Garmin 830 and 530 information

Here's some info on the coming Garmin releases

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/04/...th-review.html
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    remember when all we needed was a Cateye Mity III or an Avocet?

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    remember when all we needed was a Cateye Mity III or an Avocet?
    remember when you didn't need a bike computer at all?
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    Here's some info on the coming Garmin releases

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/04/...th-review.html
    I use Garmin products (currently have a 820) but I would never, ever, buy a Garmin product after it was just released. Their reputation for releasing products before the software is mature is legendary. A year from now this may be awesome

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Drat, I just bought a 520 Plus last month. I really like the 520 Plus and it does more than I need anyway... The only annoyance is that the price dropped a fair amount, although I got mine shipped from Germany for ~$225.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    I use Garmin products (currently have a 820) but I would never, ever, buy a Garmin product after it was just released. Their reputation for releasing products before the software is mature is legendary. A year from now this may be awesome
    Yeah, I am hesitant early on too at least until I read some reviews from people with some miles on them. I did get the 1030 pretty soon after release though and it's been really solid since day one, for me anyway.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

flinty-eyed moderator
    the 530 looks the business- going to replace my 520 with one
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    remember when you didn't need a bike computer at all?
    Yeah, I ride with just my watch but somehow I know how fast we're going, how far we've come, how far we have to go, and our average speed. Just saying.

RoadBikeReview Member
    My Edge 520 is perfect and works fine. I hate, I mean HATE on-screen controls. Ive had them. It sucks. Love my Edge 520.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    810 worked fine, my 1030 also works fine. i'm a satisfied customer. 810 had only one annoying problem. the altimeter hole was susceptible to rain interference and the battery would only last about 10 hours max, not a problem normally but an issue for super long rides where i was following a route, like la marmotte. 1030 works great. i waited for the reviews and user feedback. understand 1000 was not their best effort

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
    Drat, I just bought a 520 Plus last month. I really like the 520 Plus and it does more than I need anyway... The only annoyance is that the price dropped a fair amount, although I got mine shipped from Germany for ~$225.
    welcome to electronics. never seen a product that didn't work that way

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2014
    Trying to remain w/ Garmin since all 5 years of my riding data is on Garmin Connect, but Im tired of waiting and hoping each new Garmin will allow editing the screens and data fields via my phone, like wahoo allows.

RoadBikeReview Member
    honestly do not understand how Garmin didn't flop out of the whole bike computer field once the Wahoo units came on the market! My god their stuff is so horrible. Get the Bolt
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Still rocking my 2016 520 Edge. Battery is not what its used to be but I dont mind having to recharge after 4 rides.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    honestly do not understand how Garmin didn't flop out of the whole bike computer field once the Wahoo units came on the market! My god their stuff is so horrible. Get the Bolt
    Cause they make better stuff than Wahoo
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    Monopolies collapse slowly...further, many people don't appreciate how awful Garmins are as that is all they know. And further they just accept that that is how things are.

Who here doesn't know that you never update a Garmin before a ride--because it will probably break something?
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mckdaddy View Post
    Trying to remain w/ Garmin since all 5 years of my riding data is on Garmin Connect
    You can export/import your data into other programs.

I have all my data on GC, Strava, RWGPS. There's a few apps that do it. I use https://tapiriik.com/
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Monopolies collapse slowly...further, many people don't appreciate how awful Garmins are as that is all they know. And further they just accept that that is how things are.

Who here doesn't know that you never update a Garmin before a ride--because it will probably break something?
    There has been a couple of times before a big ride where I got the "new firmware is available" message and literally yanked the cord out of my computer to stop it In general, my unit has been very stable, but I still tread carefully with new updates

RoadBikeReview Member
    Still happily using my edge 705.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    It's full of factual errors. :nono:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Still happy using my Garmin Edge 500
    "I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday & I love today!!"

"There are only two ways to establish competitive advantage: do things better than others or do them differently."

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."

2009 SCOTT Speedster w/Ultegra 6800
    2007 IRONHORSE HT

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Hmm, I've got my edge1000 and fr645 just after release, had no issues with them. So far in the house have had fr610, fr220, fr620 (x2), edge 1000, fr935 and fr645 plus a bunch of sensors. All work well. Only issue I;ve had really is the 610 and 620 could take a while to lock on and I hate the the 645 isn't touch screen. Otherwise all good.
    All the gear and no idea

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    You can export/import your data into other programs.

I have all my data on GC, Strava, RWGPS. There's a few apps that do it. I use https://tapiriik.com/

Thanks for the insight. Id like to migrate all my previous ride and workout data to one site....not GC if I move to Wahoo.

Several buddies have have all their workout and rides on Strava, but (1) I dont like how my rides uploaded to Strava tend to be 0.1-0.2 mph slower than measured by my 520 (Im already slow, I dont like Strava making me slower) and (2) Im already missing nearly 1.5 years of workouts & ride data on Strava that I could not get over from GC when I joined Strava, and (3) I like how I can better break-down and analyze an accumulation of a type of workout via GC that Strava cannot do.

Bottom line, Id prefer to stay w/ GC. Ive been envious of Wahoo for about 2 years since a friend showed me how easy it is to change screens & fields on his Elemnt via his phone. My thought was, wow, that is so awesome and intuitive, surely Garmin will introduce this sooner than later. So Im frustrated that 2 years later Garmin has not introd this convenient feature.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mckdaddy View Post
    Bottom line, Id prefer to stay w/ GC. Ive been envious of Wahoo for about 2 years since a friend showed me how easy it is to change screens & fields on his Elemnt via his phone. My thought was, wow, that is so awesome and intuitive, surely Garmin will introduce this sooner than later. So Im frustrated that 2 years later Garmin has not introd this convenient feature.
    on the 1030 you can change any field by press and holding it and it will go right to the menu of options to pick what you want in that field - pretty easy if you ask me. Guessing the 830 will do the same since it's touch screen.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2014
    on the 1030 you can change any field by press and holding it and it will go right to the menu of options to pick what you want in that field - pretty easy if you ask me. Guessing the 830 will do the same since it's touch screen.
    Thank you. Ill look into if the 830 does this.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    This is also how the 800 works so would expect the 830 to be the same.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast