gravel bike for a winter bike
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2018

gravel bike for a winter bike

Around here there are a lot of days that get up around the high 30s or low 40s F, in the winter. But the roads are wet, and muddy or slushy. I've found that my cyclocross bike is just the thing, with the right tires.
    It's a lot slower than a road bike but it handles crappy conditions a lot better. Anyone else use a graveler or Cx for winter, or just use a 'winter' road bike?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    I have a CX that I bought used, with the intention of using it as my "winter" bike, i.e. the bike I would use when the roads are wet or sloppy. But it's actually a high end bike - better than my "road" bike, so I use it all year. If you are still going to be riding on paved roads, as opposed to gravel or dirt, you are going to want to stick with road tires, a bit bigger than 23mm, so the extra clearance on the CX comes in handy. Knobby CX tires don't perform as well on wet pavement as do road tires.
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

Russian Troll Farmer
    My Specialized Awol (a gravel-ish bike) works well for me during crappy weather, since I have a set of Velo Orange fenders on it. But I don't ride in snow. I'm riding 50mm Schwalbe big Apple tires, which do quite well on the slippery stuff.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    My winter bike has nearly 5Ē tires and loves the snow and the beach. It never sees the road... I find it a refreshing change of pace. I take it into the woods too. It does well.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Any bike can be a 'winter bike'. It all depends on what you need (and prefer).

Need fenders?
    Need a relaxed geometry?
    Need wider tires?
    Tubeless?
    How many gears?
    How long are your rides?
    Need to carry bags?

For me, in the PNW, fenders are must, as is a relaxed geometry and wider tires.

My winter bike happens to be a 1X Ti 'gravel' bike with 32mm Conti 4 seasons (not tubeless) and fenders. Works a treat.... The frame was found on ebay and was a *really* good deal. Ti is ideal for wet muddy rides, and it's a pleasure to ride.

JSR
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Iím in the PNW, too. A few days ago I succumbed to the inevitable. I set up my Trek Domane for winter riding, with fenders that go low in the back (riding buddies appreciate it), aluminum wheels shod with some funky tires that have thick road tread, and a somewhat larger Ortlieb waterproof saddlebag. I usually have lights front and rear, too.

Iíd say the prototype quiver here now has a gravel grinder doing double duty as suggested by the OP plus a really lightweight bike for fair weather riding. Iím happy with my Domane, but sometimes wistfully dream about realigning my fleet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    My full blown winter bike has to be a flat bar bike so I can use pogies to keep my hands warm. I haven't found any decent pogies for drop bars.

Liars often accuse you of lying. - Steve Maraboli

The word of the week = racist.

RoadBikeReview Member

Love my Poagies!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Finx View Post
    Any bike can be a 'winter bike'. It all depends on what you need (and prefer).

Need fenders?
    Need a relaxed geometry?
    Need wider tires?
    Tubeless?
    How many gears?
    How long are your rides?
    Need to carry bags?

For me, in the PNW, fenders are must, as is a relaxed geometry and wider tires.

My winter bike happens to be a 1X Ti 'gravel' bike with 32mm Conti 4 seasons (not tubeless) and fenders. Works a treat.... The frame was found on ebay and was a *really* good deal. Ti is ideal for wet muddy rides, and it's a pleasure to ride.
    With all the silly specialization today (gravel bikes, adventure bikes, endurance bikes, etc), I am surprised no one markets a "winter bike"