Gloves Bleeding Dye
    RoadBikeReview Member

Gloves Bleeding Dye

Anyone else had problems with leather gloves bleeding dye and staining their hands and bar tape.

After a rainy race last night I'm wondering if this is a unique problem for me or more widespread. I actually was able to wring dye out of my gloves following the race and had dye running off my bar tape. Absolutely ridiculous in my opinion.

I find I prefer less padding but still want gloves and usually can only find non padded in leather.

Darling of The Lounge
    I've had blacks gloves do that to me in the past. After a few machine washings the issue went away.

Now days, I look for gloves with light or natural colored material on the palm.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've got mine soaking in a pyrex bowl by my sink, several rinses and the water is at least transparent. I'm hoping a few more rinses and they should be ok to use again. Although I'm looking for new gloves since I took a spill a few weeks ago and one glove is slightly torn up and now the stitching is starting to come apart.

Everything I'm finding now still only seems to be available in black pittards leather.

Forever a Student
    Giro LTZ II, never had a problem with color bleeding.
    Also Giro Zero.

I either use no gloves or padless ones, the above I find to be the best for me.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've had zero's in the past, nice glove, mine wore out and I had trouble finding them last time I was looking. I was looking at the LTZ's as well they look like non padded using synthetic material so they might be a win.

If I have good success rinsing the excess dye out of my current gloves I may stick with these but maybe just a new set and then pre-rinse them a bunch before I use them on the road.

Forever a Student
    LTZ are kind of junk. The cuff isn't very good. They're prone to ripping and they're not fun to get on and off.

The LTZ II are much better, they fixed all of that. Something to note.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fedrusion View Post
    I've had zero's in the past, nice glove, mine wore out and I had trouble finding them last time I was looking. I was looking at the LTZ's as well they look like non padded using synthetic material so they might be a win.

If I have good success rinsing the excess dye out of my current gloves I may stick with these but maybe just a new set and then pre-rinse them a bunch before I use them on the road.
    A little soap rather than just plain water will probably accelerate that process.
    "None of us knows for sure what's out there; that's why we keep looking. Keep your faith; travel hopefully. The universe will surprise you, constantly." The 13th Doctor.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    A little soap rather than just plain water will probably accelerate that process.
    I added a touch of dish soap to the first few rinses. if the bowl is still clear'ish when I get home I'll try another rinse with soap and if it stays relatively clear I'll probably call it good for now.

RoadBikeReview Member
    FYI these are the offeder's, other than the bleeding dye issue they are great.

MSR-L Pittards SF | capo

RoadBikeReview Member
    Those do look nice, similar to Giro Zeros. I like no padding. Capo is good stuff so it's a bit surprising they're bleeding.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    In nearly 30 years of cycling, the only gloves I've owned that bled dye were Giro gloves. They also had seams that came apart after a month or so. I loved the way those gloves fit, but the quality was poor.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    My Giro Zero bleed dye. I had to wash them several times to prevent it from happening again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    See. I said they were similar to Giro Zeros.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Pearl Izumi Pro Pittards. My heels of my hands are stained now.
    They are also very delicate, and I get size small so getting them
    off on a humid day is tricky. Also washing requires care not to let
    them dry out too fast or the dessicate and shrink. They are a PITA
    and also in spite of that the best gloves I have ever had.
    All I said was that our son, the apple of our three eyes, Martha being a cyclops, our son is a beanbag, and you get testy!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Seems like I'm getting somewhere with them now. the last couple soaks have had much less dye, I'm going to dry them out and see how they are. I figure I really cant ruin my bare tape any worse than it already is.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013

Gloves Bleeding Dye

You're not alone - I've got a pair of black Castelli Rosso Corsas. If it rains I'm left with grey hands for the rest of the day. I've given the a good seeing to in the sink a few times and the dye just keeps leeching out. Resigned to swap for other gloves on wet days.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dried them out and tried them on a longer hot ride yesterday.no stains on my hands. Going to see if I can get the left glove fixed from where the stitching is coming undone after my crash a few weeks ago. I'm also going to look at picking up another pair and pre-soaking them to remove the excess dye.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    I've got a pair of Pearl Izumi gloves. After sweaty rides, I bring them in the shower and rinse them off then let them hang on a hook until I'm done.

I exit the shower, grab the gloves, and give them a squeeze before I hang them on a rack to dry.

They ALWAYS release a small amount of black dye. It never ends.