Have you been hit by a car?

View Poll Results: Have you been hit by a car?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

40 57.97%
  • No

29 42.03%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012

Have you been hit by a car?

If yes, what happened?

I have once. I was in a bike lane and the car turned last second and right hooked me. I felt fortunate to be able to walk / bike away - I just had road rash, a deep elbow scrape, ripped clothes and a broken cell phone.

RoadBikeReview Member
    elderly gentleman who did not believe that bicycles belonged on the road... low/slow impact with me, unscathed, screaming YOU JUST HIT ME as he drove away

your god hates me
    I voted no, even though I once got clipped in the shoulder by the driver's side mirror as dumbass passed me. Didn't go down, didn't get injured, so in the spectrum of possible outcomes I feel like that doesn't even count. My condolances to everyone who votes Yes in this poll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    in 50 years and 100+K miles of riding, been struck by vehicles on 4 occasions...

three were by people failing to stop at controlled intersections and once by a hit/run driver while in a dedicated bike lane.

the h/r produced the most injuries...separated shoulder, broken thumb, severe concussion, multiple lacerations/road rash.

two involved drivers using cell phones and one was caused by a 96-yr old with an expired license. no info on the h/r incident, have no memory of the event, woke up in the ER 5 hrs after the incident occurred talking to an intern and two police officers.

almost had a 5th crash on xmas day this year. even tho roads were deserted, almost got vaporized by a woman in a Prius who blazed thru a yield sign at 45 mph without looking to her left. car passed within 6 inches of my front wheel.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ass ended by drunk, left cross by knuckleheaded teenager and clipped by side view mirror.

I harbor the suspicion that the mirror clip was intentionally meant to crowd me and the clown got closer than he meant. I chased him hard but couldn't catch him which is probably a good thing. He would have ended up in the hospital and I would have ended up in jail.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    elderly gentleman who did not believe that bicycles belonged on the road... low/slow impact with me, unscathed, screaming YOU JUST HIT ME as he drove away
    Did you say "gentleman"?
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I voted no. But one time I was t-boned by an old woman riding her scooter (this was in Asia). I went flying, the bike sustained a broken fork, got some road rash and some muscle bruise, but otherwise glad to be able to walk away. The old woman also went down too and suffered a scrapped up and a bit of a swollen knee, but she was able to stand up rode home. I felt a bit sorry for her too but glad she did not suffer (at least didn't appear to) more damage than her banged up knee. It was fortunate for the both of us that she was going slowly, otherwise I think both of us would have been in worse shape. What happened was that I was making a U-turn and she came up from behind and t-boned me. She wasn't expecting me to make a U. I learned real quick that whenever making a U, be sure to slow down ahead plenty and hand signal excessively!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    I don't suppose this actually counts, as I was but a 10-year-old in third grade pedalling my 20" BMX bike around the neighborhood. My friend's mom called asking where he was, I said I didn't know, so I set off to find him. Like others in this thread, I don't remember anything between then and the next morning. But, I was hit by a drunk guy in the neighborhood. I wound up knocked out in someone's front yard, concussion and the whole bit.
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yes.

Last year I was overtaken by a 75-year-old woman on a curve. I wanted to follow the curve and she wanted to go straight but should have been on my right if she were following the lane. Fortunately, all I had was road rash and some ribs that hurt for a while.

Shortly thereafter I installed a Fly6. I also now have a Fly12.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    "Have you been hit by a car?"

Is this a trick question?

Proud luddite
    Yep. I signaled to make a left turn but the driver tried to pass me just as I started the turn. It was a glancing blow instead of the t-bone that would have happened a fraction of a second later. Broke my collarbone and had hairline fractures of my pelvis as well as road rash. What I remember most clearly was the sheer force of the car hitting me. Anyone who’s been hit knows what that’s like.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2018
    Yes. I was waiting to turn left on a rural road when a cop approaching from the right turned left onto my road. He took his turn too sharply and was also looking down at his phone simultaneously, thereby plowing into me at about 20 mph.

https://youtu.be/QoSOEtzWPlU

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by JW Fas View Post
    Yes. I was waiting to turn left on a rural road when a cop approaching from the right turned left onto my road. He took his turn too sharply and was also looking down at his phone simultaneously, thereby plowing into me at about 20 mph.

Wow, ironically I just saw a clip of your video last week of a compilation video - I forget the title, but was a bunch of close calls with things that could have been much worse.

What was the outcome? Anything happen to the officer? Police department pay you anything for your injuries and bike?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

this is a case where it would have been safer if you ran the stop sign. I always feel like sitting duck when I stop completely at an intersection with my foot unclipped, because if something like this were to happen and I'm not clipped in, well I'm sitting duck, just as you unfortunately demonstrated.

RoadBikeReview Member
    seriously hope you retained a lawyer.

LEO at fault and a video...should have made for a decent payout.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

Devoid of all flim-flam
    I've posted my tale maybe a dozen times, but here it is again. 2012. Hit from behind while riding well within a generously-sized road shoulder while going up Topanga Canyon Blvd above Malibu. Hit and run. Perp never found. Several months in the hospital and in recovery. Traumatic Brain Injury. Residual numbness that bothers me to this day.

And oh yeah. I've also gotten doored.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    Does having a car turn directly in front of your pace line and not being able to avoid impact with the car count??? I sure hope so as I voted "Yes."
    2012 and we are in a single line doing 25ish near the end of our Sunday ride on a 4 lane divided highway. I'm second behind the leader on a TT bike when an older driver turned across our lane into the boulevard entrance to her subdivision. Leader veered left and missed the car, I veered right, locked the brakes and started to slide sideways before I hit the car's rear fender with my front wheel and my left side. Woke up in the rear of an ambulance on the way to the local ER.....luckily nothing broken but the fork on my bike and a cracked helmet. That was my last and only encounter with a car.

Slowski
    In Santiago, Chile around 1998 I was crossing a road at slow speed when a car just rolled up in the intersection and came to a stop just as he ran into my front wheel. No injuries, didn't even get off. Only had a severely tacoed front wheel.

Banned forever.....or not
    Yes. I had some minor damage to my bike, and the teeth on my chainring gave me cuts on my leg, like I was clawed by a lion. After being released from the ER, I managed to negotiate a deal with the woman's insurance company to get a $10,000 settlement. I was off the bike for two days and managed to get an all new group for my bike. (Am I going to Hell??)
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by mtber5 View Post
    What was the outcome? Anything happen to the officer? Police department pay you anything for your injuries and bike?
    The [now former] officer was charged only with Careless and Imprudent Driving, so criminally speaking it will be a slap on the wrist. No hearing date yet.

Civilly, I retained a lawyer a week after this occurred. He specializes in bike incidents. We settled the property damage claim (see my video "New Bike Day"), and we are now starting the medical claim. It's crazy what doctors will charge for little things. My orthopedist wanted $200 to write a letter describing my treatment.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    The [now former] officer was charged only with Careless and Imprudent Driving, so criminally speaking it will be a slap on the wrist. No hearing date yet.

Civilly, I retained a lawyer a week after this occurred. He specializes in bike incidents. We settled the property damage claim (see my video "New Bike Day"), and we are now starting the medical claim. It's crazy what doctors will charge for little things. My orthopedist wanted $200 to write a letter describing my treatment.
    Let the game play out. I hope it ends exceedingly well in your favor. The best salve is a full pocketbook.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

Proud luddite
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY View Post
    Yes. I had some minor damage to my bike, and the teeth on my chainring gave me cuts on my leg, like I was clawed by a lion. After being released from the ER, I managed to negotiate a deal with the woman's insurance company to get a $10,000 settlement. I was off the bike for two days and managed to get an all new group for my bike. (Am I going to Hell??)
    Well if you’re going then I’ll see you there. I was able to use my settlement to pay off our debts, get new windows for the house, buy a new laptop for my wife and buy the Italian dream bike I always wanted 🙂
    Last edited by azpeterb; 01-28-2019 at 03:56 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've been hit twice from behind as they "don't see me" when coming up behind me and are angling over to make a right turn up ahead of me. I've had several other near misses with people pulling out from side streets in front of me.

The last situation finally motivated me to get a quality rear and front light. I only ride in daylight but it was only after getting them that I fully appreciate their worth.

In traffic, I can see the clear difference the front strobe makes in getting the drivers' attention and focusing on me.

The flashing rear brings mental comfort when I make the occasional ride on PCH or in sections of the rim of Palos Verdes Peninsula overlooking the ocean.
    Last edited by GlobalGuy; 01-28-2019 at 07:38 PM.

Banned forever.....or not
    I got all new components and a new concrete driveway and garage floor.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    I've been hit three times; every time I was commuting home from work, it was either dark or raining, and the driver turned across my path.

Fortunately I never suffered severe or lingering injuries, and the driver's insurance always paid my damages. No windfall settlements though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast