Had another bike/pick up while on my bike on the other day. Video
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

Had another bike/pick up incident while on my bike on the other day. Video

Things like has happed so many times I now have a camera on the front and the back of my bike...,, sorry for the 4 second add, I suck at Photoshop.....https://youtu.be/JhGcbd_amUw
    Last edited by walrus; 06-09-2019 at 11:15 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    What did you expect? You moved from the shoulder to the center of the lane just as the pickup was approaching. If things like this happen to you many times, perhaps you need to evaluate your own behavior on the road.
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    I'm with AlanE. No sympathy from me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    The driver of the pickup obviously acted dangerously and illegally. However, like the posters above, I'm confused as to your choice regarding lane positioning. You had no problem with the vehicles passing previously, why did you choose to move to the center line of the road when the pickup approached?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    He has a right to ride on the road. What if there was a dog in the road, what then?
    Just because your on a bike and ride straight for a while doesn't mean your a **** cause you don't for a while.
    If that was your grandmother walking on the road, and all of a suddent she gets to feeling wobbley, and ventures out more into the road, ....?
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    I see why you have cameras front and rear. To record your own bad riding habits. You should have been just to the left of the right wheel track of the gravel truck and not centered in the lane and you should have been more aware of traffic approaching from behind. You should have started moving back over to the right hand side before the PU got behind you. At the same time the I will say that the PU driver should have stayed behind you and not try to pass you.
    Last edited by exracer; 06-10-2019 at 04:29 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    Just because your on a bike and ride straight for a while doesn't mean your a **** cause you don't for a while.
    Yes you are. Depending of course on what a "****" is. In order to ride safely among others, you have to ride predictably. Hold your line. Don't veer in and out of the lane unnecessarily.
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Both $*#@ed up here.

The walrus moved left into the path of the truck - guessing because he was laser-focused on drafting the previous truck. The driver of the pickup was a **** for sure. Getting that close to a cyclist - regardless of how much the cyclist is riding like an ******* - is just way too dangerous.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    It was dumb swerving out into the road in front of that truck, but that guy driving the truck is a real @ss. He actually tried passing on the right!

Cyclist versus car --- cyclist loses every time. I see people doing really dumb stuff all the time. I'm sure there's more than one person with 'I had the right of way' on their tombstone.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Dangerous decisions:

#1: Drafting a large truck.

#2: Swerving out into a busy traffic lane to do #1.

#3. Continuing to swerve to the left until you're riding on the Double Yellow Lines! Think about that. It looked to me like you were boldly setting up for a left turn or U turn.

#4. Trying to pin all this on the pickup driver who was probably as confused as I am about your decisions and what's more, your intentions as you executed the dangerous maneuver mentioned in item #3.

... and, of course, coming here to post a video of you doing all these dangerous things, looking for what? Sympathy? Anger at this pickup truck driver, because, like pickup truck drivers are evil?

Sheesh.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Truck driver was definitely dangerous and shouldn't have done what he did...BUT...OP rides like an idiot for sure. And his bike needs a tune up, that drivetrain sounds like ****!

Thread will not go the way the OP hoped.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Things like has happed so many times I now have a camera on the front and the back of my bike...
    So many times? Perhaps it's time to reflect on your riding habits.
    Just because you 'can' do something doesn't mean you should.

Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    #3. Continuing to swerve to the left until you're riding on the Double Yellow Lines! Think about that. It looked to me like you were boldly setting up for a left turn or U turn.
    When I was watching the video I thought WTF! Why the hell is he ON THE YELLOW LINE. The video says he was only riding 27mph. That ain't that fast for a wide sweeping turn. There's no need to ride onto the yellow line to bank that.

#4. Trying to pin all this on the pickup driver who was probably as confused as I am about your decisions and what's more, your intentions as you executed the dangerous maneuver mentioned in item #3.
    Maybe the driver was being a d!ck. Or maybe he just wasn't paying attention, didn't realize there was a cyclists until he was right up on him. Makes sense to avoid him to the right instead of driving into the other lane.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Cyclist versus car --- cyclist loses every time. I see people doing really dumb stuff all the time. I'm sure there's more than one person with 'I had the right of way' on their tombstone.
    As the saying goes, it doesn't matter if you're dead wrong or dead right, you're still DEAD.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

Russian Troll Farmer
    Too bad you don't know how to hold a line in traffic. Had that truck hit you and killed you, after the cops saw this video, he would've been exonerated. Learn how to drive legally in traffic, will ya? You should've spent the money you paid for the camera on a traffic class at the DMV....
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Riding like that validates the hate that drivers have for cyclists.
    That guy might not be so nice to the next guy he comes upon riding like a moron.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Truck driver was definitely dangerous and shouldn't have done what he did...BUT...OP rides like an idiot for sure. And his bike needs a tune up, that drivetrain sounds like ****!

Thread will not go the way the OP hoped.
    Haha, that’s what I was thinking listening to it...
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Riding like that validates the hate that drivers have for cyclists.
    That guy might not be so nice to the next guy he comes upon riding like a moron.
    ^Good point!^
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    The OP removed the video. You guys messed up his head. I see signs saying cyclist can take over the lane, but we have to use some common sense on when to and when not to take it. Like someone said, just because you can, doesn't mean you should. I can't beat a 2 ton vehicle and won't try - dead is dead.

You gotta know when to hold them, know when to throw them, know when to walk away and know when to run.

[REDACTED]
    The sign "Bike may use full lane" should, and I emphasize "should" according to people with common sense, that a bike may use the full lane when this is the only safe way to ride. It is sort of like the ambiguous statement in NJ law that says "Cyclists must ride as far to the right as is practicable". NJ law also says that cyclists may ride two abreast where traffic is not impeded, but must ride single file in traffic.

Unfortunately, common sense isn't so common.

What the OP did in that video is akin to poking a skunk with a stick.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodical View Post
    The OP removed the video.
    püssy. you gotta own that shít. i didn't see it and don't know what happened. but just make up some shît like, "i was druuuunk," and own up to riding around like a retard.

"I don't know anything about it, but i assume he is on steroids."
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    funny thread, OP was trying to create a pity party for his sh!tty riding style and it didn't work...

his bike sounds like crap too...wtf were those noises??? sounded like a garbage disposal grinding up beer bottles.

and even with the sketchy riding involved, the driver of the PU was a jerkwad. he closed hard on the cyclist just to be an azzho...
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    The pickup driver would be facing possible assault or assault with a deadly weapon crime in many states.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    As the saying goes, it doesn't matter if you're dead wrong or dead right, you're still DEAD.
    Reminds me of a driver safety poster from years ago:

"If you get hit from behind, it's the other guy's fault. You can laugh all the way to the hospital."
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    "Video Removed by the User"...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finx View Post
    "Video Removed by the User"...
    It was a funky looks video, he’s riding appropriately along near the fog line and then, without his providing an explanation for it, he is all of a sudden out in the middle of the road? I thought maybe there was a bomb crater along the fog line? But the truck would have hit it, and noticeable I’d guess? Why would you change you relationship to overcoming traffic like that? Maybe you ride with so little traffic you get sloppy? Maybe the 18 wheeler sucked him out? I mean, did he try to draft the big rig? Seriously? I can’t imagine that being true... Rocks fallen onto the road maybe?
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast