Great gel seat!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great gel seat!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012

Great gel seat!

So as I've aged the first part of my body to give out riding a bike now is my rear side. I'd like to do a distance record for myself this fall but I don't think I can do it without some extra cushion. Can anyone recommend a good gel seat cover for about $20? I ordered one on Amazon that was one of their best sellers and they refunded my order as they were out of stock.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Softer / more padding doesn't really help me on long rides, I wouldn't advise going that route - getting more time in the saddle incrementally leading up to your long ride is the way to do it - you will adapt to the more time riding and your butt will last longer. Also getting out of the saddle to pedal on a regular basis helps quite a bit.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

"The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    Softer / more padding doesn't really help me on long rides, I wouldn't advise going that route - getting more time in the saddle incrementally leading up to your long ride is the way to do it - you will adapt to the more time riding and your butt will last longer. Also getting out of the saddle to pedal on a regular basis helps quite a bit.
    ^^^This.^^^

Yes, I know it seems counter intuitive, but softer isn't necessarily more comfortable. If your saddle is too soft, you could get nerve pinching in areas you really don't want. If your privates are going numb, that is NOT OK.

I have tried more than a dozen saddles and have finally found my saddle a few years ago. It is the Selle Anatomica:

https://selleanatomica.com/

It doesn't LOOK comfortable, but it IS the most comfortable saddle I have ever used.

That being said, what SRode said about more time riding is true. Sit bones will be sore after rides if you don't ride much. Regular riding will make that go away.

And remember, a sore butt is OK. Numbness is NOT OK.
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    ^^^ Everything said above.

Quote Originally Posted by bradleyheathhays View Post
    Can anyone recommend a good gel seat cover for about $20?
    NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Don't do it. There is no such thing as a good gel seat cover.

I'd like to do a distance record for myself this fall but I don't think I can do it without some extra cushion.
    Do you have good padded cycling shorts?

How far are you riding now and how far is your distance record?
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Do you have good padded cycling shorts?
    Another good point. Don't go cheap on bike shorts. Get some good quality shorts like the ones from Assos or the higher end Pearl Izumi ones.

https://us.assos.com/h-milleshorts-s...lor=110&size=4

https://www.pearlizumi.com/US/en/sho...ort/p/11111608

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

JSR
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Iím told the Selle Anatomical is the saddle of choice for randonneurs.

i have an old underlayer from a mountain bike shorts set. Its chamois kind of worn out, but provides a little help under my good shorts when Iím suffering from saddle discomfort.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    gel seat cover
    No! It will cause saddle sag and if you post a question about it, you may be bombarded with skepticism.

Anyway, good suggestions are already posted by others.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013
    Getting out of saddle definitely makes a difference for me. I found that standing for even 30 seconds every half hour makes a big difference.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Thanks for all the good info everybody. Although I've been riding a while I'm still just a novice riding on average 23 miles twice a week. My longest ride so far has been about 35 but I'm sure I could've gone further. My goal by the end of the summer is to do 50, which I'm sure is short stroll down to the local market for lots of people here.

I've ridden more this summer than any other and ironically it's only in the last few weeks I've had the seat trouble. I do have room for improving my issue through as I rarely stand or get off the bike during my rides, so implementing some of these suggestions is sure too help.

Although I understand how important it is to have quality equipment my income has been down since the virus hit so I'm trying to keep things as low budget as possible for now. Since I ride in regular shorts I'll either be getting some padded bike shorts or this saddle someone sent me a link to called the Serfas Tailbones. It's described as a Lycra over progressive density foam saddle. Here's the link, scroll down and they show up...

https://www.serfas.com/product-categ...les/tailbones/

If you were to just buy one, padded pants or this seat, which would you get?
    Last edited by bradleyheathhays; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:53 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks for all the good info everybody. Although I've been riding a while I'm still just a novice riding on average 23 miles twice a week. My longest ride so far has been about 35 but I'm sure I could've gone further. My goal by the end of the summer is to do 50, which I'm sure is short stroll down to the local market for lots of people here.

I've ridden more this summer than any other and ironically it's only in the last few weeks I've had the seat trouble. I do have room for improving my issue through as I rarely stand or get off the bike during my rides, so implementing some of these suggestions is sure too help.

Although I understand how important it is to have quality equipment my income has been down since the virus hit so I'm trying to keep things as low budget as possible for now. Since I ride in regular shorts I'll either be getting some padded bike shorts or this saddle someone sent me a link to called the Serfas Tailbones. It's described as a Lycra over progressive density foam saddle. Here's the link, scroll down and they show up...

Get a pair of cycling shorts, no question at all. That will make a big difference. Pearl Izumi has some of the better value shorts in my opinion. They can be found on Amazon if you shop there - and there are several price points to choose from. As price goes up on the models, so does the comfort so I would recommend not buying based on price alone when you are considering how much you want to invest in a pair, but anything will be an improvement over the saddle you have today and the one you are looking at.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

"The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection

Banned Sock Puppet
    Padded short for sure.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks for all the good info everybody. Although I've been riding a while I'm still just a novice riding on average 23 miles twice a week. My longest ride so far has been about 35 but I'm sure I could've gone further. My goal by the end of the summer is to do 50
    Add 5mi/wk to your rides. In a month you'll be doing 50.

Although I understand how important it is to have quality equipment

Since I ride in regular shorts
    Good. Then understand, there is nothing... I repeat... nothing that is more important to a comfortable ride than quality bike shorts.

I'll either be getting some padded bike shorts or this saddle someone sent me a link to called the Serfas Tailbones. It's described as a Lycra over progressive density foam saddle. Here's the link, scroll down and they show up...

Quality cycling shorts. No if's, and's, or but's.

I would strongly recommend against that saddle either way. Saddles like those are for beach cruisers and very overweight people. They're for people who do more sitting than pedaling.
    Saddles like that with wide noses are going to rub and chafe your inner thighs. And while it seems that extra thick padding would be comfortable, it's not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Yes, I know it seems counter intuitive, but softer isn't necessarily more comfortable. If your saddle is too soft, you could get nerve pinching in areas you really don't want. If your privates are going numb, that is NOT OK.
    ^^^^^^ As Lombard said above.
    You sink into over padded saddles and they push and chafe on your nether region. Don't do it!
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quality cycling shorts. No if's, and's, or sore butts.
    Fixed!

Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    You sink into over padded saddles and they push and chafe on your nether region. Don't do it!
    Exactly.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Besides getting the right bike specific shorts, getting the properly fitting saddle is critical. It took me using over a dozen saddles to settle with the right one. Yes, it takes time and money. When the saddle shape is right for your posterior, you won't need gel or much padding on it.

There are bike shops that lend saddles for customers to try out before buying. See if you can find something like that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    Besides getting the right bike specific shorts, getting the properly fitting saddle is critical. It took me using over a dozen saddles to settle with the right one. Yes, it takes time and money. When the saddle shape is right for your posterior, you won't need gel or much padding on it.

There are bike shops that lend saddles for customers to try out before buying. See if you can find something like that.
    True, but I would get shorts and some miles on first - once he's doing more miles on his longer rides its time to try saddles. Before that I find it's really difficult to feel if one is better than another. My 2 cents anyway
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    Besides getting the right bike specific shorts, getting the properly fitting saddle is critical.
    Yes, but his saddle might be perfectly fine.
    He'll never know riding it in regular shorts.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    My new Tarmac has the Specialized Power Pro saddle. It is by far the hardest, least paddle saddle I have had in years. After a few rides I find that I actually like it better than my old, more padded saddle. Lots of ways to get your bum matched to a proper saddle and gel isn't likely to be part of that equation.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    Bradley, you sound a lot like me when I started out. I wore gym shorts and used a padded seat, too.

Firstly, get a decent pair of biking shorts, and I strongly recommend bib shorts. If your waist band moves around or rolls while riding, this can affect the position of the padding (chamois) and adversely affect your comfort.

Second, having a padded seat isn't necessarily bad, but there are probably very few padded seats that work well for distance riding. But the padding needs to be minimal and firm. I tried several padded seats and several non-padded seats (less expensive versions of the seat recommended above). In the end, I found the combination of bib shorts and the first padded seat I used (that came on my hybrid bike, no less) worked the best. I think it is a rebranded Specialized seat. The padding is quite firm, fairly minimal and does not move. And I think for me, the important thing is that it's wide enough for my sit bones. I did 51.5 miles on a single ride last month and was completely comfortable the entire time. I routinely do 30-40 mile rides. I've been using that seat for five years now.

Add on seat pads are a definite no-no. No matter how secure they seem to be, they will move around on you while you are riding and will move to the wrong place.

Bibs don't need to be expensive to be effective, but they do need to fit correctly, and beware of anything with a seam ending in the middle of the back of the leg.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    One other thing. Seat position is also very important. Height, how far forward or back the seat is and seat angle all make a huge different. 1/4 in in seat height, for me any way, is the difference between a comfortable ride and my feet going numb. A degree or two of seat angle in the wrong direction can make your privates go numb.

Russian Troll Farmer
    I would vote against bib shorts for a newbie. Reason #1 is that I've yet to find a pair of them that don't feel like they are strangling my nads.
    and, reason #2:
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

banned
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch16 View Post
    Getting out of saddle definitely makes a difference for me. I found that standing for even 30 seconds every half hour makes a big difference.
    Several Members that have replied to this thread are incapable of your suggestion of getting out of the saddle...Its Uncomfortable for them. And they rarely do.

I'm always amused when I hear:
    It took me using over a dozen saddles to settle with the right one.

Or again repeated by another :
    I have tried more than a dozen saddles and have finally found my saddle a few years ago...

Am I to guess their search for comfort peaks at lucky # twelve?

Whats with this search for comfort anyway?
    Your core and conditioning and fit are the answer, and your ass lets you know when you're in shape and positioned properly.

BTW I don't believe I gave Toulouse permission to take my pic. LOL
    Last edited by rudge66; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:28 PM.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    I would vote against bib shorts for a newbie. Reason #1 is that I've yet to find a pair of them that don't feel like they are strangling my nads.
    and, reason #2...............
    I never liked bibs because I always found them hot and they chafe my shoulders.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

banned
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    I never liked bibs because I always found them hot and they chafe my shoulders.
    My Puppet, are you are serious? " chafe my shoulders" ?
    Last edited by rudge66; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:46 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    I'm on a lot of forums and rarely have I seen one of my questions answered so thoroughly, so thanks again! Glad the advice direction is so united as well as there's no doubt what I need to do...get the bike shorts!

Sorry to say I'm definitely gonna have to go inexpensive here so I appreciate the Pearl Izumi suggestion. Any other ideas on who makes a decent inexpensive pair?
    Last edited by bradleyheathhays; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:08 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm on a lot of forums and rarely have I seen one of my questions answered so thoroughly, so thanks again! Glad the advice direction is so united as well as there's no doubt what I need to do...get the bike shorts!

Sorry to say I'm definitely gonna have to go inexpensive here so I appreciate the Pearl Izumi suggestion. Any other ideas on who makes a decent inexpensive pair?
    With cycling shorts, you really do get what you pay for, I doubt you will find better bang for the buck than Pearl Izumi. The density and thickness of the chamois is what makes the difference. If you watch Amazon, prices vary - pick a pair and put them on your list and pounce when the price drops.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast