Handlebar Tape - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Handlebar Tape

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    OK, I took the plunge on some black Fizik Solocush Tacky Bar Tape which was on sale at Competitive Cyclist:

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/f...wMTA2#the-wall

And what say you RE Fizik Tape ? Come out with it , need we ask?
    Did it solve your numb hand issues? Huh?

BTW I love my Fizi:k R5 Road Shoes. Love their style and fit.
    ...er but I don't think you ride road shoes... so you wouldn't understand.
    Last edited by rudge66; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:57 PM.
    rotate avatar left for correct road fit position

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by rudge66 View Post
    And what say you RE Fizik Tape ? Come out with it , need we ask?
    Did it solve your numb hand issues? Huh?
    How could it do anything for me yet? I just ordered it.

BTW I love my Fizi:k R5 Road Shoes. Love their style and fit.
    ...er but I don't think you ride road shoes... so you wouldn't understand.
    And your point?
    "Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital." - Aaron Levenstein.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    How could it do anything for me yet? I just ordered it.

And your point?
    er.. ok I missed your " just plunged " part with the tape... my bad.

About your hand numb issue... that's not tape related... That's fit related.
    (Point #1)

About FiZiK Road Shoes ... Don't think you got that on your radar. You don't ride their road shoes...do you?
    (Point #2).

I like their products. Never tried the bar tape.

But please do, show/tell your Fizik bar tape review.

(What color did you get)?
    Last edited by rudge66; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:42 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    Supacaz handle bar tape

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    I like fizik tape.

If budget is a concern, Profile Design makes a cork tape that Iíve had good luck with.
    Fizik ftw,
    I get about 2 years out of the micro fiber (at 4k/yr)
    I tried Cinelli Cork and hated it, started decomposing after 3 rides
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

RoadBikeReview Member
    If you like padded - Bontrager gel cork and double gel cork are nice options. Very durable and comfortable.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

"The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection

Banned Sock Puppet
    Black.

Quote Originally Posted by la rosa View Post
    Supacaz handle bar tape
    I considered this one and the pattern on it is really cool, but saw some not so nice reviews about lack of padding and durability.

Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    If you like padded - Bontrager gel cork and double gel cork are nice options. Very durable and comfortable.
    When it comes to padding, I like a moderate amount, but more isn't better. I have had bar tape that actually had too much padding for my taste. There was a feeling of lack of control with it. 2.5mm or thereabout is the sweet spot. 3mm or more is too much.

Thank you all for the input!

Last edited by Lombard; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:26 AM.
    "Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital." - Aaron Levenstein.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

Grumpy Old Man
    Mar 2010
    Iíve used Bontrager gel cork bar tape on most of my builds this year, primarily because I live across the street from REI and itís what they carry. So far Iíve been happy with it. At $20.00 a set itís not too expensive either. Color options are limited but i usually prefer black anyhow.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've been taping bars for years and I'm sure I've used every brand and variation out there more than once. Lately I have been using Fizik, but flat aero bars require more tape and I'm always wrapping and rewrapping to make the tape cover. I tried Domain, which claims to be the longest tape available, and find I have more than enough to do the job. It's not super padded, but it stretches well and no "do overs" are needed. I will probably stick with Fizik on conventional bars, but if you have aero bars I'm convinced its the most trouble free.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MDM View Post
    Cinelli cork ribbon. And yes, this thread needs to be in "Components, Wrenching" and Lombard needs to be given a time out.
    I use Cinelli cork tape on all my steel bikes because that is what nature intended. Last time I re-taped I tried the Cinelli cork gel tape; I have to say its a bit more comfy. I don't like to admit it, but I have used the Bontrager gel cork once or twice when Cinelli was not available. It works well also

Frog Whisperer
    Imo, padded tape is lumpy. I hate it!
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

RoadBikeReview Member
    er.. ok I missed your " just plunged " part with the tape... my bad.

About your hand numb issue... that's not tape related... That's fit related.
    (Point #1)

About FiZiK Road Shoes ... Don't think you got that on your radar. You don't ride their road shoes...do you?
    (Point #2).

I like their products. Never tried the bar tape.

But please do, show/tell your Fizik bar tape review.

OK PrairieBoy,

Point #1, Lombard (Or ErnieWTF I think of him because of his avatar) made no reference to hand numbness in this thread. I'll tell you something else about hand numbness. I've had quite a bit of it since the early 80s from lots of hits on the wrist riding skateboards. I also had another wreck on the left which was diagnosed with an MRI as a partial rotator cuff tear. And my right hand. Also experienced lots of numbness but happily that seems to be resolved after surgery for carpal tunnel surgery a couple of years ago. None of that is fit related.

Point #2, Why does ErnieWTF put a burr under your saddle, as others have alluded to? Do you have anything meaningful to contribute to this thread?

Point #3, OP/ErnieWTF, I've loved Lizard Skins on my road bike for several years. But it never lasted a season. I've been using double-wrapping on my gravel and MUT bikes for a long time, just using Bontager gel tape, gives me plenty cushiness. And when you put the second layer on, you may have to stretch the tape quite a bit to have enough tape for the second wrap. I wrapped my road bike bars last fall with a single layer of gel tape, and I really want a second layer. 31.8mm bars aren't 'fat' enough, and I don't have monster hands either.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by ogre View Post
    Point #3, OP/ErnieWTF, I've loved Lizard Skins on my road bike for several years. But it never lasted a season. I've been using double-wrapping on my gravel and MUT bikes for a long time, just using Bontager gel tape, gives me plenty cushiness. And when you put the second layer on, you may have to stretch the tape quite a bit to have enough tape for the second wrap. I wrapped my road bike bars last fall with a single layer of gel tape, and I really want a second layer. 31.8mm bars aren't 'fat' enough, and I don't have monster hands either.
    Hmmm. I've never tried double wrapping for the reason it would make the bars too thick for my taste - which is what happened when I tried 3.5mm tape once. I felt that the thickness reduced the feeling of control. I have the curse of small hands and big feet. Not sure how I got that mutant gene.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    To be more clear, I am using MSW EVA tape right now and I really like it. It has worn well, but its time has come to replace it. Well, no matter where I look, the MSW product has been discontinued.

So what am I looking for? Something with reasonable wear, comfort (2.5mm) and grip.....you know, everything a good bar tape has.

So I just want to get an idea of what people here use, what they like and what sucks. That's all.

Does anybody think the high end tapes from companies like Fizik and Lizard Skins are worth the $40 price tag, or are they just hype.

Looks like back is available here: https://www.treefortbikes.com/MSW-EV...oaAqgGEALw_wcB

Everybody and their brother makes a basic foam tape like that. LBS very likely has something about identical.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    Fizik ftw, I get about 2 years out of the micro fiber (at 4k/yr)
    yeah, 2 years at 8K miles/yr here.

if it wasn't for Fizik, I wouldn't be running white bar tape...stuff cleans up easily and wears like iron.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

MDM
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    I use Cinelli cork tape on all my steel bikes because that is what nature intended. Last time I re-taped I tried the Cinelli cork gel tape; I have to say its a bit more comfy. I don't like to admit it, but I have used the Bontrager gel cork once or twice when Cinelli was not available. It works well also
    I use the gel tape, but I think it wears faster and moves around more because it doesn't have an adhesive on the back. I think I'll use the cork tape next time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    SUPACAZ!

I got nearly 15,000 miles out of my first wrap job, I couldn't believe it.

And their bar ends are tremendous.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MDM View Post
    I use the gel tape, but I think it wears faster and moves around more because it doesn't have an adhesive on the back. I think I'll use the cork tape next time.
    I use lighter colored tapes (white, yellow, orange) so they usually get replaced due to dirt before they wear out. I haven't noticed it sliding around but there is probably left over sticky goo on the bars from past tapes

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    I haven't noticed it sliding around but there is probably left over sticky goo on the bars from past tapes
    I can't say I've ever had a problem with tape slipping unless I didn't wrap it tight enough.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    OK, I took the plunge on some black Fizik Solocush Tacky Bar Tape which was on sale at Competitive Cyclist:

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/f...wMTA2#the-wall
    I just put that on two of my bikes. It's great feeling stuff. For decades I've been a Cinelli cork wrap guy -- this stuff is better. Kinda pricey though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I wasted $40 bucks on the Lizard Skin.
    I'm happy with $16 dollar Cinelli Camo, Bought two.
    Considered SupaCaz, but wasn't in the mood to spend another $40.

jkc
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Cork or synthetic cork on a 6 to 12 months replacement cycle. Mid year is necessary for my indoor setup as I only wash it on a roughly monthly schedule as opposed to biweekly outdoors. I tend to have SRAM around since it's cheap.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Well it's time for new handlebar tape. What do you all recommend?
    I am a Lizards Skins guy. I dismissed it for years as a gimmick, but finally tried it and I am hooked. I am putting it on my new MTB I am building as well.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    but finally tried it and I am hooked.
    How long has it been on and how does it look now?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    How long has it been on and how does it look now?
    Over eight months and it looks pretty much the same it did when I put it on with minimal wear. I don't ride in a lot of foul weather though and I almost always wear gloves. I have zero complaints.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast