Garmin 705 fell off mount - gone
    Bike Wing Conspiracy

Garmin 705 fell off mount - gone

I have had it since 2007.

It has been all over the country with me.

It was on my mount when I exited a store Friday.

When I stopped at my next destination I reached down to stop the clock and realized it wasnt there anymore.

It was like someone punched me in the gut.

I am trying to put a positive spin on it:

1. I had it for 5 years - it paid for itself
    2. I didnt lose any data - it is all uploaded to Strava
    3. It gives me an excuse to look at other more up-to-date options

It still stings a lot though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yeah, sh*t happens.

I'm curious how it paid for itself. I've never met anybody who found a way to make money (or save money) logging their cycling data.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Sad. So very sad.
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

Hanging 10 bra
    Well with the newer models out now, its a perfect time to get the older 800 and 500 for cheap. People with those models are letting them go cheaper than ever and shops are even putting discounts to make room for the new 510/810. I gave my old 705 to my brother and still going strong, they were bullet proof units for sure.

Bike Wing Conspiracy
    Yeah, lets be literal.

Everything has a life. Nothing lasts forever.

I figure I paid 80 bucks a year for the 5 years I had it.

A very reasonable price to pay for the data it collected.

RoadBikeReview Member
    That does suck. I knocked my 500 off my mtn. bike stem, this weekend swapping bottles. Didn't notice it. Fortunately the guy behind me did.
    After feeling the 510 mount, my 500 feels like it's just balancing on the mount. I wonder if the 705 is (was) as loose as the 500s.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by onespeed View Post
    Yeah, lets be literal.
    Everything has a life. Nothing lasts forever.
    I figure I paid 80 bucks a year for the 5 years I had it.
    A very reasonable price to pay for the data it collected.
    Some things do pay for themselves. You meant you feel you got your money's worth of reasonable use from it, which is cool.

The way electronic gadgets advance these days, 5 or 6 years is a long life (imagine keeping a cell phone that long). You'll enjoy an upgrade, but it still feels bad to lose something you've enjoyed using for a long time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mine fell out of the mount twice. Once not long after I got it I saw it go and skitter over a draining grate in the road. The next time it happened I looked down and it was gone. I backtracked and found it in the grass 1/2 mile back. Since then, I've carefully bent the little retaining tab up a bit to improve engagement and haven't had it fall off since, even on extremely rough roads and on the mtb. I also put a label on the back with my contact info in case a good Samaritan would happen to find it.

Personally, I would not get a 800 or 810 and would look into getting another 705. Find a damaged or non-functional one and send it in for repair to Garmin and they'll replace it with a refurb (new case and battery) for $110. Turn around is about 1 wk.

Check Garmin forums for relevant info regarding all Edge products: https://forums.garmin.com/forumdisplay.php?20-Cycling
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

banned
    Did you backtrack and try to find it? There's a lot of stuff on the roads, it could be in the street against a curb and no one has picked it up. You probably hit a pot hole or bump at some point and it dislodged.

Bike Wing Conspiracy
    Quote Originally Posted by Sisophous View Post
    Did you backtrack and try to find it? There's a lot of stuff on the roads, it could be in the street against a curb and no one has picked it up. You probably hit a pot hole or bump at some point and it dislodged.
    I live in Brooklyn.

I lost it somewhere between Midtown and Brooklyn after riding over the Brooklyn Bridge. I went a ways back but I didnt see it or any of the pieces anywhere.

It still hurts.

RoadBikeReview Member
    When you do replace, you should look into ... video is a good comparison of some of the new mounts...

Barfly vs.Garmin Outfront vs. SRAM Quickview Mounts - YouTube

Master debator.
    I feel your pain. I just replaced my Edge 305, although I didn't lose it. I would rather replace things on my own terms rather than have to, but it happens. It was also a pretty expensive piece of gear to just lose, even if it was old. The newfangled ones being so fancy, you'd think maybe they'd have a smart phone app to locate a lost or stolen unit.
    I have a friend that lost his 800 in a crash mountain biking, it went into the weeds somewhere. Now if he could open up a smart phone app that sends an alert to his Garmin, and maybe makes it beep repeatedly to help locate it, that would be useful.
    Oh well, you can get the old 500 for around $220 now...
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ouch, that hurts, glad you didn't lose any data! I keep my eye on my 500 pretty often riding - probably too much. Doubt I would go very far before noticing it was missing. Hopefully if it does come off it survives the fall and doesn't get run over.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

"The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection