home - no quicktime here at work.

foz

The view is the reward
    Quote Originally Posted by foz
    when I rode down to the Alpes in 1994 to watch the tour, I tried riding up this road, but got into the tunnel, and not having a torch or any form of light to see where I was going, decided the best thing would be to turn back... I've always wondered what is on the other side...

I also remember turning round in the tunnel, riding down again, and almost flying straight off the mountain - right at the exit to the tunnel, there's a sharp left turn, with no barrier to stop you going straight on and straight down if you don't make it round the bend!!!

I'll check out the video later at home - no quicktime here at work.

foz
    Dark tunnels. All of a sudden you lose all sense of direction and your balance and start stumbling around like a spaz looking for a wall as the lights go out. I've stumbled around in plenty of tunnels. Once I've became completely disoriented and started walking in the direction I had just come from. Yeah, check out the video and let me know what you think.

Lemur-ing
    cool!

How was the ride?

The view is the reward
    Quote Originally Posted by uzziefly
    cool!

How [long] was the ride?
    Yes, I forgot to mention that. The ride was 48K with 1950 m of climbing. Just added that to the report.

Lemur-ing
    Ah you conniving schemer, you edited my post and quoted it?

But no, I mean, how was it? The view, the actual ride, the difficulty and all?

I'd so love to ride somewhere there or the Pyrenees or so...

The view is the reward
    Thanks for editing my question

But no, I mean, how was it? The view, the actual ride, the difficulty and all?

I'd so love to ride somewhere there or the Pyrenees or so...
    Repraising a question is the mark of a good politician. I actually thought you left out a word so I made a correction on your behalf. I think most of your questions about the ride are answered in the report.

Yes, the Pyrenees are a good choice too. I posted some reports from there about this time last year and plan to post a few more from last summer's trip as well.
    Last edited by steephill; 11-09-2006 at 11:57 AM.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    OMG! That's gorgeous! I'm awestruck.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

RoadBikeReview Member

Simply Amazing!

Amazing stuff, Steve. Kinda reminds me of our local mountains here in MT Wish I could take a road trip sometime to the French Alps. Seriously though, you guys gotta make a trip out here to ride the Beartooths. You'll be amazed. Thanks for posting

Ya, what ATP said...!
    Oh Steve... you've done it again. Foggy is several shades of green with envy.

Nice work as always...

Lemur-ing
    Steve, Steve, Steve, there goes another edit! Running for president someday?

I just wish I could go on one of those trips. But I've gotta find others to come along as well so it'll be fun.

Lemur-ing
    Steve, Steve, Steve, another edit eh?

You must be running for president right? hehe.

I'd love to go on one of those trips but I've gotta find guys to go with to make it more fun.. Can't go there alone now can I?

Lemur-ing
    Ah steve, steve, steve, another edit eh?

You must be running for president hehe

I'd love to go on one of those trips but I've gotta get other people too otherwise it won't be fun struggling alone up those mountains!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    Great pictures....

May 2006
    Dude...

Steve, Steve, Steve, there goes another edit! Running for president someday?

I just wish I could go on one of those trips. But I've gotta find others to come along as well so it'll be fun.
    W

Steve, Steve, Steve, another edit eh?

You must be running for president right? hehe.

I'd love to go on one of those trips but I've gotta find guys to go with to make it more fun.. Can't go there alone now can I?
    T

Ah steve, steve, steve, another edit eh?

You must be running for president hehe

I'd love to go on one of those trips but I've gotta get other people too otherwise it won't be fun struggling alone up those mountains!
    F

LOL

May 2006
    incredible ride report - it looks like it was a blast - beautiful pics!

Lemur-ing
    Quote Originally Posted by meathead
    Dude...

W

T

F

LOL

I initially posted once.. but it didn't show up and the same page appeared.. so i did it again.. still nothing.. guess 3rd time's a charm... albeit a triple charm then

when I went back to this thread to read it now, I was like WTF myself!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006
    Steve,

Thanks so much for your ride reports, they really bring back memories for me. Four of us here from Barbados met with a friend in England and went to France in July. The four guys in the group (fifth person was my girlfriend) successfully completed the Etape on the 11th. That was one wicked suffer-fest, I thought Barbados was hot til I got to the base of Alpe D'Huez.

Anyways, we stayed on in Oz En Oisan after and rode a bunch of cols over the next five days including Alpe'D'Huez again (of course), Col de la Croix de Fer, Mt. Ventoux (the opposite side from Tommy Simpson's memorial), Montgenevre on to Sestrieres, and Col du Lautaret on to Col du Galibier.
    There was also this incredible road that we took off of Alpe D'Huez (near hairpin 6??) that took us through some places that look a lot like what you've shown here as well (same road maybe or part of it?) but eventually brought us back to about a third of the way back up the climb to Oz En Oisan ski resort.
    We then watched the tour come up Alpe D'Huez by hairpin 3.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but you're reports really brought back great memories of a fantastic holiday. Thanks again.

S

The view is the reward
    Quote Originally Posted by johngfoster
    Amazing stuff, Steve. Kinda reminds me of our local mountains here in MT Wish I could take a road trip sometime to the French Alps. Seriously though, you guys gotta make a trip out here to ride the Beartooths. You'll be amazed. Thanks for posting
    Montana is high on our list of places to ride in the U.S. We need to pick a good time to do Yellowstone, but we also want to ride in quiet less heralded spots as well. I'll keep the Beartooths in mind. Thanks.

The view is the reward
    Quote Originally Posted by Fogdweller
    Oh Steve... you've done it again. Foggy is several shades of green with envy.

Nice work as always...
    Scott,

No one who lives in the Bay Area should be too envious, but nonetheless, southern France is a cyclist's dream. More reports coming soon...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by steephill
    Scott,

No one who lives in the Bay Area should be too envious, but nonetheless, southern France is a cyclist's dream. More reports coming soon...
    Gotta agree with you there, Steve. The Bay Area is World Class riding.