Garmin GPS Forerunner 201
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2002

Garmin GPS Forerunner 201

Anyone using this for cycling. I have a friend who is a runner and everything it does sounds great for cycling.

Normal bike computer things such as distance traveled, average speed etc.
    Also elevation gain / loss.

With additional accessories the info can be downloaded to a computer and provide an elevation profile. Does anyone have any info on how detailed the elevation information is?

I do not know heavy it is?

Censored by *********
    If you buy it, get it from a place where you can return it if you don't like it. It uses a patch antenna instead of a quad helix which means that trees and buildings will cause interference that may render it unusable.

Also, GPS is thoroughly unreliable for altitude readings. This can also affect your distance measurements when climbing or descending.

I've got a Magellan Meridian with a moving map that I throw in my back pocket if I'm going to unfamiliar territory. It's big but it rarely loses the signal. It never agrees with my cycling computer in terms of distance. If you live in Kansas, it might be the way to go. But I'm not sure why you would want this over a regular bike computer.

Quote Originally Posted by TheKid
    Anyone using this for cycling. I have a friend who is a runner and everything it does sounds great for cycling.

With additional accessories the info can be downloaded to a computer and provide an elevation profile. Does anyone have any info on how detailed the elevation information is?

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the most responsive to change.

Charles Darwin

Tourist

altitude from GPS...

is much more off than altitude from barometric pressure that you get on cycling computers.

I don't see the point of this Garmin toy for cycling. For running I admit that it is excellent.

Pierre

Quote Originally Posted by TheKid