Have you ever thought of giving up the road bike? - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    [REDACTED]
    I've been pretty lucky so far. Either that or maybe it's just that I try to reduce the odds of being hit by choosing lesser traveled safer roads and being super attentive. I've had plenty of close calls, most of which involved cars turning in front of me.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Devastazione View Post
    Ok let’s up this 2012 topic a bit. Jesus..I was still married with my first wife back then...lol.

Yes I thought of it and i’m doing it. After having been almost hit from behind in December ( the driver veered off road and totaled his car to avoid me ) it took me 4 months of riding to realize the fun of it was totally lost. I used to look forward to go ride but each and every ride for the past 4 months has been some sort of keep looking at the garmin to check how long I still had to go before returning to the car. I have a 3 years old boy now,and back in 2012 social apps were not the thing yet,nowadays people just drive with both hands at 12 o’clock on the wheel while holding their phones. There’s one lucky guy in this world that will get a brand new Colnago C64 at a very good price,in the mean time the guy writing this is choosing his gravel bike..
    What size is your C-64? Please tell me its art decor.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    What size is your C-64? Please tell me its art decor.
    Size 54s,color is PKRD ( red and black)

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Devastazione View Post
    Size 54s,color is PKRD ( red and black)
    Oh well ... I think 52S is my size (equivalent to 56cm traditional geometry I believe). I like the blue one, but the paint jobs just aren't cool like the older C-40's were.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    I have been hit twice. Both times the drivers fault. 1st time I was fairly seriously injured and received an appropriate settlement. 2nd time, I was uninjured (was grazed by someone passing me inside a "Sharrow" lane), and the driver drove off.

I rarely ride on the road any more. If I do, it's just to get from one trail to the next. I'm fortunate to live in an area with a lot of rail trails within a short ride of my home. I can literally do a 150 mile out and back mixed surface rail trail/fire road ride, with only the first two miles being a neighborhood bike lane to get to the trailhead.

I do own 'road' bikes, but the only 'skinny tires only' bike I own (mechanical rim brakes with 28mm max tire clearance) rarely gets ridden any more. I'm always on 35c or larger, and doing mixed surface rides where there is very little or no exposure to cars.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    Do you know how many people die in traffic accidents in the U.S. on an average day? Around a hundred. How many of those are on bicycles? one or two. In the whole country. And probably half of those are kids, riding with far less attention and skill than you.
    Do you know the amount of cars on the road daily vs bikes? Of course more people die in car accidents.

I moved to SoCal 18 months ago. Last week within a six day time frame 2 of my friends were hit by a car on separate rides. Both of them were in the bike lane and it was unavailable. One has a broken hip and the other cuts and bruises. Both bikes trashed.

Also within those 18 months there has been at least 7 deaths of cyclist within a 45 mile radius from my house. The majority of them the cyclist was in the bike lane and not one time was the cyclist at fault.
    SoCal is not the safest place to ride!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smokersteve View Post
    Do you know the amount of cars on the road daily vs bikes? Of course more people die in car accidents.

I moved to SoCal 18 months ago. Last week within a six day time frame 2 of my friends were hit by a car on separate rides. Both of them were in the bike lane and it was unavailable. One has a broken hip and the other cuts and bruises. Both bikes trashed.

Also within those 18 months there has been at least 7 deaths of cyclist within a 45 mile radius from my house. The majority of them the cyclist was in the bike lane and not one time was the cyclist at fault.
    So, the way a data set works? LA may be an outlier. But the data is being reported from varied sources, ERs, EMTs, victims... It has a huge effect on our perception. Outlier concentrations are common.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by smokersteve View Post

The safest places in Socal is Irvine to South OC and into North of San Diego.
    Any dense urban area north of Irvine and into LA County is a.... death trap.

The local mountain roads of Socal are also relatively safe, eg: GMR, Baldy Road, Crystal Lake (hwy 39), Angeles Crest Hwy (hwy 2), Calabassas area, Hwy 38 in San Bernadino.

Stay away from dense metro areas and you'll stand a good chance of surviving. Socal is a big place so you have plenty of options.

in 2018, 26 cyclists were killed in LA County with a population of over 10 million people.
    Last edited by aclinjury; 05-13-2019 at 10:18 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post

in 2018, 26 cyclists were killed in LA County with a population of over 10 million people.

I'd like to see the seriously injuried ones stats. Because if I have could pick between getting killed or being crippled for life in a wheelchair probably I would pick the first one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    No I Haven't.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    The local mountain roads of Socal are also relatively safe, eg: GMR, Baldy Road, Crystal Lake (hwy 39), Angeles Crest Hwy (hwy 2), Calabassas area, Hwy 38 in San Bernadino.
    Yeah, if climbing is no problem for you than mountains are great. Where I live the hills above Santa Monica, Bel Air, Malibu are awesome. Virtually no cars, peace and quiet, good roads, lots of nature with frequently great elevated views of the ocean.

Also near the coast, Santa Monica, Marina Del Rey, Torrance, Redondo and Hermosa Beach, and Palos Verdes...much of it with bike paths along the ocean or when on the road the drivers are bike friendly experienced drivers. (Bikes are so common everyone is used to dealing with each other and people that live on or near the beach tend to be laid back.) The one exception is near the the Santa Monica Pier. Too much vehicle and foot traffic at the immediate area most of whom are out of town tourists, (clueless.)

Unfortunately, my power to weight ratio has dropped to very low due to circumstances that I have no control over so I have pretty much had to forgo the canyons. I no longer can ride with an effort that is comfortable and allows me to relax and enjoy the environment. The only climbing I do is one particular Cat 3 5 mile canyon where I always try to ride it as fast as possible. Good training. (Almost 300 rides up it in the past four or five years.)

Addendum: About six-months ago I finally added a rear and front quality light and I noticed it really makes a big difference in people seeing me and that makes things a lot safer in traffic.
    Last edited by GlobalGuy; 05-16-2019 at 06:22 PM.

Rub it............
    I gave up the road bike about 8 years ago because I was mountain biking quite a bit. Sold my road bike for a SS. But back in 2014, bought a new road bike. Been riding road more nowadays because it helps my mountain biking. Great cross training.
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2016
    Every time I ride on the road I think about giving it up. So many car drivers around here that don't care about anyone but themselves. It's only a matter of time before I get hit. So far I haven't given it up though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by GlobalGuy View Post
    Addendum: About six-months ago I finally added a rear and front quality light and I noticed it really makes a big difference in people seeing me and that makes things a lot safer in traffic.
    ^This^ I'm a huge believer, and I preach it like I'm a Jehovah's Witness. I do think I get more leeway from motorists with my lights, and it changes their behavior for the better of my welfare.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GlobalGuy View Post

I've been using a high output rear light for years now. It does make a difference, I can hear cars behind my slowing down a lot,but that did not make any difference for my episode back in december. Also consider that today DUIs are a 24 hrs deal,along with stupid texting and stupid social sharing.
    A lot of cyclists are totally sold on the Garmin Varia too, I guess they think it's funny to see cars approacching on their devices, but can they tell wich one will be the one hitting them? Totally rip off device, a very strong dailylight is way cheaper..

Funnily enough I came accross this yesterday. It's Australia but I guess it goes for pretty much all over the planet :

https://road.cc/content/news/260746-...injured-riders
    Last edited by Devastazione; 05-17-2019 at 03:58 AM.

Banned forever.....or not
    Living in fear is not living.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    … none of us are getting outta here alive.

Most posters here still have enuff prime left to think they have prime left. You might knee Grim in the gnads a few times, and you may laff a few times, but in the end...

[REDACTED]
    That which does not kill me, postpones the inevitable.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234