The Great US Bike Shortage of 2020 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    a little too stoked
    Quote Originally Posted by rudge66 View Post
    oh look... my clock say's our session is over.
    Projection... it isn’t just for movie theaters anymore.

Hor d’oeuvre?
    MH: I want to go like my Dad did, peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Sys: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that the children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

a little too stoked
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    My lbs is down to 16 or so bikes left on their floor and cannot seem to get anymore. This is actually a problem for me. My company gives me $500 per year (year ends May 31st) in sport and fitness health subsidies, covering up to 50% (so I spend $1k to get the full 500). Wife wants a bike, and I want a trainer for the Gym I am building (I split my garage, it is a giant L, so the top of the "L" has been framed out).

The bike she wants, she cannot get, and all the trainers are freaking sold out till who knows when.. I found a Tacx NEO 2t, but that is $1300 to $1400, more than I want to spend. I wanted the Wahoo Kickr, but those are all sold out... everywhere it seams.
    Do you still get the company subsidy if you put the bike on layaway?
    MH: I want to go like my Dad did, peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Do you still get the company subsidy if you put the bike on layaway?
    Not sure, as long as the receipt I have to submit is dated before the 31st, I am good. I have done this previously, a few years ago I used some of the subsidy to get my Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0 with DI ($5k ish heh.. my wife was pissed), it was a special order, usually they require just a deposit, but they charged me the full price, and then I waited for 4 months for the bike to be available. Edit: They charged the full price at my request.

But the difference there was I already knew what bike I wanted. For my wife, she has an idea of what she wants, but there are no bikes in stock for her to test ride, and at 6'1" she has fitment issues, so we cannot just buy a bike.

I think I am just going to bite the bullet, and spend the $1400 on the TACX Neo 2t, it's more than I wanted to spend.. but hey, it was my birthday yesterday.. so happy birthday to myself lol....

a little too stoked
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    Not sure, as long as the receipt I have to submit is dated before the 31st, I am good. I have done this previously, a few years ago I used some of the subsidy to get my Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0 with DI ($5k ish heh.. my wife was pissed), it was a special order, usually they require just a deposit, but they charged me the full price, and then I waited for 4 months for the bike to be available. Edit: They charged the full price at my request.

But the difference there was I already knew what bike I wanted. For my wife, she has an idea of what she wants, but there are no bikes in stock for her to test ride, and at 6'1" she has fitment issues, so we cannot just buy a bike.

I think I am just going to bite the bullet, and spend the $1400 on the TACX Neo 2t, it's more than I wanted to spend.. but hey, it was my birthday yesterday.. so happy birthday to myself lol....
    That's usually how it works... gun to your head, you know deep down what you really want, and you'll get it, even it's more than you wanted to shell out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I just saw a video the other day that there is a bike shortage in the Phillipines. I that is the case I suspect the rest of the world as well.

Huge in Japan
    Stopped at the shop yesterday to pick up some stuff I had them order in for me. Place was nearly empty and the owner looked like he had been to hell and back. He basically said that if it's $1,500 or less it's gone. His supply chain is telling him maybe August. It has to be a huge challenge to even make a floor plan or projections based on the way things have been.

I had them order in a Revolt Advanced 0 that I took delivery of in late February, early March. Then a short time later, just after Covid hit, I questioned my decision but now I feel like it was unwittingly the right choice.
    Interwebs bumpersticker goes here

a little too stoked
    ^ Wow.

I guess what I want to know is, will many of these newly-minted ‘covid cyclists’ STAY cyclists, or does the bike go right into the garage and gather dust once life returns to normal?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    ^ Wow.

I guess what I want to know is, will many of these newly-minted ‘covid cyclists’ STAY cyclists, or does the bike go right into the garage and gather dust once life returns to normal?
    Many wont but some will. I consider that a win. Something about an item being in short supply brings out the crazy in us.

Huge in Japan
    ^ Wow.

I imagine the percent of new recruits that discover a newfound love in cycling will be the minority percent. Good for them as with anyone that finds cycling a keeper activity. For the rest, at least they tried I guess. For shops this whole thing has to be quite a double edged sword; highly disruptive and makes future business predictions extremely difficult but for now cash flow is high.
    Interwebs bumpersticker goes here

Russian Troll Farmer
    Check back in 1 year. I expect we'll be talking about the Great Bike Glut of 2021.......
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Check back in 1 year. I expect we'll be talking about the Great Bike Glut of 2021.......
    Hope so. I'll be on ebay looking for bargains

Road Warrior
    Both of the LBSs in Corpus Christi are sold out and the mechanics are booked for weeks,, this is the best possible outcome for the lockdown an for us-cycling.. Its great to see so many cyclists and they are riding everything possible, mountain, pleasure, road, gravel, fats.

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    Hope so. I'll be on ebay looking for bargains
    Yep. Meanwhile, in addition to the bikes I imagine there will be a commensurate increase in clothing and accessories sales as well.
    Given his penchant for nicknames, and his aversion to reading, I've decided to shorten Donald J. Trump to it's essence: Dump*

I was "social distancing" before it was cool.

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Thanks!

I think it's because Trek wanted to do everything by appointment and my new shop isn't doing appts, you wait in line...we'll get it done when we can. Some local shops (including BIG ones) have flat stopped taking service in.
    I am guessing that was your manager's decision. The Tacoma Trek store has been by appointment only and is still doing decent business while our Olympia store has just been running the metered play (only one customer/small family group per salesperson) and have been breaking sales goals like crazy. We have several times had to stop taking in bikes for service until our mechanics get caught up and the previous customers pick up their repaired bikes, freeing up space for storage.

That being said, the company is sold out of everything below $1000 and running low on most other bikes. It has been a record breaking year for the company, world wide.

The funniest part is, during this time when we are having a hard time getting bikes (they are trickling in in all price levels) we keep getting customers upset that we aren't having a sale (either our annual April spring sale or a Memorial Day Sale). How can you have a big sale when you have so little inventory to sell? Some consumers just aren't very bright...
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by BATMAN View Post
    I just saw a video the other day that there is a bike shortage in the Phillipines. I that is the case I suspect the rest of the world as well.
    It is the case everywhere in the world, for two reasons:

First, production was either shut down or greatly reduced at the factories in Asia back in Jan-April and secondly, demand skyrocketed as people found that cycling was one of the few things they could do during the "shelter at home" quarantines (in most areas).
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bradkay View Post
    How can you have a big sale when you have so little inventory to sell? Some consumers just aren't very bright...
    I'm having a sale right now. All bikes under $1000 are free with the purchase of a $200 tune up.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    I've been down in the New Orleans area helping family, and didn't see it, but my father said in the local paper was an article that you can't get service because all the mechs are too busy setting up new bikes.

scott s.

a little too stoked
    Quote Originally Posted by 202cycle View Post
    I'm having a sale right now. All bikes under $1000 are free with the purchase of a $200 tune up.
    whut?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 202cycle View Post
    I'll take as many as you have

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12