Front vs Rear Brake... Which Do You Use Most? - Page 4

View Poll Results: Which Brake Do You Use Most?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Front Brake

    28 50.00%
  • Rear Brake

    11 19.64%
  • Both Evenly

    17 30.36%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 76 to 94 of 94
  1. #76
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    477
    I agree. Brifter is a lame word. But man, you need a life.

  2. #77
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    3,099
    I don't think hypen's are required ever. If you want to link the words just forget the space!

    I learned to read in the 3rd grade, so booger off.
    BANNED

  3. #78
    xxl
    xxl is offline
    Moderator
    Reputation: xxl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    35,586
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftSolo View Post
    Well help me out. Is it kiss-my-ass or kiss my ass?
    You'd know far better than me, given how much practice you've devoted to it, not to mention that second-grade education of yours.
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

    Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

    "Oh my god. This is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I’m f—d.”

  4. #79
    [REDACTED]
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    9,458
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    I don't think hypen's........
    I have to ass-u-me that was intentional.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein



  5. #80
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    14,187
    Quote Originally Posted by mackgoo View Post
    I agree. Brifter is a lame word. But man, you need a life.
    I see what you did there. And I have quite a nice life at this point, no extra life is needed. If people don't want to get corrected they should have paid attention in grade school. They should be able to construct coherent sentences and use the correct forms of commonly used words. How can I take someone seriously when they're (not there, not their) unable to communicate at a basic level?
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

  6. #81
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    7,744
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    I see what you did there. And I have quite a nice life at this point, no extra life is needed. If people don't want to get corrected they should have paid attention in grade school. They should be able to construct coherent sentences and use the correct forms of commonly used words. How can I take someone seriously when they're (not there, not their) unable to communicate at a basic level?
    Let me start by pointing out that I mean no disrespect to you. You have been a valuable contributor to this forum.

    The thing that you're overlooking is the stereotypical image you're painting of yourself as a typical know-nothing BA graduate with no marketable skills beyond english composition. Lacking intelligent rebutal to points of disagreement, they deal with their insecurity by attempting to illustrate the relative minutiae of punctuation errors.

  7. #82
    [REDACTED]
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    9,458
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftSolo View Post
    The thing that you're overlooking is the stereotypical image you're painting of yourself as a typical know-nothing BA graduate with no marketable skills beyond english composition. Lacking intelligent rebutal to points of disagreement, they deal with their insecurity by attempting to illustrate the relative minutiae of punctuation errors.
    People love to bash BA graduates as being unmarketable. Dude, we all fill a niche in society. I think CX makes a very good point that without certain skills that should have been learned in grade school, communication would be less than effective.

    I can tolerate errors on this level from people who speak English as a second language. For the rest of us, it's inexcusable.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein



  8. #83
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    7,744
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    People love to bash BA graduates as being unmarketable. Dude, we all fill a niche in society. I think CX makes a very good point that without certain skills that should have been learned in grade school, communication would be less than effective.

    I can tolerate errors on this level from people who speak English as a second language. For the rest of us, it's inexcusable.
    First, you misunderstood what I said.

    To help you along, educated folks should know that you need to read an entire statement to understand context. Consider that a "BA graduate with no marketable skills" may be, and often is, an entirely different individual than a "BA graduate". Further, a BA degree has little to do with an individuals ability to contribute value to this forum (beyond providing the all important punctuation correction that folks looking for answers to cycling question so desperately seek)

    I'd suggest that deductive reasoning skills are more important to understanding on this forum than punctuation. Further it is lacking in a more seriously significant way.

    Do let me know if it was punctuation that confused you (or my failure to add an "s" to "question").

    A good suggestion might be to simply withhold your valuable response to those ignorant people who forget periods at the end of sentences. Why would you waste your valuable time on these inferior and uneducated losers?

  9. #84
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    14,187
    No need to over think this. A single mistake every now and then is going to happen. Members that continually misuse common words every time they post and use poor grammar as a rule rather than the exception are what I'm complaining about. How can I believe any technical point they are trying to make when they can't write in their native language at the level of a 10 year old kid that pays attention in class?
    I don't have any problem understanding the context of the post, I just find it annoying when I have to read through all the mistakes along the way. It's so easy to get these things right...just make the minimum effort. You don't care, I get it. They don't care. There's a little too much of 'I don't care'.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

  10. #85
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    477
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    No need to over think this. A single mistake every now and then is going to happen. Members that continually misuse common words every time they post and use poor grammar as a rule rather than the exception are what I'm complaining about. How can I believe any technical point they are trying to make when they can't write in their native language at the level of a 10 year old kid that pays attention in class?
    I don't have any problem understanding the context of the post, I just find it annoying when I have to read through all the mistakes along the way. It's so easy to get these things right...just make the minimum effort. You don't care, I get it. They don't care. There's a little too much of 'I don't care'.
    I'm confused. What did you omit without altering its meaning?

  11. #86
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    7,744
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    No need to over think this. A single mistake every now and then is going to happen. Members that continually misuse common words every time they post and use poor grammar as a rule rather than the exception are what I'm complaining about. How can I believe any technical point they are trying to make when they can't write in their native language at the level of a 10 year old kid that pays attention in class?
    I don't have any problem understanding the context of the post, I just find it annoying when I have to read through all the mistakes along the way. It's so easy to get these things right...just make the minimum effort. You don't care, I get it. They don't care. There's a little too much of 'I don't care'.

    Your time is better served when you call out zealots who render their uneducated observations on new products without ever suffering the inconvenience of actually trying them first.

    Punctuation violators are unlikely to mislead those looking for valid opinions.
    Last edited by SwiftSolo; 01-31-2019 at 02:30 PM.

  12. #87
    [REDACTED]
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    9,458
    I realized I made a grammatical error in post #66. Let's see who can find it.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein



  13. #88
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: PBL450's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,164
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    No need to over think this. A single mistake every now and then is going to happen. Members that continually misuse common words every time they post and use poor grammar as a rule rather than the exception are what I'm complaining about. How can I believe any technical point they are trying to make when they can't write in their native language at the level of a 10 year old kid that pays attention in class?
    I don't have any problem understanding the context of the post, I just find it annoying when I have to read through all the mistakes along the way. It's so easy to get these things right...just make the minimum effort. You don't care, I get it. They don't care. There's a little too much of 'I don't care'.
    This is so well said... I have taught grad students for years... pushing 2 decades. Laziness in grammar and structure is rampant and I suspect it is from lazy faculty more than anything. The first round of failing assignment grades tied to the mechanics of their writing does wonders. After a wake-up call their writing generally improves dramatically. Hence, lazy, not lacking... Yes, of course there are students that need help and I’ve always been happy to do that, but simply demanding professional standards fixes an amazing amount of poor writing. In the immortal words of Truman Capote, “good writing isn’t written... it is re-written.”
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

  14. #89
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    251
    I use them evenly mostly, especially if I need to stop quickly. I typically use both when stopping. I've been doing ever since I've been riding a bike and won't stop now; it works for me.
    Last edited by Methodical; 02-01-2019 at 09:15 AM.

  15. #90
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    251
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R. View Post
    If you're in a group following wheels at speed and don't have your fingers on your front brake then you're definitely a newb.
    I usually catch the wind to slow down as oppose to braking when possible when in a paceline. That sudden braking wreaks havoc for those behind you. I've had folks do that and had to quickly swerve out into the roadway to avoid the fool.

  16. #91
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    584
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodical View Post
    I usually catch the wind to slow down as oppose to braking when possible when in a paceline. That sudden braking wreaks havoc for those behind you. I've had folks do that and had to quickly swerve out into the roadway to avoid the fool.
    Yes, good point. I was thinking more along the line of a quick pulse on the brake when riders ahead slow unexpectedly. If I hit the rear brake instead the rear tire will likely skid and slowing will be slower.

  17. #92
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,426
    There are two brake levers. I use both.

  18. #93
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    251
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R. View Post
    Yes, good point. I was thinking more along the line of a quick pulse on the brake when riders ahead slow unexpectedly. If I hit the rear brake instead the rear tire will likely skid and slowing will be slower.
    Got it.

  19. #94
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    146
    I use both at the same time.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Similar Threads

  1. Disc Front Brake / Rim Caliper Rear Brake Experiment
    By mrwirey in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 02-20-2016, 04:08 AM
  2. Right front brake, left front brake?
    By tihsepa in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 03-20-2014, 10:45 AM
  3. Why is it front brake is stronger than rear brake?
    By nolight in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 01-08-2013, 07:50 PM
  4. Front Brake vs. Rear....Which is Which????
    By bowler1 in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 03-08-2007, 09:11 AM
  5. Rear Brake as Front Brake?
    By HillMan in forum Fixed/Single Speed
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-12-2006, 08:32 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.