Garmin 520 or Garmin Forerunner 920XT
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    "Ride lots." ~ Eddy Merck
    Reputation: LuckyB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    267

    Garmin 520 or Garmin Forerunner 920XT

    I ride a bike, more and more the last few years. I use to run all the time but as I started riding my bike more, I ran less and less. Well now I'm running more as I have a few clients that know my past and are urging me to run a Sprint Tri with them this spring. I was pretty set on getting a Garmin 520 to upgrade my wired Sigma. However now that my attention has been drawn back to running, I'm thinking if I going to lay down some coin for new gadgets I should maybe consider a dual sport Garmin. I was talking with an old running buddy, at a Thanksgiving 5K race, that also pedals around but still is a "runner" about finally getting a Garmin because he was fussing with his Garmin watch prior to the start of the race. He uses the same watch with his bike.

    My question? What do you 2 sport or 3, I guess, athletes use? A bike computer and a Timex Triathlon or are you using a Garmin like the Forerunner 920?
    2012 Giant Defy Comp 3
    1982 UE-8 Peugeot "̶1̶0̶ ̶s̶p̶e̶e̶d̶"̶ 7 speed
    1982 Peugeot UE-18 Mixte SS

  2. #2
    Neophyte
    Reputation: jetdog9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,990
    I think a lot of multi-sport people use multiple devices. I know my friend who is big int triathlons loves his 920XT but also has an Edge on his bike and he'll use both at the same time. Maybe for backup, maybe to spread the load over multiple sensors that he uses, I forget.

    I would say this:
    -Whatever you get, have GPS+GLONASS, not just GPS. The 920XT does have GPS+GLONASS.
    -If you get a watch, MAKE SURE you can set cycling average cadence to use non-zero average.

    I have a Garmin Fenix2... it works okay, I'm not getting rid of it, but GPS signal is suspect under any sort of tree cover. It does not have GLONASS. But what I really HATE about it is that cycling average cadence is calculated counting zero cadence.

    I love my Edge 520, and liked my 500 a lot except the GPS signal wasn't always great. But it is nice to have a watch for running and maybe swimming.

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Alfonsina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    940
    I rather like the 910, but I never do stuff like maps, it is fine for a bike (I just strap it on the bike, I don't have a mount) and use the pod for running (hah) and it is great for swimming. Previous I had the 500 for the bike (I still like that and use both at the same time on indoor rides) and a polar for everything else. I am not an actual athlete but it was great for the tri's that I did. Multi sport is great.

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,230
    I landed up getting the 500 and 910. With the discounted prices of the two, you can darn near get them both for the current price of the 920.

    The 500 is better for the bike, even the 910 mounted to the bike doesn't perform as well (the data fields display odd).

    The 910 is super awesome for running and swimming...I'm very glad I picked it up for that.

    I'll admit that I'm pretty much a "meat and potatoes" kind of guy...I want data like laps, distance, elevation, heat rate, cadence, strokes. I don't use maps, I don't care about strava segments or anything like that.

    On top of that...once you add the heart rate monitor, cadence/speed sensor, foot pod, mounts...it only drives the price more.

  5. #5
    "Ride lots." ~ Eddy Merck
    Reputation: LuckyB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    267
    I think I'm gonna go with a 520 bundle and the just get a watch like the Forerunner 610 refurbished that I can use the HRM with.

    "I'll admit that I'm pretty much a "meat and potatoes" kind of guy...I want data like laps, distance, elevation, heat rate, cadence, strokes. I don't use maps, I don't care about strava segments or anything like that." ~ Typetwelve

    Me too and the 520 is overkill but hey I'm still running a wired bike computer.

    Thanks jetdog9, Alfonsina and Typetwelve for your insight.
    2012 Giant Defy Comp 3
    1982 UE-8 Peugeot "̶1̶0̶ ̶s̶p̶e̶e̶d̶"̶ 7 speed
    1982 Peugeot UE-18 Mixte SS

  6. #6
    "Ride lots." ~ Eddy Merck
    Reputation: LuckyB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    267
    Christmas came early. I guess that's why I'm LuckyB. I got the Edge 520 and the Forerunner 610. I really dig that watch. I've had for a couple weeks now. So, I know my way around it and have it set up the way I like, I think, for now anyways. I've ran with it and I've rode with it. Turns out my Sigma Cycling Computer my be off by about .02 of a mile, times some almost 3000 miles. Uh oh.

    Now, I got the 520 yesterday. I'm setting it up. I'm really liking it and all. In settling it up, found and paired with my Wahoo Ticker HRM, piece of cake. It can't find my Wahoo Blue SC though. It says it's ANT+ and Bluetooth. I'm not going to mess with bluetooth with the Edge. Maybe sometime down the line I might get to tryin' apps, never say never I guess. Never thought I'd own any kind of GPS device and now in a matter of a week, I've double the number I own.

    Can anyone with experience help me out here? I've changed the battery that came with the S/C with one I know still works. I have adjusted the senors to the 1/8 clearance it calls for, man that looks really close.

    Thanks
    2012 Giant Defy Comp 3
    1982 UE-8 Peugeot "̶1̶0̶ ̶s̶p̶e̶e̶d̶"̶ 7 speed
    1982 Peugeot UE-18 Mixte SS

  7. #7
    Neophyte
    Reputation: jetdog9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,990
    I can tell you is that's the same combo I use, and absolutely no issues (Edge 520 + Blue SC).

    When you are adding the sensor, are you scrolling all the way down to Speed/Cadence section? There are separate listings for Cadence, Speed/Cadence, and Speed... although I would think if you just do "Search All" it should find it. Are you running magnet by the Wahoo sensor to make sure it's on?

    Note there were actually 2 versions of the Wahoo sensor, older version might not have ANT+. If you can see it with Edge's Bluetooth on that might be the issue, then you might want to consult with vendor you got Wahoo from or Wahoo directly if you think they sent you old product when you bought new, etc.

  8. #8
    "Ride lots." ~ Eddy Merck
    Reputation: LuckyB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    267
    Hey Jetdog, You don't mean a hand held magnet, you mean the crank mag and the wheel magnets? Yeah I cranked several times for minutes. I can't tell if the unit wakes or not. The edge isn't finding it. I did try pairing just the speed and just the cadence too. Both no/gos. I don't know if the Bluetooth is working. I could see in my phone sees it.
    2012 Giant Defy Comp 3
    1982 UE-8 Peugeot "̶1̶0̶ ̶s̶p̶e̶e̶d̶"̶ 7 speed
    1982 Peugeot UE-18 Mixte SS

  9. #9
    Neophyte
    Reputation: jetdog9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,990
    #1 I mean any magnet over either the speed or cadence sensor section of the Wahoo. After you do it a few times, you should see LEDs lighting up every time you pass magnet over sensor. If not, sensor may not be working (battery?)

    #2 If you look on the speed sensor arm of the Blue SC, does it have both Bluetooth and ANT+ logo on it? If not, you may have the Bluetooth only one.

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: faulker479's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    149
    when you say you see it on your phone, do you see it paired to the phone or does it show movements (either Cadence or Speed when you are using it) on your phone app?

    If it shows up on your phone and is ANT+ capable, there may be a button that you can push on it to get it in pairing mode.

  11. #11
    "Ride lots." ~ Eddy Merck
    Reputation: LuckyB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    #1 I mean any magnet over either the speed or cadence sensor section of the Wahoo. After you do it a few times, you should see LEDs lighting up every time you pass magnet over sensor. If not, sensor may not be working (battery?)

    #2 If you look on the speed sensor arm of the Blue SC, does it have both Bluetooth and ANT+ logo on it? If not, you may have the Bluetooth only one.
    Upon review, it seems that I have bought the iPhone & Android version and not the Bluetooth/ANT+ verision. Rats! Thanks Jetdog! I have already printed the return label to Amazon. (Yeah, I know, the LBS didn't have and doesn't carry these items.)
    2012 Giant Defy Comp 3
    1982 UE-8 Peugeot "̶1̶0̶ ̶s̶p̶e̶e̶d̶"̶ 7 speed
    1982 Peugeot UE-18 Mixte SS

  12. #12
    "Ride lots." ~ Eddy Merck
    Reputation: LuckyB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by faulker479 View Post
    when you say you see it on your phone, do you see it paired to the phone or does it show movements (either Cadence or Speed when you are using it) on your phone app?

    If it shows up on your phone and is ANT+ capable, there may be a button that you can push on it to get it in pairing mode.
    I meant if I try to pair a bluetooth devise with my phone, if the SC would show up like a bluetooth speaker or what not on my phone.
    2012 Giant Defy Comp 3
    1982 UE-8 Peugeot "̶1̶0̶ ̶s̶p̶e̶e̶d̶"̶ 7 speed
    1982 Peugeot UE-18 Mixte SS

  13. #13
    "Ride lots." ~ Eddy Merck
    Reputation: LuckyB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    267
    I got the Wahoo Blue SC Bluetooth/ANT+ and it paired flawlessly just as you advised Jetdog. Wahoo!
    2012 Giant Defy Comp 3
    1982 UE-8 Peugeot "̶1̶0̶ ̶s̶p̶e̶e̶d̶"̶ 7 speed
    1982 Peugeot UE-18 Mixte SS

  14. #14
    Neophyte
    Reputation: jetdog9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,990
    Excellent, enjoy!

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,005
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyB View Post
    Christmas came early. I guess that's why I'm LuckyB. I got the Edge 520 and the Forerunner 610. I really dig that watch. I've had for a couple weeks now. So, I know my way around it and have it set up the way I like, I think, for now anyways. I've ran with it and I've rode with it. Turns out my Sigma Cycling Computer my be off by about .02 of a mile, times some almost 3000 miles. Uh oh.

    Now, I got the 520 yesterday. I'm setting it up. I'm really liking it and all. In settling it up, found and paired with my Wahoo Ticker HRM, piece of cake. It can't find my Wahoo Blue SC though. It says it's ANT+ and Bluetooth. I'm not going to mess with bluetooth with the Edge. Maybe sometime down the line I might get to tryin' apps, never say never I guess. Never thought I'd own any kind of GPS device and now in a matter of a week, I've double the number I own.

    Can anyone with experience help me out here? I've changed the battery that came with the S/C with one I know still works. I have adjusted the senors to the 1/8 clearance it calls for, man that looks really close.

    Thanks
    I;ve got a 610 as well that I really like, only thing I didn't like was that it can take half a year to lock onto satellites, my GF got a 620 a while ago that locks on instantly... so not long ago I got one as well... it does lock on faster...but I think "lock on" for it means yeah I think there are sattelites up there, but I'll tell you i'm locked on.grrrr.
    I actually prefer the 610
    All the gear and no idea

  16. #16
    Neophyte
    Reputation: jetdog9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,990
    I usually stick my watch outside of my front door for a while before a run so the satellites position really gets dialed in as well as the temperature and pressure. Then again, there are enough things I dislike about my Fenix 2 that I wouldn't mind if it got stolen off the porch... I hear really good things about the 920XT but it's expensive. I'm also interested in the Fenix 3 but my watch is built like a tank so it's going nowhere anytime soon.

    2+ months and ~30 rides in with the Edge 520 and I am loving it. Got a Varia rear radar for Christmas, will be interesting to play with that.
    Last edited by jetdog9; 12-23-2015 at 07:24 AM.

  17. #17
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    158
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post

    2+ months and ~30 rides in with the Edge 520 and I am loving it.
    Good to hear. I resisted getting the 520 until about a month ago due to the plethora of negative reviews by consumers. But so far, so good for my experience.

  18. #18
    "Ride lots." ~ Eddy Merck
    Reputation: LuckyB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    I;ve got a 610 as well that I really like, only thing I didn't like was that it can take half a year to lock onto satellites, my GF got a 620 a while ago that locks on instantly... so not long ago I got one as well... it does lock on faster...but I think "lock on" for it means yeah I think there are sattelites up there, but I'll tell you i'm locked on.grrrr.
    I actually prefer the 610
    Yeah, I noticed that about the 610.. The Edge 520 locks on almost immediately. I like both for what they are and do for me.
    2012 Giant Defy Comp 3
    1982 UE-8 Peugeot "̶1̶0̶ ̶s̶p̶e̶e̶d̶"̶ 7 speed
    1982 Peugeot UE-18 Mixte SS

  19. #19
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,005
    GRR, I'm finding my 620 to be craptastic compared to my 610. On;y reason I bought it was because the 610 can take an age to lock on, but the 620 jsut tells you it locked on, but keeps missing the 1st few 100m of my runs before it actually starts working. Think I'll go back to the 610, at least it tells me whats going on.
    All the gear and no idea

Similar Threads

  1. Garmin Forerunner 310ct vs Garmin Forerunner 610
    By Cheerful Luke in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-26-2014, 06:06 AM
  2. Garmin 305 Edge or Garmin 305 Forerunner?
    By trek7100 in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-20-2009, 11:15 AM
  3. Garmin Forerunner 301
    By GerryR in forum Racing, Training, Nutrition, Triathlons
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-18-2008, 06:00 PM
  4. Garmin Forerunner 301 GPS
    By LyncStar in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-25-2006, 02:38 PM
  5. Anyone using the new Garmin Forerunner 201?
    By jch2112 in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-26-2004, 08:16 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.