Good all around Lights for road usage day/night
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011

Good all around Lights for road usage day/night

Hi,

Just wondering with so many light are there a list of the most proven design to be seen by drivers.

In some areas the road is narrow and I want to be seen.

Cygo have some impressive claim some light with over 100hour run time
    but would I be seen during the day
    https://cygolite.com/product/#tab-tail-light

Niterider have the DVF
    https://niterider.com/collections/ro...ghting-systems

Bontrager seem to be good but short run times
    https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...olorCode=black

which one have a good flash pattern, brightness and run time I say at least 6 - 8 hours of visible day light.

and what would you guys recommend for the front.

thanks.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    It'll help if you give more info on your intended use. I can't tell for sure if you're looking for daytime lights or day & night lights.

Where do you ride? City, rural, country?
    What speeds do you ride at night?
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Neophyte
    If you're on the Garmin bandwagon there is also the UT800 headlight. Run times may not be spectacular but for me the light works great.

Garmin computers, the UT800 headlight and the Varia radar all integrate well with each other.

Never Give Up!
    I'm using a LERMX light in the front and back...

(Bike Lights,Bicycle Headlight with [Free Bike Taillight], LERMX USB Rechargeable Bicycle Lights Set Powerful Lumens LED Bike Lights Front)

https://www.amazon.com/Headlight-Tai...1032834&sr=8-2

which I have custom mounted under my Garmin. Both are very bright and can easily seen during the day.
    "I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday & I love today!!"

"There are only two ways to establish competitive advantage: do things better than others or do them differently."

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."

2010 Orbea Onix w/Ultegra R8000
    2009 SCOTT Speedster w/Ultegra 6800
    2007 IRONHORSE HT

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudbuster View Post
    Hi,

Just wondering with so many light are there a list of the most proven design to be seen by drivers.

In some areas the road is narrow and I want to be seen.

Cygo have some impressive claim some light with over 100hour run time
    but would I be seen during the day
    https://cygolite.com/product/#tab-tail-light

Niterider have the DVF
    https://niterider.com/collections/ro...ghting-systems

Bontrager seem to be good but short run times
    https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...olorCode=black

which one have a good flash pattern, brightness and run time I say at least 6 - 8 hours of visible day light.

and what would you guys recommend for the front.

thanks.
    I have two Cygolites and I've been very happy with them. A nice beam pattern, run times as advertised, well-sealed and constructed, and a rock-solid mount (but which can easily be transferred to another bike). I can use one at a time, they're each about 800 lumens or so and plenty bright, but I ended up with two, so I use them both.

I mostly run them on MUTs after dark, but I've also used them for city riding, and country roads. I've also used them on mountain bike rides, and they're fine.

Just about any light will work during the day on "flash" mode, IME.

I've heard good things about Niterider products, too, but no first-hand experience.
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

There are 2.6 million covid cases in the United States (as of June 30), five months after Donald Trump said it was "totally under control," and that "it's gonna be just fine."

RoadBikeReview Member
    If you are just worried about being seen, and lighting up the road isn't a priority, then any of the three you listed should work well. I have two Serfas and one Cygo light and they have all been bulletproof. Obviously the higher lumen ones are brighter, but they burn the battery up faster. That said, if you are just going to have the light flashing the whole time battery life will be pretty long.
    Joe Biden: a case study in plastic surgery disasters.

Liars often accuse you of lying. - Steve Maraboli

banned
    Feb 2016
    I run a Cygolite I bought on a whim at a shop years back. Metro 300. Using it on night rides and several other riders comment on how bright it is. I'm very happy.

I also use on on my helmet using a go pro vent strap and a cygolite adapter. I've had many comments of blinding people while talking to them forgetting about the light.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    thanks to everyone.
    it seem that Cygolite was the one with more mentions.

I did some more research and found this video.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YXI3TBeAss

the cygo's do have some good flash modes and seem to get good run times.

So not sure if I should get the Dice TL 50 or the Hotshot SL 50 as it would be hard to gauge the run time as it allow to change the brightness therefor reducing run time.

banned
    Feb 2016
    thanks to everyone.
    it seem that Cygolite was the one with more mentions.

I did some more research and found this video.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YXI3TBeAss

the cygo's do have some good flash modes and seem to get good run times.

So not sure if I should get the Dice TL 50 or the Hotshot SL 50 as it would be hard to gauge the run time as it allow to change the brightness therefor reducing run time.

I have the hotshot. Having 5 or so modes, I don't see the need for anything more advanced. Can't miss the various strobes it has. Good little light.

Matnlely Dregaend
    I have used Hotshots for several years but bought a set of Cygolite Dice front/rear lights in the fall and I really like them. They are tiny but the front light is bright enough to ride at night in an emergency at 150 lumens. I used to carry a Lezyne Microdrive in my pocket (200 lumens) for this purpose but the Dice set is so small I just leave them strapped on all the time.
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Cycling and ethical bankruptcy have always gone together." - Bike Snob NYC
    "White personifies this generation's obsession with superficiality, one in which a carefully curated social media post is more important than the actual ride" - Daimeon Shanks
    "I haven't been %^&* like that since I was an altar boy" Hank Moody

Seat's not level
    My daughters team bought the Knog Cobber Tail lights for each of the riders. They are really nice and bright.

They can be easily seen from the back and sides. Bright enough that even in direct sun they can not only be seen, but are bright enough to demand attention.
    • This forum requires that you wait 2 days between posts. Please try again in 17 hours.

banned
    Feb 2016
    Since I use Cygolites, I did pick up a Cygolite/gopro adapter so I can strap it onto the gp helmet vent strap. Having a headlight on the helmet is pretty cool. With the 2 cyglolites I use, never short of light. One hb and one helmet.

The adapter is for the cygolite Metro and a couple others I think.

DBT
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2008
    If you are still looking, I am a big fan of Light & Motion. I have 2 of the Urban series headlights, 2 VIS180 taillights, and the VIS360 for helmet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old enough to remember ..
    Hi,

Just ordered a set for SWMBO new e-bike
    https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and a tail light for my road bike, all of them charging via USB.
    Cheers

HJ
    ------------------------------
    Hans-Joerg Mueller
    Coldstream, BC Canada

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    Cateye Volt series has worked well for me. I look for the older versions on Amazon.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I would recommend the Garmin Varia for a tail light - once you use one it quickly becomes a favorite. For a headlight- 800 lumens or more if you are riding at night IMHO should be your plan, then flash modes for the day time. Cygolite is my favorite front light, but their are others.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

"The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection