Fun with eBay scammer
    RoadBikeReview Member

Talking Fun with eBay scammer

Here is the email correspondence I had with 'Mary' regarding the Colnago. Start from the bottom and read up to keep it in chronological order. Please note the Chris King question/answer and the Speedplay question/answer. eBay has pulled the auction already. Enjoy reading!

Dave wrote:

One last thing. I have been in contact with the Italian police and they have been monitoring the email traffic between you and I. As a result, the have contacted your ISP and received the location of the computer that has been assigned the IP address you are using. In a nutshell, they know your exact address and they are on their way now to arrest you for attempted wire fraud. eBay has already pulled your auction. Have a nice evening and please say hello to the police when they knock on your door.

Have a great day!

Dave

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Wednesday, September 01, 2004 3:56 PM
    To: Dave
    Subject: RE: Question for item #3697545250 - 2003 Colnago Dream B-Stay Road Bike

ok sir

i am waitting for the payment confirmation

and please send me the copy from the western union but cover the transfer umber

have a nice day

Dave wrote:

OK, I will send the money though I am a little confused. The emails come from Mary but the money goes to Thomas???? Well, I trust you. My information is:

Name – John Elway
    Address – 2 Superbowl Rings
    City – Denver
    State – CO
    Zip Code - 80138

Dave

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Wednesday, September 01, 2004 3:51 PM
    Subject: RE: Question for item #3697545250 - 2003 Colnago Dream B-Stay Road Bike

dear sir

my details are :

first name :Thomas

last name :Sweeten

Via Carlo Pisacane #45

Roma

Italy

please send me your details

Dave wrote:

I will go to the Western Union office as soon as I get off work. Who do I send the money to? What is your name and address? I can’t wait to get this bike. I hate to be a bother, but is the seat also carbon fiber with the special cutout for the prostate?

Dave

Sent: Wednesday, September 01, 2004 3:40 PM

dear sir

you do not send the money realy to me because when you send me the scanned paper from thre payment you cover the transfer number for safety and you will give me the number when you will receive the bike in 2 days

and yes is the spleedplay pedals

contact me soon and lets make the deal

Dave wrote:

I would never scam as that is not ethical. I am just a little concerned about sending so much money to someone I don’t know to buy a bike I can’t see who lists Frisco, CO as her address but really lives in Italy. Since I have a friend in Italy right now, I am comfortable sending him the money and letting him make the purchase.

Thanks for the information about the Chris King NoThreadSet. I also have a question about the pedals. Are these the new pedals Speedplay just released with the plutonium oxide hardened platforms and carbon fiber seat stays? Thanks again

Dave

Sent: Wednesday, September 01, 2004 3:10 PM

yes that is the one

have anice day

Dave wrote:

Also, since it is hard to tell from the picture on eBay, is the Chris King headset the new ‘NoThreadset’ that is made from unobtanium alloy with the square taper roller bearings?

Dave

Sent: Wednesday, September 01, 2004 3:03 PM

no good sir

i dont accept cashiers check that is the most common scamm please make the payment tomorow

and i will meet your friend

have a nice day

Dave wrote:

I just got off the phone with my friend and he is willing to travel to Torrino since this is such a great deal. He will have an Certified Cashiers check for you in the amount of $4,000 USD. I know this is more than the cost of the bike but it is what I owe him. If you would please accept the check and send me the difference, minus an additional 10% for your trouble, via Western Union, I would appreciate it. Where should my friend meet you in Torrino?

Dave

Sent: Wednesday, September 01, 2004 2:38 PM

dear sir

that is ok but i am working till late and after work i am going to my coussin in torino

and any way for that i need to have the payment confirmation tomorow

have a nice day

Dave wrote:

I just had a thought! I have a friend who will be in Rome Friday. I will give have him meet with you to pick up the bike. What would be a good time and place for him to meet?

Dave

Sent: Wednesday, September 01, 2004 2:25 PM

no sir the bike is new i have receve it as a gift but i am not a biker and that it is why i am selling it

i will send the bike via UPS it will arrive at your home in max 2 days

you must send the payment via western union because is faster and when you make the payment must send me a copy from the paper from western union for verification

if you are interested i can stop the listing for you and we can make the deal very fast

regards

Dave wrote:

Ahh, I did not realize there were scammers on eBay. Is that a common problem? What can you tell me about the bike since I will be buying the bike sight unseen? How would I pay you?

Sent: Wednesday, September 01, 2004 2:18 PM
    Subject: Re: Question for item #3697545250 - 2003 Colnago Dream B-Stay Road Bike

dear sir

i live in Italy Roma

i use address and an IP from usa because of the scammers on ebay

but i send the bike tomorow if you are interested via UPS service verry safe and fast

and it will arrive at your home in max 2 days

have anice day

Question about your item

Dear mountainjamski,

I live in Denver, Colorado and I would like to purchase this bike immediately. Would it be possible to meet in Frisco, about 2 hour dri ve, and pay cash for the bike? Thanks

Nov 2001
    Cool! I love it!! great job... too bad you couldnt drag it a bit longer and have more fun with it..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003

I'm sorry

but this is way to funny.

Thanks for the good laugh!

Arrogant roadie.....
    You are wasting your time. Not only do the Carbinieri in Italy have more important things to do, chances are about 99% that the person ain't even in Italy. With WU, as long as you have the correct info (which may include the fake address they gave), you can pick it up anywhere. Lagos Nigeria and Accra, Ghana are where 99% of these scams originate from. The IP is likely just a mirror. At best, it's just a public terminal at an internet cafe in some African hell-hole.

Nope, what you should've done was just keep giving them fake WU numbers. Waste their time-that's all you can do.
    We are the 801
    We are the central shaft

Nov 2001
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Stohler
    ---snip-----
    Nope, what you should've done was just keep giving them fake WU numbers. Waste their time-that's all you can do.
    Not a good idea.. as fake as they are, it doesn't allow you to do anything illegal. Giving a fake WU number is fraud..

RoadBikeReview Member

Wink Stohler, give me a break

You are wasting your time. Not only do the Carbinieri in Italy have more important things to do, chances are about 99% that the person ain't even in Italy. With WU, as long as you have the correct info (which may include the fake address they gave), you can pick it up anywhere. Lagos Nigeria and Accra, Ghana are where 99% of these scams originate from. The IP is likely just a mirror. At best, it's just a public terminal at an internet cafe in some African hell-hole.

Do you really think whoever was on the other end knows anything about IP addresses, etc? And yes oh great God of the small ring, I know the Italian police have better things to do. Jeesh, sometimes you're as sharp as the scammers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004

Too damn funny

Lol! That was great! Nice job BrokenSpoke

Arrogant roadie.....

Hahahahahahahaha!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sorebut
    Not a good idea.. as fake as they are, it doesn't allow you to do anything illegal. Giving a fake WU number is fraud..
    Oh, I can just see them going up to the Nigerian police (snicker) and telling them that some guy they are ripping off (snort!!) just gave them a fraudulent WU number BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!.

Sorry....I just couldn't hold it in any longer. Do you realize just how ridiculous your post really was??
    We are the 801
    We are the central shaft

Nov 2001
    Oh, I can just see them going up to the Nigerian police (snicker) and telling them that some guy they are ripping off (snort!!) just gave them a fraudulent WU number BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!.

Sorry....I just couldn't hold it in any longer. Do you realize just how ridiculous your post really was??
    Im not talkign about Nigeria.. Western Union is a US company...

Arrogant roadie.....

Oh great god of the poorly-built wheel:

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenSpoke
    Do you really think whoever was on the other end knows anything about IP addresses, etc? And yes oh great God of the small ring, I know the Italian police have better things to do. Jeesh, sometimes you're as sharp as the scammers.
    Don't you realize there is a person who recruits these scammers and sets them up with their computer access? This is the person who will usually "close" the scam (which is why you will often see the later letters written differently), or will be the person who will "front" them the money needed for air freight for DHL delivery of the checks. This person knows at least basic internet therory. The dope who sends you the e-mail probably doesn't.
    We are the 801
    We are the central shaft

RoadBikeReview Member

Cool I recieved this one through e-bay. Having nothing to do with an auction.

I notified e-bay and went on to use his e-mail to enter sweepstakes and request information. His "gay men newsletter" should be in his mail box any day. HEY...WHAT ELSE COULD I DO FOR SUCH A NICE GUY? Spam is the word.

Hello, we are searching for foreign company (person or organization) in USA to represent our company and receive payments on our behalf for a reward of defined percentage of sales volume. Payments will come for our goods from US buyers in form of paypal, cashier's check or money order. You don't need to spend anything for beginning, all relations will be controlled by the contract. Further info is available on request. Get back to me as soon as possible. Thanks, Guadalupe

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    Love the scam the scammers.

Jun 2004
    that is some great reading! Thanks for the laugh