A good cycling log book?

Mar 2002

A good cycling log book?

I am looking for a good daily log book to track my miles/rides.

Anyone have any good suggestions?

I have used "Bicycling Magazine's Ultimate Ride Guide" in the past. Pretty good. A lot of extra/unnecessary info (how to fix a flat, pick a singletrack line, etc.) but that can easily be cut out as it is spiral bound. However, this does not seem readily available anymore (out of print).

It looks like they replaced it with "The Bicycling Training Journal". Has anyone tried this one?
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

Converted Marathon Runner

Make one yourself....

I keep a training log in Access, but Excel works just as good and is easier for most people to use.

It takes some time to set it up once, but then, for the rest of the year, it's just an electronic log file. You can print it when you want.

I'm a software engineer, so i actually took it one step further and made it accessible via my PDA, but that was overkill, haha. Excel works great, give it a go.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2003

Bikejournal.com its free

Bikejournal.com its free

MTBR Super Mod'
    Quote Originally Posted by 10kman
    I keep a training log in Access, but Excel works just as good and is easier for most people to use.

It takes some time to set it up once, but then, for the rest of the year, it's just an electronic log file. You can print it when you want.

I'm a software engineer, so i actually took it one step further and made it accessible via my PDA, but that was overkill, haha. Excel works great, give it a go.
    Excel works great for a training journal. My coach made me one to use so I can print it out or email it to her every week.

Trevor!

Jan 2004
    I have one published by masterspress called "Cyclelog" that I use. It's the only one I've seen but I wasn't really looking for one when I found it.

I don't mind keeping statistics on the computer but I like having a written log better. I can take it with me places and if the electricity goes out I still have my log! I tried one of the free website ones but sometimes I cannot get on and sometimes my statistics don't post till days later. That makes it pretty useless for me.

I put my data in my computer also. I have my own excel spreadsheet but I've seen even better ones designed by other people somewhere, maybe here.

You could make one with a duotang folder and a wordprocessing program probably.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    I stick it in my PDA in the calendar app, I write a daily "no time" item with the training plan for the day and my weight in the morning. Then I attach a note to describe how the day went.

Smaller than a log book, doesn't get beat up, sync to the computer for backup, etc.. and it will work for years.

Ben

Apr 2002
    I use the Training Diary that Joe Friel created. I've been using this one for the last two years. Before that I just used a paper notebook and Excel log.

I prefer the Friel one simply because it's smaller and easier to thumb through, that and the fact that I use his online program so I can record the identical data in electronic format also.

You can buy it from Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by methosage
    I am looking for a good daily log book to track my miles/rides.

Anyone have any good suggestions?

I have used "Bicycling Magazine's Ultimate Ride Guide" in the past. Pretty good. A lot of extra/unnecessary info (how to fix a flat, pick a singletrack line, etc.) but that can easily be cut out as it is spiral bound. However, this does not seem readily available anymore (out of print).

It looks like they replaced it with "The Bicycling Training Journal". Has anyone tried this one?
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books