Fuji Transonic 2.3 Review
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2015

Fuji Transonic 2.3 Review

I just got my Fuji Transonic in and it is sweet. Ultegra group set, decent wheels. I have SDP-L pedals on it and a Louis Garneu Aero bag and CatEye Rapid 2 rear light.. The bike actually weighs in at 17.0 lbs with everthing on it (except me). The CatEye light is great for the Aero seat post.

I did 50 miles on rolling hills in 2:32. Handles bumps and rough roads surpising good. I had a shorter stem put on. The Oval saddle is not bad but I am going to replace with a Sella Italia. I might upgrade the wheels soon, not sure. I highly recommend it for the money. I was going to get the 2.1 with the Ultegra Di2 package but quite honestly, the mechanical Ultegra 6800 shifts flawelessy and without effort.

The direct mount breaks are very responsive and powerful!

If you have any questions...ask away!

Fuji Transonic 1.jpg

Fuji Cockpit.jpg

Fuji Transonic 2.jpg

Fuji Brake Front.jpg

Fuji Light.jpg
    Last edited by Mengtian; 06-21-2015 at 02:07 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Nice. You bought it at Performance?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Not a question. You need to get some aero wheels with that bike! If I were you, I'd get some Zipp 404 (front) and 808 (rear). Awesome bike! I test rode one while back with a Ultegra setup, but used my zipp wheels and I felt it was much faster than my Cannondale Evo.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Congrats on your new bike. Its beautiful, enjoy!
    Is the cassette 11-28 or 25, and what kind of tires are those?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Keoki View Post
    Not a question. You need to get some aero wheels with that bike! If I were you, I'd get some Zipp 404 (front) and 808 (rear). Awesome bike! I test rode one while back with a Ultegra setup, but used my zipp wheels and I felt it was much faster than my Cannondale Evo.
    I know! That is one reason I did not get the 2.1 which was 1100 bucks more for the Di2 set. Granted,,,,that is a great deal..but I like the mechanical shifting and I can use that money to get some nice wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by WWJD View Post
    Congrats on your new bike. Its beautiful, enjoy!
    Is the cassette 11-28 or 25, and what kind of tires are those?
    It is 105 caseette 11-28.
    Quote Originally Posted by bike981 View Post
    Nice. You bought it at Performance?
    Performance said it would take about two weeks to get in and then assembled, I got it from another dealer that matched the price and gave me a military discount, I lost out on the points but I needed the bike for a ride this weekend. And quite honestly, I like to support local businesses instead of franchised stores.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2015
    I am thinking about HED Jet5...any thoughts? I never had a set like it.
    2014 HED Jet 5 Wheel. Great Road Racing, no shipping, no tax, free garmin edge 510 with order

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Mengtian View Post
    I am thinking about HED Jet5...any thoughts? I never had a set like it.
    2014 HED Jet 5 Wheel. Great Road Racing, no shipping, no tax, free garmin edge 510 with order
    I am not sure whether you know, but you can get a set of carbon Reynolds Assault or Reynolds Attack or Ritchey Logic Aero wheels for pretty much the same price. They would be substantially lighter in my opinion.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    No free Garmin though and that's a nice perk.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    The HED 5 is a good choice - not as aero as their + wheelsets, but still a solid choice at that price. The SCT tuning seems to help with crosswinds, but they still will move you around in the wind (I have the 10-speed version). November Rail 52 would be a carbon wheel at the same price.

It also looks like you've set it up with quite an upright position - nothing wrong with it, but it does decrease the aero value overall.

HERKWO
    Nothing beats a new bike! Congrats and thanks for your service.
    If your going to be doing Tris or a lot of Time Trials then go for the HED 5s. I had a pair but sold them as I was not seeing the benefit with my riding style. Crosswinds will also be a bit of a challenge w/ them too.
    A compromise I'd shoot for would be a pair of Dura Ace 9000 C35 wheels. 35mm deep but also light (1448g per competitivecyclist) w/ the outstanding performance of the Durra Ace hubs. If you shop around you'll get them for a similar price.
    HERKWO

Huge in Japan
    What are "direct mount breaks"?
    Interwebs bumpersticker goes here

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by craiger_ny View Post
    What are "direct mount breaks"?
    Brakes LOL
    Here is a good article explaining them:
    The Retrogrouch: Direct Mount Brakes?

3-659x440.jpgshimano direct mount.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2015
    Some more thoughts on the Transonic:

This is not going to be my commute bike but I decided to take it to work today to see how it did. A direct shot to work is 19 miles. I use that as a guage for my times because when I get to that point I will bike another 2 to 10 miles depending on how I feel.

Anyway, light breeze (3 mph, cross, tail, and head so it evens out) nice and sunny. I averaged 19.3 mph. My normal average is 17.5 to 18. No, to be honest I think I was going pretty hard but not all out LOL. BUt the point is that I never went below 15 MPH. Hills I would average 15 to 16 mph I was doing 17 or better with about the same perceived effort.

After the 19 miles I decided to do a few 2 mile laps in an area free of traffic. Same are I normally do. I stayed at about 19 to 20 mph for 4 laps. I was not really pushing it and it was faster than I do on my Lemond.

Bottom line: I love this bike! I am reconidering getting new wheels at this point. I just can't see the benefit right now. I will keep my eyes out for good deals and possibly get a set in the future.

BTW: I can see how tis is not a climbing bike..but for rolling hills and medium grades that do not last more than a couple of miles it is awesome. It is very responsive accelerating on hills and shifting while climbing is very smooth.

I am glad I did not spend the money on the Di2....I just do not see the advantage vs price at this time....at least for my use

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    If I were you, I would get some aero wheels.

Think about this:

Transonic + Aero Wheels + screaming downhills + super risky aero tuck position = ☺

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Keoki View Post
    If I were you, I would get some aero wheels.

Think about this:

Transonic + Aero Wheels + screaming downhills + super risky aero tuck position = ☺
    I hear ya...and quite honestly they look super cool....but I don't have any screaming hills to go down in TX (at least where I live) Myabe my house in NH