Garmin 500 - broken mounting tab
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

Garmin 500 - broken mounting tab

Ugh. My Garmin 500 is only 4 months old, and already one of the white plastic tab mounts on the unit broke. No crashes, falls, events, etc. I just noticed it. Not impressed. I saw some of the pros using Garmin 500s during the Classics had rubber bands holding the head unit to the stem. I couldn't figure out how the head unit could come off on a typical functioning mount... now I understand. These tabs break even under my normal use.

I think I'll try to warranty it. This is a manufacturing/design/material issue. Again, not abused, crashed, subjected to abnormal use.

Keep an eye on those tabs so you don't pitch your 500 during a ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2006

you should have rubber bands also

you should have black rubber bands that came with your unit. thats what i have holding mine and and have no problem

RoadBikeReview Member
    This may be a stupid question but are you sure its a 500? My understand is that all of the 500's came with the rubber band setup. From all the videos I've seen the 500 "twists" off the mount and there are no clips involved. I do not have one though so I could be wrong. I used my buddies 205 for awhile and after getting stuck in a surprise sleet storm got clumsy with frozen fingers and broke the tab on the 205.....

RoadBikeReview Member
    I guess my description wasn't clear enough. The problem is not with the mount, which is held on to the stem/handlebar/whatever by rubber bands, but the tabs on the unit, which are used to secure the unit to the mount. Here's a photo that might make the problem more clear:
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2006

ok ok ok

sorry i thought you were meaning the mounting system. i have had mine for about 3 months now and have no had that problem. call garmin and see what they say. it should still be under warranty. good luck

Shut up legs!
    Did the tab break off when you mounted or dismounted the unit? Or the unit was on the bike while the tab broke off during a ride? Please let us know if Garmin is willing to warranty this.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Gotcha. Good luck with garmin. Keep us posted on your progress.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    ahhhhhhhhhhhhh I was just admiring today how nice the locking system is. So much better than the cateye stuff I used to use that would always break on me after multiple mounts/dismounts.

:sigh: I guess nothing is perfect.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Did the tab break off when you mounted or dismounted the unit? Or the unit was on the bike while the tab broke off during a ride?
    No idea, really. I found the broken piece in the mount on one of my bikes. Really odd. I commute on some pretty rough roads and use it on my commuter, but I found the piece on one of my other bikes.

Team Tom's
    This sucks. This is the unit I'm about to purchase.

Sep 2007
    Garmin should warranty this. They should send you a replacement unit or swap the back cover for a new one. As you say, likely a material, design or manufacturing problem. I imagine that insertion stress probably weakened the tab leading to failure. Hopefully, this is a one off situation.
    Old La Honda in less than 20 minutes! Or you can watch race video from the low-key hill climb on Welch Creek. More at www.biketelemetry.com.

"I think," said Christopher Robin, "that we ought to eat all our Provisions now, so that we shan't have so much to carry.", Winnie-the-Pooh, A. A. Milne.

Team Tom's
    Yeah, if it's a defective design, a bunch of these are going to start popping up all over. Considering the time its been since it's come out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_John
    Ugh. My Garmin 500 is only 4 months old, and already one of the white plastic tab mounts on the unit broke. No crashes, falls, events, etc. I just noticed it. Not impressed. I saw some of the pros using Garmin 500s during the Classics had rubber bands holding the head unit to the stem. I couldn't figure out how the head unit could come off on a typical functioning mount... now I understand. These tabs break even under my normal use.

I think I'll try to warranty it. This is a manufacturing/design/material issue. Again, not abused, crashed, subjected to abnormal use.

Keep an eye on those tabs so you don't pitch your 500 during a ride.

do you live in a cold environment, where the plastic could have frozen and become brittle?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    Any update on the outcome from Garmin on this?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    There was another case of incidental and sudden breakage of one of the tabs on some big name cycling blog. I thought it was on Cozy Beehive, but I cannot find it. :sigh: :\

RoadBikeReview Member

Warranty

If you purchased it at REI or Performance just take it back for a replacement, no questions asked. Both stores have 100% replacement policy, no time limits etc. I buy all my tech stuff from either store because of this. Anecdotal story: I had a garmin 305 for about 5 years, no problems, even though I read about the battery problem (battery is mounted with springs which fatigue over time). Then last month my unit wouldn't work, probably the springs. I returned it to REI and they gave me the full retail price that I paid, not the new reduced price. I used the refund to get the 500 with heart rate cadence etc. I know that if I keep this for 5-10 years and it goes on the fritz, I will be able to take it back again for whatever Garmin comes out with in the future. I know you don't get the lowest price, but it's cometitive and the warranties can't be beat.

Shut up legs!
    Did you need to present the receipt for the exchange?

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaPI
    If you purchased it at REI or Performance just take it back for a replacement, no questions asked. Both stores have 100% replacement policy, no time limits etc. I buy all my tech stuff from either store because of this. Anecdotal story: I had a garmin 305 for about 5 years, no problems, even though I read about the battery problem (battery is mounted with springs which fatigue over time). Then last month my unit wouldn't work, probably the springs. I returned it to REI and they gave me the full retail price that I paid, not the new reduced price. I used the refund to get the 500 with heart rate cadence etc. I know that if I keep this for 5-10 years and it goes on the fritz, I will be able to take it back again for whatever Garmin comes out with in the future. I know you don't get the lowest price, but it's cometitive and the warranties can't be beat.

RoadBikeReview Member

No receipt required

I didn't need a receipt either. I'm a member of both REI and Performance. REI looked up my purchase under my membership number and that was it even though it was years ago. I called the customer service line first to confirm everything, and it went very smooth. In and out of REI in 5 minutes with a new Garmin 500. I guess it works because everyone doesn't use the warranty and with the mark-up for retail they still come out ahead.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    I did that with my 305 too. Both of 'em. First one lasted about 20 months, 2nd lasted 10 months. Ended up with a 500. It's been strong thus far. I like REI

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    I had no idea REI did that. Looks like I'll be doing some shopping there in the future.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by LegendRider
    I had no idea REI did that. Looks like I'll be doing some shopping there in the future.
    You have to join in order to get that deal.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Not a problem. Sounds like it would be worth it in the long run.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    I didn't need a receipt either. I'm a member of both REI and Performance. REI looked up my purchase under my membership number and that was it even though it was years ago. I called the customer service line first to confirm everything, and it went very smooth. In and out of REI in 5 minutes with a new Garmin 500. I guess it works because everyone doesn't use the warranty and with the mark-up for retail they still come out ahead.
    I am a member and bought my 500 online. This is information I didn't have before, thank you and boy am I glad I shop at REI now. Oh and thanks to Dr John for the heads up on the breaking tab thing.

Shut up legs!
    Isn't it only $5 to join REI for life?

So. Calif.

Rei

yes, REI is a really good place to shop for many items.

If you become a member and join their "co-op" -- $20 for a lifetime membership -- then you get a 7-8% yearly rebate on items purchased.

Nutrition products (Clif bars, gels, etc) are 20% off all the time, if you buy 12 or more items ... very competitive.

They have general 20% discount sales about every 3 months for 'members only', unfortunately electronic techno-gadgets are usually excluded.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast