Have you ever thought of giving up the road bike? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I live within a mile from Oneill Park, so I understand your sentiment. I frequent Harding Truck Trail up to Santiago Peak and then bomb down the mountain. I do both MTB and road. Being fortunate to live in Socal allows me to do both year round.

I have been doing road biking for almost 4 years. I hear about accidents involving cars and bicycles every now and then, so I am extra vigilant when I ride on the road. I used to wear headphones when I ride, but no longer. I try not to ride on roads without bike lanes and during the night. I think it all about minimizing your chances of getting hit by a car by being selective in choose where and when you ride.

No, I have never thought of hanging my bikes up and call it a day, unless I can no longer ride.
    2013 Giant Anthem Advanced X29.

2008 Look 585 - Great Bike!

2010 Lynskey R230 - Comfortable!

2015 Giant Defy Advanced SL 0.

PhotonFreak
    Quote Originally Posted by GearDaddy View Post
    What I think is bad about mirrors is that you don't move your head and look. IMO, drivers will react to the motions you make when on the bike. If they see you turn and look back to the left or right, then the drivers are more apt to think you are going to move to the left or right, or you simply acknowledge that you are aware of the driver. Someone wearing a mirror may appear to drivers to swerve unexpectedly off their line because they are NOT showing any indication of their intentions.

Turning, looking, making eye contact is good communication to others on the road and makes for safer riding.
    I always actually look and make eye contact before actually making a move like a lane change or turn, or if I suspect an "interaction" with a car is possible such as negotiating right-of-way at an intersection of driveway.

I use mirros on the bike the same way I do when driving. That is I always actually look/check all blind spots and signal when making moves. With the mirror though I can more easily do quick occasional glances to see what's behind me, and possibly alert me of something behind me before it gets to within audible range.

In some cases though, such as merging left to make a left turn, when I was constantly looking over my shoulder to look for gaps in the traffic, some drivers would misinterpret that as if I was going to dart out in front of them and cut them off, so they would slow way down and cover their brakes rather than passing by me -- which actually made it harder to get a clear opening to move to the left lane.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    I am a destiny person, when the man upstairs pulls my number, no matter what I am doing it is going to happen. Could be a car, could be a bus, could be that green ice falling from the sky, a heart attack, or who knows. I enjoy riding, and would rather be doing something I enjoy than something I wished I had enjoyed in the finals moments.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bike981 View Post
    I'm not sure how you define "blow your numbers out of the water." The data on that site fail to indicate the *rate* at which bicyclists are injured -- injuries/fatalities per mile and/or per riding hour. Just stating stuff like "The number of bicycle accident injuries increased in 2010 to 1,474" (as an actual example) is useless as a means to gauge the risk.

Also, it's on the website of a personal injury attorney, so there's at least some interest in presenting the data in an alarming manner.
    Is Cycling Dangerous? -- The Risk of Bicycle Use -- Accidents, Fatalities, Injuries, and Benefits

I like the fatalities per million hours based on activity - Living is 1.53, cycling is 0.26. Living is 6 times more deadly per hour than biking!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    Have not stopped riding but ride less - primary exercise is running - will see what happens as weather warms up. A bad crash where I broke lots of stuff changed my riding. Running is safer from a crash perspective - don't want to go through breaking stuff again. I think I will bike as a recovery/break from running. We will see. Used to hate running - things change.

PhotonFreak
    Quote Originally Posted by Vayinafash View Post
    Have not stopped riding but ride less - primary exercise is running - will see what happens as weather warms up. A bad crash where I broke lots of stuff changed my riding. Running is safer from a crash perspective - don't want to go through breaking stuff again. I think I will bike as a recovery/break from running. We will see. Used to hate running - things change.
    I used to be a runner primarily. I'd bike for transit but not for sport/recreation. Ironically what changed that for me was actually a bike crash -- I was running late for a meeting and ended up going for an all-out "yellow light sprint" into a left turn. As I reached the apex of the turn I realized the intersection was totally filled with a thin layer of sand and both my wheels slid out from under me. Ended up bruising my left heel pretty badly when that slammed into the road, and was unable to run for a couple weeks, but I could actually still pedal completely pain free. Ended up cycling to keep my fitness up and didn't go back to running after my foot recovered.

I'm looking to start running again a bit more though, mostly as I can get a quality workout in a lot less time on weekday mornings. Less prep time required before getting out the door, and less risk of unanticipated delays like flat tires.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tystevens View Post
    Wow, T-point to Hogle and back is a pretty good ride, especially being in the city most of the way! How long does that take you?

I live in South Jordan and work in Holladay. I have a variety of commuting routes to eliminate boredom, but mostly either: 1) Jordan River Pkwy MUT to 4800 S, then up to Holladay; 2) 1300 W to Vine (by the hospital) then up to Holladay, or 3) 9800 S. to 700 E, then down to Van Winkle. All are either not very busy roads, MUT, or large roads w/ excellent shoulders. I actually really like roads like 700 E (south of about 5600) or Redwood (south of 90th), even though they are busy, because the bike lanes are really wide and there isn't a lot of people turning onto the roads except at lights. My 'fun' rides are usually around parts of the South Valley (12600 So up to Highland and around to 146 So., the U-111 loop, or Redwood to Saratoga Springs).

It seems that the farther north in the valley you go, the worse the roads become for riding, with the exception of Wasatch/Emigration Cyn area I suppose. If I worked much further north than I do (~4800 So), I probably wouldn't ride to work.
    I love riding on Redwood as well for the reasons you stated...the biggest being that there aren't a lot of people turning on/off the road everywhere.

My ride up to the zoo varies. I always either go over Suncrest then down to the Bangerter/Highland intersection (gas station) or over the point on the Frontage and Road then head up to the gas station. From there I take Highland to 13th, up to 12300 then up to Wasatch Boulevard and take that all the way to where I cross over I-80, then I follow the Bonneville Shoreline up through Bonneville Golf Course and on to the zoo. Going over Suncrest adds about 35 minutes to the ride, but round trip it takes between 4 & 5 hours depending if I include the big climb over Suncrest and how the wind is =)

I'm sure I see you on the road...it sounds like we ride in the same areas. This Saturday I'm riding West out to Five Mile Pass. I'm the only guy in town with a "yellow Jersey yellow" S-Works Tarmac SL3....pretty easy to spot. My buddy Allen lives near you and makes that same route. Tall guy that had a Roubaix and now has a Fezzari...is he in your group?

PMC
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    As someone who has been drilled by cars multiple times it takes time to get back on it and not feel like everyone is bering down on you.
    having someone pull out in front or blast by only to cut you off to make that right hand turn 4 seconds sooner doesn't freak me out even though I've broken bones having that happen. I think it's because you can see it coming.
    What still freaks me out some is getting popped from behind when you don't see or hear it coming. The worst part is with more and more drivers over 65 there are that many more who shouldn't be driving but still do.

So would I give it up - yeah and I have... But I always come back after a break. If you've spent the better part of your life as a roadie or road racer/rider chances are you'll be back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bike981 View Post
    I'm not sure how you define "blow your numbers out of the water." The data on that site fail to indicate the *rate* at which bicyclists are injured -- injuries/fatalities per mile and/or per riding hour. Just stating stuff like "The number of bicycle accident injuries increased in 2010 to 1,474" (as an actual example) is useless as a means to gauge the risk.

Also, it's on the website of a personal injury attorney, so there's at least some interest in presenting the data in an alarming manner.
    True and agreed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    National & Pennsylvania Bicycle Accident Statistics[/QUOTE]

I read this article but I must warn you that the author, Edgar Snyder, is a local ambulance chaser that makes a fortune on personal injury law. He also has commmercials on TV about dog bites, worker's comp, etc.

His slogan "there's no fee unless we get money for you." If he does, he gets a big fat check.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by trip221 View Post
    Here in southern California it seems like people are getting critically injured or killed by cars left and right, at least once a month. I doesnít matter if itís an area with bad roads and no shoulder or a new community with wide bike lanes. Itís distracted drivers. Hell, even the local MUT isnít safe with recent muggings and bike thefts. So as much as I love solo rides Iím only doing group rides now. And my extra cautious wife is paranoid every time I go out.

Has anyone else thought of giving up the road bike entirely? I love mountain biking too, and at least with that I feel that most of the burden of safety is on my own shoulders (except a possible mountain lion attack). But at least there wonít be any run-ins with cars. I still donít think I could hang up the road bike for good, but it is something I think about on a weekly basis.
    I stopped riding for about a year after i saw a friend get hit by a car.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    Keep your head on a swivel and expect the cars to do the unexpected and you should be fine. Be aware of your surroundings at all times.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 55x11 View Post
    Is Cycling Dangerous? -- The Risk of Bicycle Use -- Accidents, Fatalities, Injuries, and Benefits

I like the fatalities per million hours based on activity - Living is 1.53, cycling is 0.26. Living is 6 times more deadly per hour than biking!

There you have it! I don't live to cycle; I cycle to live!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    deleted
    Last edited by freighttraininguphill; 11-25-2018 at 10:38 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    I prefer road riding as opposed to trail because the ambulance can usually reach you more quickly. If you get hurt out in the woods time is often not on you're side.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by potholered70 View Post
    I prefer road riding as opposed to trail because the ambulance can usually reach you more quickly. If you get hurt out in the woods time is often not on you're side.

PhotonFreak
    Quote Originally Posted by potholered70 View Post
    best compromise in this front, IMO, is fire roads near town -- no traffic normally, and in the unlikely event there is a debilitating crash, fire dept/parametics should have an unobstructed road to reach me

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclin Dan View Post
    I'm sure I see you on the road...it sounds like we ride in the same areas. This Saturday I'm riding West out to Five Mile Pass. I'm the only guy in town with a "yellow Jersey yellow" S-Works Tarmac SL3....pretty easy to spot. My buddy Allen lives near you and makes that same route. Tall guy that had a Roubaix and now has a Fezzari...is he in your group?
    Yeah, I'm out there, although less often in the last several months -- I've been riding the mtb a lot more when I have the chance for a fun ride lately. I've actually been heading down your way to the Eagle Mtn bike park several times over the last couple months -- it has been snow free until recently, and I've been having a good time playing around on their DH trails and obstacles.

Although, I'm a fairly nondescript heavy guy on a white and blue aluminum bike, so I blend in with all the other riders heading up and down Redwood pretty well! No, I don't ride with any group or club or anything, just a couple neighbors on occasion when our schedules align.
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

'11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails

banned
    Jul 2011
    For 30 seconds when my doc suggested that after a crash and concussion.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Ok letís up this 2012 topic a bit. Jesus..I was still married with my first wife back then...lol.

Yes I thought of it and iím doing it. After having been almost hit from behind in December ( the driver veered off road and totaled his car to avoid me ) it took me 4 months of riding to realize the fun of it was totally lost. I used to look forward to go ride but each and every ride for the past 4 months has been some sort of keep looking at the garmin to check how long I still had to go before returning to the car. I have a 3 years old boy now,and back in 2012 social apps were not the thing yet,nowadays people just drive with both hands at 12 oíclock on the wheel while holding their phones. Thereís one lucky guy in this world that will get a brand new Colnago C64 at a very good price,in the mean time the guy writing this is choosing his gravel bike..

RoadBikeReview Member
    after being hit 4 times by autos, I'm still down to ride on the road. it's just part of who I am.

had facial surgery 5 days ago and was told to avoid exercise for two weeks...got in 30 miles today.

possibly not the smartest move, but it was a beautiful day and sitting on the couch was simply not an option.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    If I lived somewhere where the mountain biking was primo and highly varied, and available from my doorstep, I would stop riding the road bike, YES.

I think it is an easy bet than Mathieu Van der poel, Peter Sagan, Chris Froome, Ryder Hesjedal and Cadel Evans would not have bothered taking up road racing if they could have made half as much money just doing XC racing. With the caveat being road riding/racing is often an important part of XC racer's training.
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

What the what???
    I've had a few close calls, but no accidents yet. I haven't thought of giving up the road but do ride on it less than I used to. I am fortunate that a move last year put me about a mile and a half from a really nice MUT system where on some days I can ride for miles without every seeing another soul.
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy... wait.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Devastazione View Post
    Ok letís up this 2012 topic a bit. Jesus..I was still married with my first wife back then...lol.

Yes I thought of it and iím doing it. After having been almost hit from behind in December ( the driver veered off road and totaled his car to avoid me ) it took me 4 months of riding to realize the fun of it was totally lost. I used to look forward to go ride but each and every ride for the past 4 months has been some sort of keep looking at the garmin to check how long I still had to go before returning to the car. I have a 3 years old boy now,and back in 2012 social apps were not the thing yet,nowadays people just drive with both hands at 12 oíclock on the wheel while holding their phones. Thereís one lucky guy in this world that will get a brand new Colnago C64 at a very good price,in the mean time the guy writing this is choosing his gravel bike..
    What size is that Colnago?
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post
    What size is that Colnago?
    54s

Colnago C64 Record 12v | BDC-Mag.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast