View Poll Results: Which Brake Do You Use Most?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Front Brake

26 50.00%
  • Rear Brake

9 17.31%
  • Both Evenly

17 32.69%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    You don't understand weight transfer like you think you do.
    Then feel free to enlighten me.

What part of what I said do you disagree with? I assume it's the part you put in bold, all of which is correct - most cars (not all) are heavier at the front, and there is significant weight transfer under braking. Hence larger, vented discs and more powerful calipers on the front in most cars.

I look forward to your response. Otherwise, just saying, effectively, “you're wrong." without elaboration give the appearance of being an ignorant douchebag. I'll assume you were just short on time.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTex91 View Post
    Then feel free to enlighten me.

What part of what I said do you disagree with? I assume it's the part you put in bold, all of which is correct - most cars (not all) are heavier at the front, and there is significant weight transfer under braking. Hence larger, vented discs and more powerful calipers on the front in most cars.

I look forward to your response. Otherwise, just saying, effectively, “you're wrong." without elaboration give the appearance of being an ignorant douchebag. I'll assume you were just short on time.
    You're correct about the 911 and other rear engine cars having more weight at the rear of the car. If that's the extent of what you were saying I stand corrected. If you meant that they don't need larger brakes at the front because of the rear engine layout and it's weight bias, that would be incorrect. The car would still experience enough weight shift to the front under hard braking to take advantage of a larger brake on the front wheels, that explains why Porsche uses 6 piston calipers on the front and 4 piston on the rear of the 911. The rotor sizes are generally the same.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    The car would still experience enough weight shift to the front under hard braking to take advantage of a larger brake on the front wheels, that explains why Porsche uses 6 piston calipers on the front and 4 piston on the rear of the 911. The rotor sizes are generally the same.
    The GT and Turbo models have the larger front rotors
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    You're correct about the 911 and other rear engine cars having more weight at the rear of the car. If that's the extent of what you were saying I stand corrected. If you meant that they don't need larger brakes at the front because of the rear engine layout and it's weight bias, that would be incorrect. The car would still experience enough weight shift to the front under hard braking to take advantage of a larger brake on the front wheels, that explains why Porsche uses 6 piston calipers on the front and 4 piston on the rear of the 911. The rotor sizes are generally the same.
    Then we're in agreement. I was only citing the 911 as one example of a car that was not front heavy in static conditions. The contact patch on the front tires of a 911 still grows significantly under braking.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Cars and motorcycles have shock absorbers which allow the body to shift forward and put more weight on the front wheels. That is why the front brakes are bigger. I always use both brakes because there is always some weight on the rear and I am going to stop better because of that weight on the rear wheel. It is just common sense.
    Last edited by siclmn; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by siclmn View Post
    Cars and motorcycles have shock absorbers which allow the body to shift forward and put more weight on the front wheels. That is why the front brakes are bigger. I always use both brakes because there is always some weight on the rear and I am going to stop better because of that weight on the rear wheel. It is just common sense.
    You're kidding, right? Tell me you're kidding...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    You're kidding, right? Tell me you're kidding...
    Seems like we learn something new everyday here on RBR.

Quote Originally Posted by SwiftSolo View Post
    Seems like we learn something new everyday here on RBR.
    I can read that as 'the laws of physics changes daily here on RBR?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    It's funny, you read something, you think you know what they've asked and you answer. Then you read commentary and realize your an idiot as you in no way understood what the question was.
    When ever I brake i'm always using the front and rear brake. I'm alway squeezing the front more. This is the case even on my cross bike on a 20% decline single track. Thus I answered I use my front brake the most. It would appear maybe that was incorrect, but I'm sticking with it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Smart people stay out of these discussions.... they are more entertainment!
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mackgoo View Post
    It's funny, you read something, you think you know what they've asked and you answer. Then you read commentary and realize your an idiot as you in no way understood what the question was.
    When ever I brake i'm always using the front and rear brake. I'm alway squeezing the front more. This is the case even on my cross bike on a 20% decline single track. Thus I answered I use my front brake the most. It would appear maybe that was incorrect, but I'm sticking with it.
    No, you're definitely correct. There a very few times when using the rear brake alone can be beneficial but it's definitely not necessary to do it that way. If you're 'doing it the right way' you can pretty use only the front brake.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    No, you're definitely correct. There a very few times when using the rear brake alone can be beneficial but it's definitely not necessary to do it that way. If you're 'doing it the right way' you can pretty use only the front brake.
    Exactly as I said:

Rear brake only when you're laying rubber to impress the ladies, or your buddies, or just to impress yourself.

Extra points if you can do a side-slide and still come halting to a stop without doing something stupid.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I use both.
    The only time I use just the rear is coming into a corner and need to bleed some speed, kinda just drag brake style. You need to do this before the corner is on. I don't like using the front brake on turn in, it just can go so wrong.
    ... and just rolling along and need to slow a little.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mackgoo View Post
    Then you read commentary and realize your an idiot as you in no way understood what the question was.
    It's you're as in you are, not your. Speaking of idiots.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    It's you're as in you are, not your. Speaking of idiots.
    It truly boggles my mind that so many people can't get that figured out. There/they're/their...were/we're...people that randomly insert apostrophes. And many of them get all pissy when you call them out on it. C'mon people, you should have that mastered in 4th grade. How are we supposed to take you seriously when you can't handle basic grammar?

RoadBikeReview Member
    It truly boggles my mind that so many people can't get that figured out. There/they're/their...were/we're...people that randomly insert apostrophes. And many of them get all pissy when you call them out on it. C'mon people, you should have that mastered in 4th grade. How are we supposed to take you seriously when you can't handle basic grammar?
    And let's not forget to/too/two. What's more mind boggling is there are people with much higher formal education than me who make all the errors stated above. And they don't even have the excuse of English being a second language.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    And let's not forget to/too/two. What's more mind boggling is there are people with much higher formal education than me who make all the errors stated above. And they don't even have the excuse of English being a second language.

Bravo. Could either you or cxwrench visit "Cycling Cleanest Sport" thread currently up. Thanks. OP "could care less."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    I grew up on the South Shore, you shood heah me tock.
    Thankfully we have members here who truly know what's important.
    Oh, and I never use exclamation points.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    I can read that as 'the laws of physics changes daily here on RBR?
    It's a bit like the past. It's getting harder and harder to predict history. It makes you wonder if the same folks are the ones revising both.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I live in hilly San Francisco and almost exclusively use the front brake. I have way more control with that. When I need to stop more quickly than a controlled front brake application will allow, I'll employ the rear brake. This pretty much only happens on the steepest descents. I never use the back brake in a turn. That's asking for a rear wheel skid. If you're bombing the hill, you gotta slow it down before you're in the turn anyway. Same for both disc and rim brakes.
    Pop a wheelie!

Icicle Bay a.k.a. Beetlebaum - Black Cat Disc Roadie
    Tang (CX) - 198? Curtlo Cyclocross (she's heavy, but she's mine)

Quote Originally Posted by AndreSF View Post
    I live in hilly San Francisco and almost exclusively use the front brake. I have way more control with that. When I need to stop more quickly than a controlled front brake application will allow, I'll employ the rear brake. This pretty much only happens on the steepest descents. I never use the back brake in a turn. That's asking for a rear wheel skid. If you're bombing the hill, you gotta slow it down before you're in the turn anyway. Same for both disc and rim brakes.
    Not always true...as with anything it's all about control.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Jeez, not you too? I'm a little shocked!

Has your life become so boring that you have nothing better to do than critique punctuation on internet forums (notice the period rather than a question mark). Have you never been in a hurry and made spelling errors or used your instead of you're in a moment of haste.

Consider that these are not be thesis level premises being espoused/spewed here on RBR. For many, this is something we do to piss away time between important matters. If we can help someone with a problem, question, or misinformation and not use more than a few minutes, we throw a response together.

Does RBR have so many contributors that we can afford to piss folks off with petty bullsh!t?

Jeez, not you too? I'm a little shocked!

Has your life become so boring that you have nothing better to do than critique punctuation on internet forums (notice the period rather than a question mark). Have you never been in a hurry and made spelling errors or used your instead of you're in a moment of haste.

Consider that these are not be thesis level premises being espoused/spewed here on RBR. For many, this is something we do to piss away time between important matters. If we can help someone with a problem, question, or misinformation and not use more than a few minutes, we throw a response together.

Does RBR have so many contributors that we can afford to piss folks off with petty bullsh!t?
    Obviously I don't care if I piss off someone that didn't pay attention from 1st thru 8th grade. I guess we'll both just have to deal with it.

xxl

Consider that these are not be thesis level premises...."
    There should be a hyphen between "thesis" and "level," i.e., "thesis-level," to denote that the phrase modifies "premises" as a compound modifier (cf. https://www.grammarly.com/blog/hyphen/).

I can certainly make clear what you meant, but think of RBR's foreign readers, many of whom may not be reading in their native language, and who might be confused by your gibberish.

Obviously I don't care if I piss off someone that didn't pay attention from 1st thru 8th grade. I guess we'll both just have to deal with it.
    Word.
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    There should be a hyphen between "thesis" and "level," i.e., "thesis-level," to denote that the phrase modifies "premises" as a compound modifier (cf. https://www.grammarly.com/blog/hyphen/).

I can certainly make clear what you meant, but think of RBR's foreign readers, many of whom may not be reading in their native language, and who might be confused by your gibberish.

Word.
    Well help me out. Is it kiss-my-ass or kiss my ass?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast