Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 54
  1. #26
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,001
    People buy them because they like how they look. Numerous studies have shown from a watts saved per dollar perspective, aero wheels are one of the least effective enhancements cyclists can invest in. IMO, deep section carbon wheels are inferior to low profile alloy wheels in almost every way: they're much more expensive, offer worse braking, are harder to control in cross winds, often ride more harshly and are more prone to failure through delamination.

    Prices are plummeting and performance is getting better, but it remains a fashion thing to me.

    Note: I've owned deep section carbon wheels in the past but went back to low profile alloy wheels.

  2. #27
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: jspharmd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,212
    In terms of performance improvement, they are about a 2/10. In terms of sexy, they are a 9/10. Ratings may vary based on individual preference and rim type/application.

  3. #28
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    2,136
    Unsprung weight. Lighter wheels do help, but today has less to do with material used, but how much lighter the wheel is.

  4. #29
    pmf
    pmf is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,992
    Didn't November Dave post here a way back regarding why he quit selling carbon clinchers?

  5. #30
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,189
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    Unsprung weight. Lighter wheels do help, but today has less to do with material used, but how much lighter the wheel is.
    Unsprung weight ???????????. That might be a positive if road bikes actually had front and rear suspensions but since 99.9% don't have anything you could call a suspension system, unsprung weight not the best argument for them. Weight, rotational mass, acceleration; yeah I'll buy those.

  6. #31
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Notvintage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,222
    Quote Originally Posted by exracer View Post
    Weight, rotational mass, acceleration; yeah I'll buy those.
    Low inertial light rims yes. Tubular that's true, but carbon clinchers rims are damn near as heavy as aluminum ones. 40-50 grams maybe (<40mm tall).

  7. #32
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: El Scorcho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    777
    Since when is cycling about what a person "needs"?

  8. #33
    tlg
    tlg is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    13,122
    Quote Originally Posted by El Scorcho View Post
    Since when is cycling about what a person "needs"?
    Two wheels and pedals. Anything else is luxury.

    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

  9. #34
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: El Scorcho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    777
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Two wheels and pedals. Anything else is luxury.
    Zactly!

    So if I am just after luxury items like gears, rubber tires and brakes it feels silly to draw the line at carbon wheels.

  10. #35
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: 50x25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    58
    I see carbon every once in awhile when riding around but it could be the Bicycling Mag. guys/gals. It certainly is not 'everybody' in Emmaus PA. With that said I love my Shamal's Except I bought them used locally and they are the 2-way fit version. They are the one of the hardest rims to fit a tire to. I usually put new tires on w/o tubes over night so they stretch a little so I can get them on with tubes and just hands. It took me longer then it should have to realize that no tire irons during install is they way to go if I don't want to have a damaged inner-tube.

  11. #36
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    5,046
    Quote Originally Posted by 50x25 View Post
    I see carbon every once in awhile when riding around but it could be the Bicycling Mag. guys/gals. It certainly is not 'everybody' in Emmaus PA. With that said I love my Shamal's Except I bought them used locally and they are the 2-way fit version. They are the one of the hardest rims to fit a tire to. I usually put new tires on w/o tubes over night so they stretch a little so I can get them on with tubes and just hands. It took me longer then it should have to realize that no tire irons during install is they way to go if I don't want to have a damaged inner-tube.
    I am not sure the folks at Bicycling Mag even ride bikes

  12. #37
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    152
    I have an aero Felt, With carbon wheels DT Swiss 240 hubs , With the whole package I decimate Most everyone on Downhills. I'm talking about when everybody is tucked in and Coasting. I am one up of the slowest riders on the Saturday morning shop group ride, But get me a little tail wind a little slice of a downgrade And I can catch back up. That being said there is no Better equalizer than saddle time. But I'll still Believe that all of the little improvements add up.

  13. #38
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    133
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
    Well I have 22 gears and electric shifting and I'm slower than when I had 12 gears and downtube friction shifters. Hmm.
    The difference, you got older.

  14. #39
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    133
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    I am from the people should ride whatever they want school of thought. Everyone else should learn to be ok with other people's choices and just enjoy riding their own bike in my opinion. The benefits of carbon wheels, frames, electronic shifting, etc. depend on what your goals and preferences are. If you are a crit racer or time trialist, aero carbon wheels might matter more to you, if you compete in hill climbs or chase KOMs, you might prefer that lightweight frame, etc. It's a subjective thing. Nothing wrong going in either direction. Carry on....

    The New Rules of Cycling: AKA Philuminati – Phil Gaimon
    I'm with you on this. What ever floats your boat. I won't judge people. Do what brings you joy.

  15. #40
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,911
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    Carbon wheels are lighter, thereby making it easier to flip the bike upside down when you have to change a tube.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to jetdog9 again.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein



  16. #41
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,911
    If you carry your wallet on your rides, it makes that lighter too. Win-win!
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein



  17. #42
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,075
    Good morning village idiot.

  18. #43
    Road Warrior
    Reputation: n2deep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    630
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Two wheels and pedals. Anything else is luxury.
    For 99.999% of us, it’s about the looks. If they make you smile, pull out the wallet. Speed is about the motor, not the wheels. We all have the friend that rides on a 90ish steel Bianchi, 7 or 8 speed, old style alloy wheels and kicks arse, definitely proof that you can’t buy performance.

  19. #44
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    1,921
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
    People buy them because they like how they look. Numerous studies have shown from a watts saved per dollar perspective, aero wheels are one of the least effective enhancements cyclists can invest in. IMO, deep section carbon wheels are inferior to low profile alloy wheels in almost every way: they're much more expensive, offer worse braking, are harder to control in cross winds, often ride more harshly and are more prone to failure through delamination.

    Prices are plummeting and performance is getting better, but it remains a fashion thing to me.

    Note: I've owned deep section carbon wheels in the past but went back to low profile alloy wheels.
    Good post Hiro...especially for weekend warrior who doesn't live and die by a handful of grams of aero drag.

  20. #45
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    1,921
    Quote Originally Posted by n2deep View Post
    For 99.999% of us, it’s about the looks. If they make you smile, pull out the wallet. Speed is about the motor, not the wheels. We all have the friend that rides on a 90ish steel Bianchi, 7 or 8 speed, old style alloy wheels and kicks arse, definitely proof that you can’t buy performance.
    True dat. Can't buy game. Doesn't keep fat rich guys from trying however.

  21. #46
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    871
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    I am not sure the folks at Bicycling Mag even ride bikes
    Their advertising head count is much larger than their writer head count.

  22. #47
    Neophyte
    Reputation: jetdog9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,629
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Two wheels and pedals. Anything else is luxury.
    Don't forget, the way that some people claim bike weight the pedals are optional.

  23. #48
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3,494
    Quote Originally Posted by 11spd View Post
    True dat. Can't buy game. Doesn't keep fat rich guys from trying however.
    So true but to clarify...it's fat, rich, old guys. My ride is proof...
    Have we all been Flamboozled ?-img_3305.jpeg

  24. #49
    Road Warrior
    Reputation: n2deep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    630
    Quote Originally Posted by woodys737 View Post
    so true but to clarify...it's fat, rich, old guys. My ride is proof...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3305.jpeg 
Views:	25 
Size:	171.4 KB 
ID:	323401

    + Me Tooooo !!!!

  25. #50
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,450
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Didn't November Dave post here a way back regarding why he quit selling carbon clinchers?
    Because insurance got too expensive. And reverse justification from there.

    FWIW - I have alloy wheels from them. Really happy with the wheel set. I would buy from them again. I recommend their wheel builds.

    But, I found that whole reasoning they put out about why they longer sold their carbon wheels a bit disingenuous. Go read their blogs. It started with insurance getting too expensive.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-14-2011, 12:03 PM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-14-2008, 05:05 AM
  3. Just so you're all clear on what could have been today ....
    By toomanybikes in forum Bikes, Frames and Forks
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-18-2007, 05:47 PM
  4. All this time, and I've been doing it ALL WRONG ...
    By DrRoebuck in forum Racing, Training, Nutrition, Triathlons
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-24-2006, 01:28 PM
  5. What would the world have been like if Gore had been elected.
    By Turtleherder in forum Politics Only
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 10-14-2005, 06:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.