Have you been hit by a car? - Page 2

View Poll Results: Have you been hit by a car?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

40 57.97%
  • No

29 42.03%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Twice. First time I was t boned from my right while in a bike lane. I was going around twenty. She just pulled out in her Audi suv, but gunned it. Landed mostly on my hip and it totaled my bike.

2nd was the ever popular right turn in front of me while in the bike lane. I’ve avoided, at least, 3 of these at other times. This time I did a Sagan and fought him off with my elbow and shoulder while screaming like a woman. Somehow I didn’t go down and he was actually very sorry.

Most woman are dangerous. All girls in their twienties and below are extremely dangerous. Most senior citizens are too.
    BMW and Prius seem the be the most dangerous cars.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    I've only been hit once, but I've always tried to avoid riding with cars as much as possible. All the *******s throwing stuff and trying to run me off the road made me leery. And now, cellphone drivers are making us play roulette. The vast majority of people I know who ride road bikes has been hit at least once, sometimes intentionally. Like, very intentionally, as in followed and run down.

Anyway, mine was minor. I was riding through a strip mall parking lot, parallel to the main road, a short cut to a residential street that led to mine. It was a Sunday, so all of the shops were closed, except for a liquor store. A woman pulled in, headed to the liquor store, 90 degrees from me, not going very fast, a normal parking lot pace. The weird thing was she was looking to her left out the window the entire time, she never looked straight ahead where she was going. I was on her passenger side, approaching, she kept coming, I kept veering off to my right trying to get out of her way, thinking, "she'll see me and stop down any second now...", she kept looking directly left at nothing, the place was empty except for her and me. I ended up on her hood right in front of the store at @ 3 mph. It was bizarre.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    A few times in ten years or so. Once when I was at a 4 way stop, turning left. I was next to another car turning left, one of those boxy scions, I did this figuring of a car ran the stop from our left side they'd have to go through that car to get to me. Hence, in safe. Lesson learned, the Scion slammed the brakes when they saw the car go through the stop, and I wasn't watching that side so they side swiped me. Shook me up, but I wasn't clipped in so I didn't go down. Bike took a tumble. Lesson learned: vision and awareness trump all else!

Next time was a guy short signaled in traffic, and I had a moment to react. In that moment I figured he was turning right at the coming intersection, and there was a ton of traffic so I could slip by him. Turns out there was an open parking spot . I rammed into the hood of his truck and ended up lying in his spot. He was pretty shook up, a Canadian dude visiting on vacation. He acknowledged that he didn't give enough time between blinker and turning, and I said I shouldn't have tried to shoot the gap anyway (another lesson). I put my bike in his truck and had him give me a ride home to make us square.

Finally, I was riding really hard on a Sunday and a Prius passes me then decides to turn right into the parking lot. Classic. Do they turn right into me, I yell and kind of turn into them. I ended up scraping my pedal along their bumper leaving a gash. I never even came off the bike though. So I just looked at their car, too stock of my condition, shook my head at them, and rode away. Their screwed up bumper isn't my problem. It's probably been 6-7 years since I had a run in with a vehicle though

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    I got broadsided in an intersection, the lady claims not to have seen me. Luckily I got my leg out of the way before the impact and somehow I didn't get hurt. My bike wasn't as lucky.
    "The American people elected Donald Trump as the President of the United States, and not Hillary. I don't think the left is taking this loss as well as they could have"...

[REDACTED]
    I've been quite lucky. In 17 years and 30K miles, many near misses, but no hits yet.
    Last edited by Lombard; 01-29-2019 at 01:54 PM.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapei View Post
    Let the game play out. I hope it ends exceedingly well in your favor. The best salve is a full pocketbook.
    No, that is the second best salve. The best is a full recovery.

A slap on the wrist for sure, but at least it was a career ender for a totally careless officer. Why aren't police officers bound by the same hands-free laws that everyone else is?
    Last edited by Lombard; 01-30-2019 at 04:39 AM.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Line of cars stopped at a train crossing, barriers were down and they were all stopped. I was doing maybe 25kph up the inside when a driver decided to turn into a supermarket in front of me. He thought since they were stopped he didn't need to check anything. I hit went over the car hood and bust my finger. Bike was replaced by his insurance, Assessor wasn't happy when he found out how much a Record Super fitted Kestrel was to replace, bike shop owner was very happy. Cops suspended his license 3 months (there was an injury and he was 100% to blame, I asked that he get no punishment)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yep. I've been left-crossed, right-hooked, rear-ended, and sideswiped. No further accidents since going to my lowracers. Maybe being 'invisibly-low" means they can't aim for me. Of the bunch, only the left-cross resulted in any damage to me or my bike. That one bent the frame.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2015
    I didn't just get hit by a car, I got drilled by a car. I got t-boned by a teenage driver going 40mph. I broke my right ankle on both sides, my tibia/fibia/left shoulder. My leg cost 230K to fix and his insurance only covered 50K. I have no memory of the incident, but I am more cautious on the road.

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    In my first couple of years of seriously cycling back in the 70s I used to hug the white line and was sideswiped three times, though I never actually went down. The more experienced riders taught me to ride further out in the lane and that has not happened since.

In '82 my roommate and I were coming in from a training ride when a woman coming the opposite direction made a left turn directly in front of us. He was on the left and was able to go behind her. I only had time to close my eyes as I hit her car between the bumper and the right front wheel, catapulting me into her windshield. When I opened my eyes I was standing on the other side of her car (she stopped and screamed "Oh my god!" for several minutes) looking for my crumpled bike. I got fifty stitches in the face and right shoulder and my bike was destroyed. Her insurance begrudgingly paid all my bills and replaced the bike.

I have not been hit since. Knock wood.
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    I received the door prize once that knocked me onto the curve, but fortunately it was one of those rounded curves, so there was not much damage to the bike, but my hand got jacked up by the door.

I'm Hawk Eye now.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    I got hit by a car riding on a MUT. It's trail that connects two city parks. The trail crossed the driveway entrance/exit to a local soccer/football field. As I approached, a lady in a red prius approached the exit and stopped at the stop sign (I had no traffic control). I slowed as I approached to cross in front of her and made eye contact. SHE LOOKED RIGHT AT ME (apparently not). Just as I crossed her path, she stomped on the gas and punted me about 20 feet out into the middle of the road. Fortunately, I wasn't hit by any crossing traffic. The impact was to my left leg, which mangled my left knee, and I landed hard on my right shoulder. I suffered five fractures. Corocoid, Glenoid, Scapula, Clavicle and 2nd rib. The latter was the most concerning, as it's very close to the heart chamber and there was a lot of potential for further damage. Bike was mangled too. Her insurance covered the property no questions asked (Complete replacement of the BMC GF-01, bibs, jersey, helmet, sunglasses and shoes). Her insurance covered the majority of the medical expenses as well as a settlement.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001
    Yes and by a truck as well while commuting to work. It' a dangerous world out on the road and a "Heads-Up" environment for sure!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I got gently side brushed by a passing car that didn't give me 3 ft. I stayed up & no injuries. I know the big one is coming though.

What amazes me is how often drivers follow & try to hit you after a verbal exchange. "Open your eyes jackass! You almost killed me!" sure seems to enrage them.

wut?
    "Have you been hit by a car?"

Yes, twice. Both times it was clearly the drivers fault.
    There I was...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013

Have you been hit by a car?

Yes. Fortunately it was at low speed.
    A soccer mom, in an urban assault vehicle, pulled away from a stop sign while I was directly in front of her.
    She said she didn’t see me.
    My injuries were limited to scratches and bruises as well as nasty road rash on a brand new Brooks saddle.
    I was quite animated in my displeasure with the situation as she sat in her car screaming “don’t yell at me”.
    Last edited by Bflath; 02-14-2019 at 09:06 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    I've been quite lucky. In 17 years and 30K miles, many near misses, but no hits yet.
    Same here, since '79, somewhere in the low 100K miles, lots of it commuting on roads, a fair amount on MUTs. Couldn't count the near misses, some memorable. All the accidents were on the MUTs with other "cyclists."

Hit a fat lady once in downtown DC trying to cross in gridlock traffic. I was arrogantly going too fast. She didn't spot me coming, fell on the rear wheel, and I went over the bars into the taxi cab fender right ahead. The lady bent the rear wheel slightly out of true and got a freewheel tattoo on her a$$. I wobbled home wounded, noting to watch for pedestrians when streaming effortlessly through gridlock, but laughing out loud.

dcb
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Got a left hook by an older woman who was on her way to the DMV to get her license reinstated. I'm not sure why her license was suspended but I really hope she didn't get it back as I don't think she was able to see very well.

My bike was totaled but I was lucky to get out of it just scraped up and bruised pretty good.

jkc
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Yes. Going through a roundabout and got hit from behind. I had the right of way and verified vehicle, minivan, was still stopped before continuing through the T-intersection. Driver decided to accelerate while I was midway through the roundabout. After collision the minivan almost came to a stop but driver accelerated after I fall in front of the vehicle and took me for a ride. Lower half of my body was stuck between bumper and asphalt. Luckily my rear wheel jammed between the vehicle's axle and driver's front wheel inner wheel well. Think the car I was following stopped, blocking the way. There was a car behind the driver that also blocked the driver in the roundabout. Driver never came to my aid or see how I was doing except just after the first responder arrived (~15-20 minutes). She walked to the road gutter adjacent to where I was (laying in pain ~ 5 feet away in a lawn area) cried out "Oh my god, oh my god" before EMT reached me. Major abrassion just above the butt. Luckily there many bystanders, including a nurse, that came to my aid and provided information to the police.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jkc View Post
    Yes. Going through a roundabout and got hit from behind. I had the right of way and verified vehicle, minivan, was still stopped before continuing through the T-intersection. Driver decided to accelerate while I was midway through the roundabout. After collision the minivan almost came to a stop but driver accelerated after I fall in front of the vehicle and took me for a ride. Lower half of my body was stuck between bumper and asphalt. Luckily my rear wheel jammed between the vehicle's axle and driver's front wheel inner wheel well. Think the car I was following stopped, blocking the way. There was a car behind the driver that also blocked the driver in the roundabout. Driver never came to my aid or see how I was doing except just after the first responder arrived (~15-20 minutes). She walked to the road gutter adjacent to where I was (laying in pain ~ 5 feet away in a lawn area) cried out "Oh my god, oh my god" before EMT reached me. Major abrassion just above the butt. Luckily there many bystanders, including a nurse, that came to my aid and provided information to the police.
    Dude, there ain't much room between a minivan and the road, thank God the driver in front of you stopped. I ain't one for hyperbole but you coulda ended up dead.
    Too old to ride plastic

jkc
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Dude, there ain't much room between a minivan and the road, thank God the driver in front of you stopped. I ain't one for hyperbole but you coulda ended up dead.
    Yes very lucky. If my wheel did not jammed the way it did, the minivan would have ran over me instead of pushing me along.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2014
    I was hit by a 72 year old man, who was driving with his wife. It happened while I was a student in Philly. I was riding my bike on my way to Queen's Village Racquetball Club. We were headed in opposite directions on Chestnut street, and he made a left into the emergency entrance for a local hospital. He T-boned me. I was fine, just some scrapes and bruises. I ended up under his car. It could've been a lot worse. I did get a new bike out of it though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tpcorr View Post
    I was hit by a 72 year old man, who was driving with his wife. It happened while I was a student in Philly. I was riding my bike on my way to Queen's Village Racquetball Club. We were headed in opposite directions on Chestnut street, and he made a left into the emergency entrance for a local hospital. He T-boned me. I was fine, just some scrapes and bruises. I ended up under his car. It could've been a lot worse. I did get a new bike out of it though.
    OMG! If I was the social worker in that ER I would have done a suicide screen for riding on Chestnut St in Philly!
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post
    OMG! If I was the social worker in that ER I would have done a suicide screen for riding on Chestnut St in Philly!
    Good point! I am afraid to drive my car in Center City. I would never even consider riding a bike there

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2014
    The mean streets of Philly are where my wife and I learned all of our bike skills!
    Last edited by tpcorr; 02-19-2019 at 08:06 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast