Garmin down - ransomware?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Neophyte

Garmin down - ransomware?

https://www.zdnet.com/article/garmin...omware-attack/

Major oops if it's really a ransomware attack!

Never Give Up!
    Yikes, glad I don't pay for any services nor have any financial information connected to the web-site.
    "I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday & I love today!!"

"There are only two ways to establish competitive advantage: do things better than others or do them differently."

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."

2010 Orbea Onix w/Ultegra R8000
    2009 SCOTT Speedster w/Ultegra 6800
    2007 IRONHORSE HT

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    https://www.zdnet.com/article/garmin...omware-attack/

Major oops if it's really a ransomware attack!
    Hackers suck

Banned Sock Puppet
    Glad I never got a Garmin. My Strava phone app and low tech Cateye cycle computer work just fine.
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

MDM
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Glad I never got a Garmin. My Strava phone app and low tech Cateye cycle computer work just fine.
    Garmin can be uploaded to other databases than Garmin Connect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    I'm less than thrilled by those with competing products dancing on Garmin's grave. Schadenfreude is not so attractive. This was an illegal act by a bad actor, apparently operating out of Russia. This is unfortunately a fact of life in America and the world.

That being said I'm getting the sense that Garmin may not have invested properly in disaster recovery and data security. If that's the case they're not alone. Once you leave the world of banking and insurance many companies still do not adequately mitigate the risk of malware, hacking and ransomware.

I wish Garmin well. They're hardware is 1st rate. This will be a huge wake up call for Garmin and others.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek_5200 View Post
    I'm less than thrilled by those with competing products dancing on Garmin's grave. Schadenfreude is not so attractive. This was an illegal act by a bad actor, apparently operating out of Russia. This is unfortunately a fact of life in America and the world.

That being said I'm getting the sense that Garmin may not have invested properly in disaster recovery and data security. If that's the case they're not alone. Once you leave the world of banking and insurance many companies still do not adequately mitigate the risk of malware, hacking and ransomware.

I wish Garmin well. They're hardware is 1st rate. This will be a huge wake up call for Garmin and others.
    You don't even have to leave that world to see shoddy data security practice. Hell there was the comedic incident a few years ago where a Pentagon data security contractor has utterly embarrassed inside and out.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...e-hbgary-hack/

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...nears-its-end/

Generally, in the USA...you can gamble on shoddy privacy and lackluster data security...and not be disappointed.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Our fair city (Knoxville, TN) recently got attacked and hacked. We refused to pay (I think the ransom was over $300k) and they released some personal data of city employees, not to mention that several services were interrupted for several days.

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/...ix/3190160001/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek_5200 View Post
    They're hardware is 1st rate.
    They are hardware is 1st rate?

All your base are belong to us?

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    They are hardware is 1st rate?

All your base are belong to us?
    Kerry, you seem to be on a mission lately....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Given his penchant for nicknames, and his aversion to reading, I've decided to shorten Donald J. Trump to it's essence: Dump*

I was "social distancing" before it was cool.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    https://techcrunch.com/2020/07/25/ga...mware-sources/

An ongoing global outage at sport and fitness tech giant Garmin was caused by a ransomware attack, according to two sources with direct knowledge of the incident.

The incident began late Wednesday and continued through the weekend, causing disruption to the company’s online services for millions of users...

The two sources, who spoke on the condition of anonymity as they are not authorized to speak to the press, told TechCrunch that Garmin was trying to bring its network back online after the ransomware attack. One of the sources confirmed that the WastedLocker ransomware was to blame for the outage

WastedLocker is a new kind of ransomware, operated by a hacker group known as Evil Corp. Like other file-encrypting malware, WastedLocker infects computers, and locks the user’s files in exchange for a ransom, typically demanded in cryptocurrency.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Back up now, bet it wasnt a fun time at the Grarmin office.
    All the gear and no idea

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    Having been through a few of these events.. It's a stressful marathon that turns into a relay race at some point. It's what you dread as a professional in this industry but also exhilarating as this is what you prepare for. It's equal parts building/maintaining and firefighting in this industry.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Connect is still out here, at least the website.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    It's not fully back up yet.
    I think some heads are gonna roll in the Garmin IT dept.

https://road.cc/content/news/garmin-...-slowly-275967
    Some users of the service have found that rides and runs recorded since the “outage,” as Garmin terms it – the company has not publicly acknowledged that a ransomware attack is to blame – synced to Garmin Connect overnight, while others are now able to create routes on it.

It appears however that we are still a long way from full functionality being restored, and the app continues to show an error page, as does much of the website, if the pages load at all.

This morning, Strava told users (link is external)of its run and ride-tracking app: “Garmin Connect has resumed service and delayed activities have begun to upload to Strava.

“This will happen automatically. Given the volume, this may take a week or longer. Thanks for your patience.”
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Opus was just napping
    Garmin doesn't have a week they have their investment report due on Wednesday.

Garmin slappy here have always been happy with their products, but really would like them to get this figured out soon.
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by thatsmybush View Post

Garmin slappy here have always been happy with their products, but really would like them to get this figured out soon.
    Want to know what is really funny?

2 years back, I quit Garmin after 10+ years of public-beta with their cycling GPS units. Got a Wahoo. Well, TL;DR, the Wahoo is no longer waterproof.....On Tuesday I order an Edge 830), It was delivered Thursday afternoon. I didn't even get one new ride onto Garmin Connect before Garmin's server farm completely 100% died.

FML.

I wish Garmin would allow direct-upload to 3rd party ride/fitness tracking services from the device. Wahoo let me shoot rides direct to TrainingPeaks...

JSR
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    I wish Garmin would allow direct-upload to 3rd party ride/fitness tracking services from the device. Wahoo let me shoot rides direct to TrainingPeaks...
    I was able to upload rides from my Edge 520 Plus directly into Strava. It required a USB connection to my desktop computer, but wasn’t too difficult. Easier than posting pictures to Roadbikereview. 😉

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JSR View Post
    I was able to upload rides from my Edge 520 Plus directly into Strava. It required a USB connection to my desktop computer, but wasn’t too difficult.
    It's been that way for every Garmin through history. But Marc is talking about directly uploading from the device (wirelessly). In this day of modern tech, this should be a basic function.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

It appears to be all good now. Now that this international crisis is resolved lets move on to fixing COVID

Opus was just napping
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    It appears to be all good now. Now that this international crisis is resolved lets move on to fixing COVID
    Nope, not for me everything still undergoing "server maintenance."
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Nope, not for me everything still undergoing "server maintenance."
    Photo taken this morning of Garmin employees working on the outage

Garmin_outtage.jpg

Darling of The Lounge

flinty-eyed moderator
    working for me.
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Master debator.
    Our little company was hit a couple months ago. It took about 3 days to rectify. We had everything backed up, but the backups were a day old, so a lot of us had to repeat a day's work.

I feel bad for Garmin, but I wonder how much companies actually prepare for such an attack. I don't know much about the security aspect of this stuff, but perhaps they should have offered 5 million to anyone that could reverse the file encryption and help root out the source.

Garmin has effectively killed two devices I have had with updates in the past, both via software update, both affecting battery life. To their credit they replaced one, but it took a while and was irritating.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast