Glove Problem

Thread: Glove Problem

VEN
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2003

Glove Problem

I am having problems keeping my fingers warm on road rides and I hope to find a solution. Several years ago I had to take a higher dose of a beta-blocker and that started a problem with cold fingers. I have tried several different winter gloves and I sweat through the wrists and palms but yet my fingers still get cold and it ruins my ride.

I used to be good for 2 hours plus as long as it was above 38 degrees but now I can last an hour at best. It definitely the pill side effect.

A friend loaned me a pair of ski gloves and they worked better but I sweat the body of the glove terrible.

I tried using a thin liner and cutting them off at the end of the fingers but it doesn't seem to help.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by VEN View Post
    I am having problems keeping my fingers warm on road rides and I hope to find a solution. Several years ago I had to take a higher dose of a beta-blocker and that started a problem with cold fingers. I have tried several different winter gloves and I sweat through the wrists and palms but yet my fingers still get cold and it ruins my ride.

I used to be good for 2 hours plus as long as it was above 38 degrees but now I can last an hour at best. It definitely the pill side effect.

A friend loaned me a pair of ski gloves and they worked better but I sweat the body of the glove terrible.

I tried using a thin liner and cutting them off at the end of the fingers but it doesn't seem to help.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    A lot of folks use "pogies," which are fabric shells that go around your bars and over your hands.

Here's a rundown of some: https://fat-bike.com/2012/01/pogies-...e-digits-warm/

Also, you might try those little chemical handwarmers; at least it's a cheap option to try. There are also a new generation of battery-powered (and USB-rechargeable) handwarmers you might investigate (I've never used any of them).
    Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

There are over 8 million covid cases in the United States (as of October 15th), nine months after Donald Trump said it was "totally under control," and that "it's gonna be just fine."

KWL
    RoadBikeReview Member
    A problem with the chemical hand warmers is they cannot be shoved down into the fingers of the glove where the heat is needed. Even if they could they would be starved of the oxygen they need for the chemical reaction.

The best thing I have found as I have gotten older with concomitant circulation issues is Bar Mitts. https://barmitts.com/ I can wear fingerless gloves and still be toasty. The loose fit around the hand prevents sweating sort of like a cycling cape for the hands.

Iíve played with the idea of electric gloves but geez, decent ones are expensive.
    Ken
    P.J. O'Rourke: The Internet - whose idea was it to put all the idiots on earth in touch with each other?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    I also tend to get sweaty hands, so for long rides in the cold I bring a second pair of glove liners and swap out to the dry ones at the mid-ride coffee stop. Same with my skull cap.
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

VEN
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2003
    I didn't know about "pogies" - going to get a pair and give them a try.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by VEN View Post
    I didn't know about "pogies" - going to get a pair and give them a try.

Thanks for the suggestion.
    Have you asked your doc about vasodilator meds? I have a ski friend who always had painful fingers and toes while skiing until he was Rxed these. They can lower your blood pressure, so the risks need to be assessed.

As far as liners, I have always found them to be counterproductive as they restrict movement and have always tended to make me colder. Barmits are worth a try. Or maybe try a pair of lobster mits.
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Been there. Done all that from larger glove for more air space, double and triple layers of gloves, lobster glove, Bar Mitts, chemical warmers, surgical glove layer, etc. Finally went ahead and purchased Outdoor Research heated gloves. Very expensive, but well worth it for me.

Do a search for Raynaud's disease to see if that's a factor.