Headlight Options with Very Specific Requirements
    Witty custom user title

Headlight Options with Very Specific Requirements

Most of my riding, at least during the week, is at o'dark thirty so I rely on a good headlight. I recently have tired of my Exposure Joystick that has very less than desirable mounting options which is kind of killing it for me. I'm ready for a change/update.

So here's what I'm after:

- In the 1000 lumen neighborhood

- Should be able to last 1.5-2 hours on high setting so I don't have to revert to a lower output because the battery sucks

- Easy to reach button/controls while hanging under my computer so I can adjust light output if I feel like it

- Must be mountable under my K-Edge mount via the Go-Pro style prongs. Easy removal is VERY important to me...and hey, I like mounts.

- Smart features would be cool I guess but not necessarily required

I've been reading on the Garmin UT800, but being a Garmin there are some complaints. Super short battery life on high (true?), wonky smart features (reverting to daytime flash mode when passing under a streetlight, etc) That said, if you have the UT800 and dig it, I'd like to hear that too.

RoadBikeReview Member

a vote for Bontrager ION RT

I cycled through some lights so feel I can take a stab at this, since you soliciting comments.

I owned a few Cygolites for their hot swap battery capabilities which as you can imagine significant extended my strike range at night. I'm anxious enough at my resting state, no need to be at the state line midnight with a battery that's crapping out. Those batteries diminished in power over time and I picked up Bontrager ION light.

The ION PRO RT is compatible with a few different mounting brackets and I believe at least some are compatible with remote controls (""Connect with Garmin and Bontrager ANT+ devices for always on, battery status, and control") https://www.trekbicyclesuperstore.co...SABEgLx4PD_BwE

The ION also includes a rear Flare R light and two two work in tandem with remote, IIRC. https://www.trekbicyclesuperstore.co...SABEgJd4fD_BwE

Battery specs on the ION RT are 1300LM-1.5hrs, 800LM-3hrs, 400LM-6hrs, night flash-26hrs, day flash 22hrs. As you can see you an ride in 800lm mode and burst to 1K in the darkest sections, which is what I do.

What I like about the ION - aside from its good looks, secure mounting, and compact metal case - are the side amber lights which make me more visible to perpendicular traffic in urban settings. The Rear flare R light also has side amber flashers. It's a nice combo, check it out.
    "That pretty much sums it up. I'm 43 and my max is ~178-180. If that HR chart was mine or Froome's, we'd be on the verge of death. But for you it probably looks like a normal workout." -TLG

LOLOLOL

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Niterider Lumina with your choice of lumens and AliExpress adapter mount to GoPro prongs.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Bike...27c24c4deMdE4i

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    I use Light and Motion Urban Lights. They have the GoPro mount that can be used with K-edge. They also have a fast charge version of this light, too. I have the GoPro and helmet mount for my set of lights. I mount the light, along with my computer using This Mount

Check out the specs on the light:

https://www.lightandmotion.com/shop/...ing/urban-1000
    Last edited by Methodical; 05-09-2019 at 03:23 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I use this and very happy with it - I have the version with the bigger battery so I can run about 4 hours on high. It lights up the road about as well as an automobile. https://cygolite.com/product/tridenx-1300-osp/
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    This and a roll of duct tape

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    This and a roll of duct tape
    At that point, pros just use lasers. Even comes with yoke and mounting:

https://phantomdynamics.com/kvant-sp...jector-system/
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    I'll cast another vote for the Bontrager ION/Flare set. They are really good lights. They meet all of your requirements.

For me, the only downsides are that the front light is a little on the heavy side, and they are not exactly cheap.

They are built like a tank though, and have excellent battery life.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    My Exposure Strada 1200 w/gopro mount:

RoadBikeReview Member
    I just bought my second CygoLite - first one lasted 5 years. Actually, it just needed a battery... which cost 1/2 that of a new light. Any light that works with a GoPro mount/adapter will work.

I ride in the dark for 90 minutes or so, 3 days/week. On the weekend, I use the same light - in the strobe mode - for 3+ hours.

https://www.amazon.com/Cygolite-Metr...gateway&sr=8-3

Screen Shot 2019-05-10 at 8.19.08 AM.jpg

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    I just bought my second CygoLite - first one lasted 5 years. Actually, it just needed a battery... which cost 1/2 that of a new light. Any light that works with a GoPro mount/adapter will work.

I ride in the dark for 90 minutes or so, 3 days/week. On the weekend, I use the same light - in the strobe mode - for 3+ hours.

https://www.amazon.com/Cygolite-Metr...gateway&sr=8-3

Screen Shot 2019-05-10 at 8.19.08 AM.jpg
    I love my Cycolite EXCEPT that I find it frustrating that I can't get the swivel mount to sit still in one direction. I tighten the phillips screw underneath and it behaves for awhile, then loosens again.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    I tighten the phillips screw underneath and it behaves for awhile, then loosens again.
    had the same problem, blue loctite fixed it
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    had the same problem, blue loctite fixed it
    Will have to try that.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by colnagoG60 View Post
    My Exposure Strada 1200 w/gopro mount:

Could you provide info on the GP mount and arm that you used and where you purchased? Never seen the GP mount for an Exposure Lights before.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    I ordered the mount from Exposure directly:

https://exposurelights.com/products/...camera-bracket

...bought the arm kit because the Strada didn't have the clearance that I'd like under the Garmin mount I'm using. I have a 100mm stem, but a longer stem (120mm) may not have the same issue. With my setup, I can see the Strada's display through the Garmin mount arms. However with the arm kit, I had to sandpaper down the mount point on the arms, and or the gopro mount which installs on the computer mount, as the fit was a bit tight for some connections...don't remember which ones.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by colnagoG60 View Post
    I ordered the mount from Exposure directly:

https://exposurelights.com/products/...camera-bracket

...bought the arm kit because the Strada didn't have the clearance that I'd like under the Garmin mount I'm using. I have a 100mm stem, but a longer stem (120mm) may not have the same issue. With my setup, I can see the Strada's display through the Garmin mount arms. However with the arm kit, I had to sandpaper down the mount point on the arms, and or the gopro mount which installs on the computer mount, as the fit was a bit tight for some connections...don't remember which ones.

Awesome, thanks for the response! I bought the Stem Fit Mount and have a similar problem when using the Strada upside down (interferes with the stem). Expensive little buggers when shipped to USA.
    The Exposure Lights are superb though, so it's worth the mounting hassle to me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 9W9W View Post
    I cycled through some lights so feel I can take a stab at this, since you soliciting comments.

I owned a few Cygolites for their hot swap battery capabilities which as you can imagine significant extended my strike range at night. I'm anxious enough at my resting state, no need to be at the state line midnight with a battery that's crapping out. Those batteries diminished in power over time and I picked up Bontrager ION light.

The ION PRO RT is compatible with a few different mounting brackets and I believe at least some are compatible with remote controls (""Connect with Garmin and Bontrager ANT+ devices for always on, battery status, and control") https://www.trekbicyclesuperstore.co...SABEgLx4PD_BwE

The ION also includes a rear Flare R light and two two work in tandem with remote, IIRC. https://www.trekbicyclesuperstore.co...SABEgJd4fD_BwE

Battery specs on the ION RT are 1300LM-1.5hrs, 800LM-3hrs, 400LM-6hrs, night flash-26hrs, day flash 22hrs. As you can see you an ride in 800lm mode and burst to 1K in the darkest sections, which is what I do.

What I like about the ION - aside from its good looks, secure mounting, and compact metal case - are the side amber lights which make me more visible to perpendicular traffic in urban settings. The Rear flare R light also has side amber flashers. It's a nice combo, check it out.
    I wonder if a person could plug in an external battery to charge that while it's in use? Sounds nice, but the battery life would be a bit to short for me.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett