Garmin Edge 305 - powers down while riding
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006

Garmin Edge 305 - powers down while riding

I am hoping that this is the best forum to post this question in, but if anybody can think of a better one, I am all ears and willing to post there too.

From the title, you can tell that my Garmin Edge 305 is powering down while I am riding. What is bugging me is that I have no idea why it is happening. It worked fine for the first couple of weeks I had it, and now it powers down every once in a while. Tuesday it went 2 1/2 hours with no problem. Yesterday, it powered down 3 times, twice while I was hammering home trying to get my average speed from 19.4 to 20. If I turn it back on while I am still riding, the data is all screwed up. It has me going something like 200 mph and the distance logged ends up being all screwed up. If I stop, turn it back on, allow it to acquire a satellite signal, and carry on, the data remains fine, but it sucks to have to stop when I am in a groove.

Anybody ever have this problem? Anybody have any advice?

*puff*
    Aug 2006
    it has not powered down on me however the thing has 'lost charge' over a 48hour period. i was told this was NORMAL from garmin. i've fully charged the unit, left it on my desk then decided to use it 2 days after the charge the thing will turn on then off immediately. the first time this happened i was unsure if i charged it or not the second and third i emailed garmin. THIS IS NOT NORMAL, the unit is strange. I've left it uncharged for 7 days after a full charge and decided to use it...to my shock it had a FULL charge. something is definitely going on, i'm not sure but these units are finicky.

GREAT when working normally though. Also if it loses contact with satellites or if you start/stop it in different location the data points will be screwed up. According to my 305 i've also gone 200 mph.

Weed
    Make sure that you go to the Garmin site and keep your unit up to date with the latest software. Sometimes there are fixes for problems in these updates.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/blosp.jsp

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks zyzbot. I'll try that tonight.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Another way

Quote Originally Posted by fabsroman
    If I stop, turn it back on, allow it to acquire a satellite signal, and carry on, the data remains fine, but it sucks to have to stop when I am in a groove.
    I can't offer any suggestions on how to make your unit behave, but you do know, don't you, that you can increase your average speed WITHOUT using the computer, and that you can actually keep riding even if the computer is not working correctly. Your workout/ride does not change even if the computer says it did

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Yeah, it is kind of amazing to think that I used to ride way before bike computers were even invented. Hard to believe that I ever rode thousands of miles without a computer and even got faster without one. What is really insane is that I was able to ride both of my new Colnago's without a computer while I waited to get a deal on ebay on this Edge 305 and I refrained from moving the computer on my Mino Denti to my Colnagos. In fact, once the computer stopped running on me, I had to call my wife to pick me up because I had no idea how to continue to turn the pedals over without the computer on. LOL

The computer is just something nice to have that helps push me harder, but I can still ride without one. It is really nice to have the heart rate monitor for intervals.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    down loading the latest patch cure my "low battery" problem
    "The problem with losing your mind is that by the time you realize it's gone, it's too late to get it back."
    Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson

RoadBikeReview Member
    From what I've read on the Garmin support forums, the only fix for that problem is to return for warranty replacement.

http://forums.motionbased.com/smf/index.php?board=55.0

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    I just read a post in that forum and it looks like I am going to have to contact Garmin about this. This sucks, but I guess it could be worse.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005
    I've been lucky - haven't had any issues with mine, but I did download and update the lastest firmware before I ever used it. I would definitely try that and see if it has an effect on your problem.

Jim