Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    People buy them because they like how they look. Numerous studies have shown from a watts saved per dollar perspective, aero wheels are one of the least effective enhancements cyclists can invest in. IMO, deep section carbon wheels are inferior to low profile alloy wheels in almost every way: they're much more expensive, offer worse braking, are harder to control in cross winds, often ride more harshly and are more prone to failure through delamination.

Prices are plummeting and performance is getting better, but it remains a fashion thing to me.

Note: I've owned deep section carbon wheels in the past but went back to low profile alloy wheels.

RoadBikeReview Member
    In terms of performance improvement, they are about a 2/10. In terms of sexy, they are a 9/10. Ratings may vary based on individual preference and rim type/application.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Unsprung weight. Lighter wheels do help, but today has less to do with material used, but how much lighter the wheel is.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Didn't November Dave post here a way back regarding why he quit selling carbon clinchers?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    Unsprung weight. Lighter wheels do help, but today has less to do with material used, but how much lighter the wheel is.
    Unsprung weight ???????????. That might be a positive if road bikes actually had front and rear suspensions but since 99.9% don't have anything you could call a suspension system, unsprung weight not the best argument for them. Weight, rotational mass, acceleration; yeah I'll buy those.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by exracer View Post
    Weight, rotational mass, acceleration; yeah I'll buy those.
    Low inertial light rims yes. Tubular that's true, but carbon clinchers rims are damn near as heavy as aluminum ones. 40-50 grams maybe (<40mm tall).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Since when is cycling about what a person "needs"?

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by El Scorcho View Post
    Since when is cycling about what a person "needs"?
    Two wheels and pedals. Anything else is luxury.

Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Zactly!

So if I am just after luxury items like gears, rubber tires and brakes it feels silly to draw the line at carbon wheels.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I see carbon every once in awhile when riding around but it could be the Bicycling Mag. guys/gals. It certainly is not 'everybody' in Emmaus PA. With that said I love my Shamal's Except I bought them used locally and they are the 2-way fit version. They are the one of the hardest rims to fit a tire to. I usually put new tires on w/o tubes over night so they stretch a little so I can get them on with tubes and just hands. It took me longer then it should have to realize that no tire irons during install is they way to go if I don't want to have a damaged inner-tube.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 50x25 View Post
    I see carbon every once in awhile when riding around but it could be the Bicycling Mag. guys/gals. It certainly is not 'everybody' in Emmaus PA. With that said I love my Shamal's Except I bought them used locally and they are the 2-way fit version. They are the one of the hardest rims to fit a tire to. I usually put new tires on w/o tubes over night so they stretch a little so I can get them on with tubes and just hands. It took me longer then it should have to realize that no tire irons during install is they way to go if I don't want to have a damaged inner-tube.
    I am not sure the folks at Bicycling Mag even ride bikes

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2008
    I have an aero Felt, With carbon wheels DT Swiss 240 hubs , With the whole package I decimate Most everyone on Downhills. I'm talking about when everybody is tucked in and Coasting. I am one up of the slowest riders on the Saturday morning shop group ride, But get me a little tail wind a little slice of a downgrade And I can catch back up. That being said there is no Better equalizer than saddle time. But I'll still Believe that all of the little improvements add up.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
    Well I have 22 gears and electric shifting and I'm slower than when I had 12 gears and downtube friction shifters. Hmm.
    The difference, you got older.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    I am from the people should ride whatever they want school of thought. Everyone else should learn to be ok with other people's choices and just enjoy riding their own bike in my opinion. The benefits of carbon wheels, frames, electronic shifting, etc. depend on what your goals and preferences are. If you are a crit racer or time trialist, aero carbon wheels might matter more to you, if you compete in hill climbs or chase KOMs, you might prefer that lightweight frame, etc. It's a subjective thing. Nothing wrong going in either direction. Carry on....

The New Rules of Cycling: AKA Philuminati – Phil Gaimon
    I'm with you on this. What ever floats your boat. I won't judge people. Do what brings you joy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    Carbon wheels are lighter, thereby making it easier to flip the bike upside down when you have to change a tube.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to jetdog9 again.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    If you carry your wallet on your rides, it makes that lighter too. Win-win!
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

banned
    Nov 2009
    Good morning village idiot.

Road Warrior
    For 99.999% of us, it’s about the looks. If they make you smile, pull out the wallet. Speed is about the motor, not the wheels. We all have the friend that rides on a 90ish steel Bianchi, 7 or 8 speed, old style alloy wheels and kicks arse, definitely proof that you can’t buy performance.

banned
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
    People buy them because they like how they look. Numerous studies have shown from a watts saved per dollar perspective, aero wheels are one of the least effective enhancements cyclists can invest in. IMO, deep section carbon wheels are inferior to low profile alloy wheels in almost every way: they're much more expensive, offer worse braking, are harder to control in cross winds, often ride more harshly and are more prone to failure through delamination.

Prices are plummeting and performance is getting better, but it remains a fashion thing to me.

Note: I've owned deep section carbon wheels in the past but went back to low profile alloy wheels.
    Good post Hiro...especially for weekend warrior who doesn't live and die by a handful of grams of aero drag.

banned
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by n2deep View Post
    For 99.999% of us, it’s about the looks. If they make you smile, pull out the wallet. Speed is about the motor, not the wheels. We all have the friend that rides on a 90ish steel Bianchi, 7 or 8 speed, old style alloy wheels and kicks arse, definitely proof that you can’t buy performance.
    True dat. Can't buy game. Doesn't keep fat rich guys from trying however.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    I am not sure the folks at Bicycling Mag even ride bikes
    Their advertising head count is much larger than their writer head count.

Neophyte
    Don't forget, the way that some people claim bike weight the pedals are optional.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 11spd View Post
    True dat. Can't buy game. Doesn't keep fat rich guys from trying however.
    So true but to clarify...it's fat, rich, old guys. My ride is proof...
    Have we all been Flamboozled ?-img_3305.jpeg

Road Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by woodys737 View Post
    so true but to clarify...it's fat, rich, old guys. My ride is proof...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3305.jpeg 
Views:	25 
Size:	171.4 KB 
ID:	323401

+ Me Tooooo !!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Didn't November Dave post here a way back regarding why he quit selling carbon clinchers?
    Because insurance got too expensive. And reverse justification from there.

FWIW - I have alloy wheels from them. Really happy with the wheel set. I would buy from them again. I recommend their wheel builds.

But, I found that whole reasoning they put out about why they longer sold their carbon wheels a bit disingenuous. Go read their blogs. It started with insurance getting too expensive.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast