Garmin 830 and 530 information - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm happy with my Garmin 1000. Got that model four years ago because I'm old and I needed a large screen so I could actually read the data.

Using data from it on my first ride up a cat 3 five plus mile climb set a PR that still stands today. I paced myself off data from the computer.

I've not had any problems with it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by GlobalGuy View Post
    I'm happy with my Garmin 1000. Got that model four years ago because I'm old and I needed a large screen so I could actually read the data.

Using data from it on my first ride up a cat 3 five plus mile climb set a PR that still stands today. I paced myself off data from the computer.

I've not had any problems with it.

I should be satisfied w/ my 520. Got it Sept 2015 and have had no issues w/ it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    on the 1030 you can change any field by press and holding it and it will go right to the menu of options to pick what you want in that field - pretty easy if you ask me. Guessing the 830 will do the same since it's touch screen.
    Iím assuming Iíll need to change my gloves to touch-screen friendly gloves w/ the 830 for my colder rides?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mckdaddy View Post
    Iím assuming Iíll need to change my gloves to touch-screen friendly gloves w/ the 830 for my colder rides?
    I said it before... and maybe Iím alone on this, but touch screen sux IMO. Having used both, it would be a non starter for me. Itís so annoying.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Probably not. My Edge 1000 screen works with all my full fingered gloves.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post
    I said it before... and maybe Iím alone on this, but touch screen sux IMO. Having used both, it would be a non starter for me. Itís so annoying.
    Although I have an Edge 1000 I tend to agree with you. I have five data fields configured and that's all the info that I want to see. No need for me to do anything else as I don't care about any other feature of the device. I got the 1000 mainly because of its large screen.
    Last edited by GlobalGuy; 05-05-2019 at 11:21 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I use regular gloves on colder rides and don't have issues with swiping screens including lobster gloves when it's really cold. You might need to change the screen sensitivity depending on your gloves. Of course you lose the precision with bulky gloves a bit, but the only time I really need precision is to save a ride and turn it off which I can pull a glove off to do. I guess if you were doing serious navigating like putting in a street address etc it would require pulling a glove too, but I would much rather do that on a touch screen than using buttons to scroll the alphabet to select letters and numbers.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    I'd say you're wrong, I think most people don't like them, but I prefer a touch screen, i'd spend the extra for an 830/1030 over a 530 just because of this.
    I'm still not happy my 645 isn't touch screen after my 610/620. I think they're great, I'm used to it not having one now, but would be much better if it was.
    Last edited by mik_git; 05-05-2019 at 05:49 AM.
    All the gear and no idea

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2014
    Iím intrigued by a touch screen and would like to try one out, but if I didnít like it Iíd hate to feel like I sunk $400.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Iím intrigued by a touch screen and would like to try one out, but if I didnít like it Iíd hate to feel like I sunk $400.
    Buy it from REI, they have a good return policy as well as a selection of alternatives.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    I'd say you're wrong, I think most people don't like them, but I prefer a touch screen, i'd spend the extra for an 830/1030 over a 530 just because of this.
    I'm still not happy my 645 isn't touch screen after my 610/620. I think they're great, I'm used to it not having one now, but would be much better if it was.
    I said it was my opinion... I canít be wrong. Itís an opinion. You can disagree, but that has no bearing on someone elseís opinion.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    I said it was my opinion... I canít be wrong. Itís an opinion. You can disagree, but that has no bearing on someone elseís opinion.
    I said I think you're wrong in that you're alone in you opinion... from what I;ve read a lot of people dont like touchscreen. I have to opposite opinion to you, but i'd say i'm in the minority.
    All the gear and no idea

flinty-eyed moderator
    Got a 530 on order- prefer the buttons to touch screen in this application.
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    I could not find the details.. but there are 2 types of touch screens, resistive and capacitive. With resistive touch screens, a glove will not impede the use of the screen, although they tend to be less responsive at times and you have to press harder.

Capacitive are the ones that required your fingers, or a glove that with conductive thread woven into the fingers. This is what almost all modern electronics use for touch screens, except for some ATMs which still use resistive screens for some reason.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolhand View Post
    Got a 530 on order- prefer the buttons to touch screen in this application.
    I think the touch screen is useful for certain functions while stopped (setting up/selecting a course, retrieving data, setting up screens, etc) but it is not easy to use on a ride. I kinda wish my 820 had both

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    I said I think you're wrong in that you're alone in you opinion... from what I;ve read a lot of people dont like touchscreen. I have to opposite opinion to you, but i'd say i'm in the minority.
    Ohhh. Haha. Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    ^ yeah the words come out, just sometimes they don't make sense, I edited to make more sense, but still all jumbled together. haha
    All the gear and no idea

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    I have the Garmin 800 and it's a dinosaur, but still works great. The only problem I had and one of the main reason I went with the Wahoo Bolt is it did not play well with my Stages PM. The turn by turn on the 800 was great even though you had to go around Jody's barn to start turn by turn, unlike the Bolt's simple route starts. The 800 touchscreen worked pretty well in my opinion, even with gloves. However, the simplicity of the Bolt has kept me from looking at another computer, for now. I don't need a whole ton of bells and whistles, just the basic stuff for my bike computer.
    Last edited by Methodical; 05-09-2019 at 06:47 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Well I now have experienced your point. Just got my 530 head unit and the back button is defective. Now I have the hassle of sending it back and waiting for a replacement. Garmin reliability remains its sore point, even on this new item.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2014
    Received my 530 today from REI. The ďbackĒ button on my device is a bit spongy-feeling, and must be pressed firmly in the center of the button for it to respond. The rest of the buttons feel solid and do not need to be center-pressed for a response. A bit disappointed in that lone button.

Itís early, obviously, but Iím enjoying it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Received my 530 today from REI. The ďbackĒ button on my device is a bit spongy-feeling, and must be pressed firmly in the center of the button for it to respond. The rest of the buttons feel solid and do not need to be center-pressed for a response. A bit disappointed in that lone button.

Itís early, obviously, but Iím enjoying it.
    Call Garmin about it if you think that button is not right and should have a more tactile feel.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2014
    Thank you. They are replacing it, though I might not get the replacement for 3-4 weeks. In the meantime I can continue using mine, I was told.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I got my 830 and set it up yesterday afternoon. Took it for a short ride and am impressed so far. The only downside I'm seeing as of yet is that I cannot (easily) set an odometer value for total miliage of the bikes prior to the 830. I found an app that supposedly allows this to happen, but have yet to try it out. Anyone else see how to do this on an 5/830?
    The marvels of modern day science: engineering tomorrow's problems today...

http://www.flashasylum.com/db/files/.../Rob/tumor.png
    Cyanide & Happiness @ Explosm.net

RoadBikeReview Member
    If you figure out which folder that information is stored in you can import it from another device, but I don't think that's information that has been available for recent versions so it might not be possible on the 830.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Garmin recently let me know that they had an update of new maps for my Edge 1000. Previously when they had new maps or any other updates I could just plug the Garmin into the computer and download via my Internet connection.

But this time for their latest update they can't do as above. Oh no, it has to be download to an SD card that is at least 4 GB in size but no larger than 32 GB, (won't work on SD bigger than 32 GB.

My computer does not have an SD card. So to do what they offer I would have to buy both an SD card and USB SD compatible adapter to connect my computer.

I will pass.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast