Great weather in the North East US
    RoadBikeReview Member

Great weather in the North East US

Glorious! Glorious riding weather!

a notch over 60F today, 70F both days this weekend and high 50's early next week. I don't know whom I should genuflect to for this bone but just point me in the right direction. Looks like I'll be able to ride into December with just my fall tights and fall gloves.

I work From Home which allows me to time my rides at the high of the day.

Very stoked.
    "That pretty much sums it up. I'm 43 and my max is ~178-180. If that HR chart was mine or Froome's, we'd be on the verge of death. But for you it probably looks like a normal workout." -TLG

LOLOLOL

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Philly northwest burbs here. I'm stoked too! I haven't been out on my bike for ages.

At the very least, I plan an out-n-back on the Schuylkill River Trail from Conshy to Audubon!

Leaves are slippery and squirrels are completely please-run-over-me insane this time of year, but I'm going!

Damn the leaves and squirrely squirrels. Full speed ahead!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Just today I gave a nod to a fellow cyclist before looking down at my power meter. Out of the corner of my eye I saw a brown blob moving towards me and then away. If he kept going it would have been lights out.

Park rangers closed a portion of the park here near NYC where the roads are entirely covered in leaves. Leaves are slippery. I never broke anything but I believe I had a run in with leaves because I avoid them like the plague.
    "That pretty much sums it up. I'm 43 and my max is ~178-180. If that HR chart was mine or Froome's, we'd be on the verge of death. But for you it probably looks like a normal workout." -TLG

LOLOLOL

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    A few years ago, I ran over a squirrel that was darting back and forth, lining up on my wheel no matter how I tried to avoid it.

I managed to miss it with the front wheel, but rolled over it with the back wheel, having braked down to about 10 mph. Sickening feeling, as it rolled under my wheel. I got off the bike and looked for it. It had run off into the woods and I couldn't find it. I guess it was either OK or it became dinner for a fox or hawk.

Leaves... I treat them like packed snow-ice and solid ice.

Once while hotdogging on my MTB on packed snow-ice, I went down.

The crash was slow enough that I shouldn't have gotten hurt... except I put out my right arm to "catch myself" on the way down as my bike went out from under me. Of course, my arm slid out, ending up over my head as I laid on the ice thinking about how stupid I was.

Result: separated ribs on my right side. I had a hard time inhaling air, sleeping, eating, shifting gears in my car, etc, for the next few weeks. Ouch, just thinking about it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    A few years ago, I ran over a squirrel that was darting back and forth, lining up on my wheel no matter how I tried to avoid it.
    Squirrels, chipmunks, and rabbits all seem to do this. I had the same thing happen years ago on my motorcycle on our dirt driveway with a bunny. A rabbit in pain is a horrible, horrible sound. Thankfully I've not hit one with my bicycle (yet) but I've been dang close.

Kind of off topic, but right after we bought our house there was a red squirrel trying to move in. I shot one in the yard; we live in town so all i can use is an air rifle. I hit it but it was still alive. I don't care for killing animals for being animals, but it had been aggressively trying to get into my attic. I hate wounding them even more. Anyway, it was in the front yard and I ran to get a shovel to dispatch it quickly and remove it. I was trying to finish it off with the shovel and found I had underestimated his toughness. As I'm doing this, I look up and a lady is walking by with her toddler in a stroller, both wide-eyed and visibly shocked at what they were witnessing. This event cemented my reputation as the town psychopath. We don't get a lot of visitors.

Huge in Japan
    Packing the car and heading to FLNF for a few days of camping and riding. It feels great to be saying that in November in NY.
    Interwebs bumpersticker goes here

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 9W9W View Post
    Glorious! Glorious riding weather!

a notch over 60F today, 70F both days this weekend and high 50's early next week. I don't know whom I should genuflect to for this bone but just point me in the right direction. Looks like I'll be able to ride into December with just my fall tights and fall gloves.

I work From Home which allows me to time my rides at the high of the day.

Very stoked.
    I went out today and tried to soldier through the oppressive heat. 75F, blue skies... who wants that in November? I had been way behind this year in my mileage plan, but thanks to a warm fall and working from home, I may actually meet my mileage goal

RoadBikeReview Member
    NY HudsonValley
    Squirrel darted into my wheel at 38 mph. It didn't pass through the spokes, thankfully. Deer are jump's close many a time.
    I need to expect this to happen in a split second.
    Last week I was wearing shoe covers, tights and gloves @ 44 F.
    I need shoe covers at 55F.

... but I'm also looking forward to the transition and winter rides. I love it just as much.
    Persecuted, Crucified, Kicked Out Of The Sand Box! ... Banned ... and Resurrected !

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    I went out today and tried to soldier through the oppressive heat. 75F, blue skies... who wants that in November? I had been way behind this year in my mileage plan, but thanks to a warm fall and working from home, I may actually meet my mileage goal
    I got a new-to-me bike and new wheels a week before COVID hit. Rode every decent weather day in Palisades Park, NJ which is right outside my house. May was a big month for me, the summer was spotty. I had some health issues and then some other stuff didn't work out. October was my biggest cycling month, mostly due to the good weather we've been having. I was surprised to discover that November was as big of a cycling month for me as July or August.

But now it's getting cold and it's over... I've a really tough time cycling in anything below 50F. Lungs burn, toes get cold. It's tough, I loathe being "stuck" inside the house.

I picked up a like new cheap Sunny spin bike. Add iPad, download Peloton, add cadence sensor, still bake at 450F and out comes poor man's Peloton bike. Spinning is lame, but I have to burn calories somehow.

LOLOLOL

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

warm winter in Socal too

it's low 70s and sunny in Socal, and while this is great for cycling, i fear the rain won't be coming much this winter, which means drought

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    it's low 70s and sunny in Socal, and while this is great for cycling, i fear the rain won't be coming much this winter, which means drought

Short of having lost everything in a raging fire, you don't get to complain living in SoCal. Sorry. People shutter indoor for months on end in the North East. Every day between 60-70 is a gift here.

I did laps in Central Park today, overcast 59-62F, was stupid happy to be out.

LOLOLOL