Have you crashed on the road bike?

View Poll Results: Have you crashed on the road bike?

Voters
176. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

54 30.68%
  • Yes, once

36 20.45%
  • Yes, 2-5 times

67 38.07%
  • Yes, More than 5 times.

19 10.80%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ultralord

Have you crashed on the road bike?

I often hear that there's two kinds of road bikers, the ones that have crashed and the ones that haven't. Or the ones that have crashed and the ones that are about to.

Have you gone down? Have you gone down many times? Has it changed the way you ride? Was it your fault or someone else caused it? How long did you have to stay off the bike?

francois

Palm trees & sunshine!
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    I often hear that there's two kinds of road bikers, the ones that have crashed and the ones that haven't. Or the ones that have crashed and the ones that are about to.

Have you gone down? Have you gone down many times? Has it changed the way you ride? Was it your fault or someone else caused it? How long did you have to stay off the bike?

francois
    I haven't gone down yet but came close the very first time out on my road bike (coming off of a MTB). I was buring down a hill into a very tight corner (over a bridge) and started breaking WAY too late. I don't know how I stayed upright and pulled through but had I hit the wall I would have gone over onto an interstate. The guys I was with thought I was dead for sure.

I learned about skinny tires real fast that day.

Jan 2003
    goin down a VERY steep cobblestone road, i learned hands should have been on the drops. not on the hoods. OTB. ouch...
    www.flaviocolker.com.br
    i am in love w/a black woman.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003

Yes, going over a bridge earlier this year.

Luckily, just bruise and a dislocated collarbone. 3 of us were on the way home on a Sunday ride when the lead rider stopped unexpectedly to check a broken spoke. The guy I was tailing up the bridge looked up just in time to miss him, I wasn't so lucky. Since then, I have left plenty of room between me and the rider ahead going over that bridge.

More Cowbell!

francois
    Crashed a couple of times ...the scariest was in the sprint finish of a Cat 4/5 race. A guy came right into my handlebars. I took a sharp left turn at about 35 mph. I went over the handlebars and bounced a couple times. I had lots of road rash and a front wheel rebuild but that was it. Lucky.
    Pro rep, yo!

Aug 2003

I hate crashing.

I've crashed twice.

First was in a 4/5 race where I attempted to bunny hop a downed bike and didn't quite make it...got some nice road rash from it.

Second was 4 weeks ago out training when I found some loose gravel in a corner...road rash and a broken arm (2 weeks off the bike, 6 weesk no racing...argh!)

Apr 2004
    I have been lucky, no REAL falls yet. One time I was riding up the sidewalk and went toooo slow. Was bordered by bushes on each side and pretty much fell into the bushes on my back, still clipped in. No pain really but I kind of got stuck. The other time would have hurt, not moving but standing at a stop sign leaning right I made the one second to late realization I was clipped in and yucked up on the bars hoping the bike once or twice back under me. Sounds stupid but at my angle the fall would have broken something.

Kyle

RoadBikeReview Member

A few times...

My first, many years ago, was the result of a big rock (chunk of curb, actually) in the road. My bud didn't point it out and I never saw it coming. Went down like in a heap. Total yardsale in a busy road. Thankfully, nothing broken on me or bike. Just a ton of road rash and a flat tire. I don't remember how much time I spent off the bike. Not too much.

Next, a year and a half ago, I t-boned a car (that blew a stop) and slightly broke my clavicle. Took one day off. Call me Hamilton.

This year, I crashed in a race. Two wheels, helmet destroyed. Thankfully, I landed off the road in the dirt. I rode hard the next day to punish myself crashing. It was my fault as much as anyone else's.
    Pain is weakness leaving the body!!!
    Work to Eat / Eat to Live / Live to Ride / Ride to Work

RoadBikeReview Member

francois
    I have gone down twice.

1st time: I was riding down hill going about 25 MPH. A chevy surburban that was about 10 feet ahead of me decided to make a u turn in my path. I tried braking, but I ran into the side of her car. The driver drove away without checking on me. I had no major damage to my bike and a few cuts on my arms. I continued on with my ride after checking my bike and myself.

2nd time: Our club was doing some paceline work going around 25 MPH and I was 3rd from the front. The guy in front of me braked too hard and my front tire touched his rear tire. I went over my front handlebars and landed on my right shoulder. I remember the moment when I went over my handlebars and saw the pavement rushing towards me. The pain I felt in my shoulder was unbelievable. When I felt the pain, I thought I broke either my collar bone or shoulder. As I was laying on the ground, my upper right side was tingling. Someone told me if I could move my right arm, but I didn't want to, because of the weird feeling. I was lucky that the riders behind me did not run over me and the rider I touched wheels with was able to ride on. I had no idea at the time, but my head actually hit the ground. The helmet saved my head, because there were 2 large cracks on the right side, and I guess my head slid on the pavement because there were scape marks on the helmet. I went to the doctor the next day and I had major road rash and a torn ligament on my shoulder. I was amazed that I didn't break my collarbone the way I landed. My bike was alright- bent right shifter and a dent in my frame when the handlebars hit the top tube of my frame. I was on my bike two days after the accident. I was a little wary being in the paceline, but I regained confidence within a couple of weeks.

Aug 2004

Talking

francois
    Here it goes, i crashed a few months ago taking a turn way 2 fast, of course the death pedals kept me on the bike, and I ate it pretty hard, scrapes and bruises on both leg,arm,and hand. it sucked but what can you do. it def changed the way i rode, now i'm a bit more careful and take the turns a bit slower. i stayed off the bike for a bout 4 days b/c the hip bruise was way 2 painful. about 6 inches in diameter. but there is nothing short of being paralized that would keep me off a bike.

Old and Fixed, Moderator

francois

I've crashed twice. First time was an encounter with a dog about 2 years ago. Bruised ribs and cracked helmet. It couldn't be prevented. The last time was about a month ago. This was my fault. I was looking over my shoulder to turn left and hit a seam in the road. Cracked helmet and road rash. I rode home after both.
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

$4000 bike - two bit legs

Scars, scars, scars...

I answered >5 times.

Hmmm....several of the simple sliding out in a corner variety. Left lots of skin on the road. Three times in the last year - though I hit mud in one as I flew off the road. The worst was hitting a dog at 35+mph....seperated shoulder, bruised kidneys, damaged sciatic nerve, $400 damage to bike, off the bike for 7 weeks.

Last week I did an endo in front of my 12 year old daugher while we were mountain biking. I came up laughing, she was relieved. My 5 year old son wiped out on his bike last week and got a nasty bit of road rash on his hip. He was proud becuase he was going to have a big scar like his daddy. That's my boy!!
    Paul in Northern Kentucky

Across the mighty Ohio from Cincinnati:
    The Obesity Capital of the USA
    (Explains a lot of the intolerance about us riders, huh?)

check out the podium

300 m from home...

francois
    Yup. Once. Nope, weel, I don't go by that house w/out the water bottle ready to squirt. Not my fault, it was the dog's fault. Only for as long as I was yelling at the owner.
    http://legolord.blogspot.com/

early registration is worth hundreds of hours of training

-avatar photo courtesy of hup united

chica cyclista
    Feb 2004

more than 10 years racing =

> 5 crashes. 13 years of road racing, 7 years of MTB racing and 6 seasons of competitive cyclocross, along with countless thousands of miles of training, noodling and just plain fooling around whilst riding adds up to a fair bit of dirt and pavement-surfing.

I've been hit twice by cars, neither time was my fault. All 3 times I've broken bones cycling were entirely my fault. Other than that, unless the circumstances were unusual I can barely recall what caused most of them. I won a crit once after going down in a pileup, and that wreck removed quite a bit of skin (along with an impressive amount of skinsuit fabric) so although I seriously dislike and tend to actively avoid falling down, it doesn't tend to adversely affect me psychologically.

My most recent crash was when I hit an unmarked ditch and endoed hard in the first lap of a 'cross race last fall. That one was definitely my fault for getting to the venue late and not pre-riding an unfamiliar course. It netted me a pretty good whiplash, a mild concussion and a lurid set of bruises which impressed my boyfriend. When I landed, I heard every vertebrae in my neck and upper back "pop". My helmet was toast. I shook it off and finished, but I could barely get out of bed the next morning. It took me a week to be able to turn my head properly.
    Grandpa LFR: "Kid, don't wrestle with pigs; you'll just get covered in crap, and the pig enjoys it."

/Grandpa LFR

go up
    Two times. First one, I was hit by a dog missle. Not much damage to the human parts but my new bike had a nice dent in the top tube 30 miles into its life. Second time, I may have been going a little too fast making a turn. Lost a lot of skin, shredded a new pair of shorts and my favorite jersey, trashed the saddle, seatpost and computer, cosmetic damage to the levers and got to sit in a nice ambulance for a while. Rode home though.
    deadlegs

I've breathed the mountain air, man. (J. Cash)

It's a long way to the top
    . . . if you wanna rock and roll (ac/dc)

Apr 2000

Only one "proper" crash (so far)

Tried taking a turn way too fast, leaning much too far into it, and I lost traction--skidded for 25-30 feet on my left side, protecting the bike, never once thought about unclipping, not that it would have done the slightest bit of good. Ground up my leg, hip, torso and arm, without putting a mark on the clothes I was wearing (how the hell does that happen, anyway?). What a delightful experience that was, cleaning those wounds. All the bike suffered was some shredded bar tape.

I can't even count all the times I did the slo-mo tip-over crowd-pleaser after stopping (intentionally or otherwise) and forgetting to click out in time. At least nothing gets bruised but my ego.

Windrider (Stubborn)

3 times......

francois

1.) Seagull Century, on the back end of a long paceline at about 25, Lead rider forced to slow rapidly, entire line accordianed......I overlapped the wheel in front and went down, slid about 30 yards......Road rash extreme. Finished the century.

2.) Brain Fa$t going around a corner not paying attention and did an artie Johnson sliding on gravel...No biggie.

3.) 22 MPH on the shoulder of a flat raod. Sept 21, 2002. Approaching a blind driveway just as a 70 year old is backing up the driveway. He sees me, panics, and instead of hitting the brake he mashes the gas. First time I see him, he is 1 ft in front of my front wheel. It happened so fast that even with my hands on the hoods, I never got my fingers to the brake levers......Crunch. Hit him broadside of the back door.....slammed up against the car breaking my collarbone in two places and breaking 2 ribs......flew up in the air after bouncing off the car and came down from about 6 feet flat on my butt......giving me a severe compression fracture in my lower back. I instantly knew I was very seriously injured. Off the bike for 3 months, fault was entirly his........The worst part about it was that there was nothing different I could have done to change the outcome (short of being on a different road or leaving sooner or later). When I forst got back on the bike, it took me as long to get comfortable and relaxed again as it did to get back into shape. The last sound I heard before the accident was the crunch of tires on crushed gravel........that sound still makes me hypervigilant.

All that said, I was damn lucky.......I wasn't that far from being killed.

Len

"Evil....is the complete lack of Empathy!"

""We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. " Aristotle

No one is as bad as the worst thing they have done & no one is as good as the best thing they have done.........think of that when you feel like you understand someone.

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment

Riding and crashing hard since 1969.

I can no longer clearly remember all the miles or all the crashes. Just about the time I get overconfident about not crashing-BAM-down I go.

Must be getting old.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

Cipo's long lost cousin

hit the tarmac a few times

2001 - Sideswiped by a car pulling into the right hand shoulder to turn (didn't see me). Result? Broken ribs.

2002 - Commuting on black ice in the middle of winter in Chicago. Both wheels just slipped out. Result? Broken ribs.

BUT compared to the number of crashes I've had mountain bike riding, road bike riding seems downright safe ;)
    "Cycling is like a church - many attend, but few understand." -- Jim Burlant

jrm
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001

Yeah well...

francois
    In the instances were i went down it was my fault for using the bike on terrain its not made for. My crashes have been minor enough were i wasnt really hurt.

Skinny Legged XC MTB geek

Hah, got you thinking, eh?

francois
    You must be due for one, Francois. Here's an Irish blessing from me and my ancestors to you on this fine day:

May the road rise to meet you.*
    May the wind be always at your back.
    May the sun shine warm upon your face.
    And rains fall soft upon your fields.
    And until we meet again,
    May God hold you in the hollow of His hand.

*Not all of a sudden!

when is it obsession?

don't ride drunk...

about 20 years ago, I was riding home from a keg party... I caught my front week in a storm drain... the bike stopped moving but I kept going and going and going. I broke my collarbone (never quite healed correctly..still bothers me)...

thank God I quit drinking! Any friends of Bill W here?

big bob
    "Oz was wrong: a heart should be judged by how much one loves...not by how much one is loved by others..."

Cannot bench own weight
    Twice on a road bike. First time was actually my first ride on a road bike. I tried to turn into a parking lot, and realized I wasn't going to make the full turn because going too fast. I didn't have clipless at that point, so I was able to do some sort of wierd bunny / hop jump thing and managed to save the bike.

Since it was during the early summer, the ground was nice and soft too. No rash or damage done to anything. Scared the **** out of me though.

The second time I wrecked was about a year ago. Came around a corner after a rain. I knew it would be slippery so I was going about 12 mph. Front wheel slipped out from under me and I hit the ground so fast that my hands were still on the hoods. Since the ground was wet and slightly muddy, I had no real road rash. However, the bike wasn't so lucky. The left shifter was scratched and bent, and the rear wheel was out of true and flat (it had slid into the curb).

Now mountain biking...i've crashed so many times I lost count. I wrecked twice last Saturday in fact. I've dislocated my left elbow and right knee on separate occasions.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I was a bike messenger for 4 years, so yes I have crashed. Many times. Too many to recall. Some were my fault and some were not. Never a serious injury, just normal road rash and bruises. I had one crash in a race that I have no idea how it happened. I might have caught a groove in tha pavement but I am not sure. It's been at least 10 years since my last crash and hopefully the next one will be uneventful as well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    If you race, you crash.
    My "Big Crash" -- details other than these unimportant; 28 mph; cracked helmet; frame was toast, lots of skin lost from right elbow, some from knee, bloody nose (from helmet smashing into glasses into nose).
    My wife stamped her foot and demanded to know what I had learned "about a man your age [45] and your responsibilities [two kids, wife, job] BICYCLE RACING????!!!"
    My honest, earnest reply, "Well, I learned that I can go down at 28 mph, wreck my bike, and still be pretty okay."
    This proved not to be the correct answer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast