Headset - Is this acceptable on a brand new bike? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    All the photos showing "acceptable" headset gaps show the head tube sticking up a little proud of the top tube. The OP's head tube kinda dips down below the top of the top tube so there's no way to close that gap without the headset dust cover interfering with the top tube. It's as if the frame/head tube was deformed.

And, yes, when I saw that some trim molding on my new car didn't line up correctly, it went back to the dealer.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    Absolutely. Trash.

Structural failures occur at the weakest spots. With the amazing number of shocks and torsional flex the headset has to handle, the head tube should be stout, top to bottom.
    Well... no. The top of the headset isn't nearly as critical as the bottom. It's significantly isolated from stresses.
    And "torsional flex"... dunno where you made up that engineering term. Perhaps you just mean Torsion. Which is the twisting of an object. However that's irrelevant to the headset. Twisting of the steerer tube wouldn't put stress on the headset.
    I believe what you're looking for is the cantilever bending moment. As shown in the pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    That diagram is all messed up, it should be say... green on the front, blue in the middle and red on the rear. .... get your crayons right!
    BANNED

[REDACTED]
    Specialized:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Showed the photos to my lbs and they agreed it wasn’t acceptable and started the warranty claim process. We’ll see what happens.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Yes, when in doubt...FVCK specialized.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    Anyone who tells you to "just ride it" is a damn fool.

This is an integrated headset. A bearing dropped into a carbon fiber head tube with a ​carbon fiber integrated bearing cup. That means that this bearing needs to have a positive seat in the frame, with maximum contact between the outer race and the frame. Clearly, this is not what you have. You have an area in the frame that was under built, and does not support the bearing as it should. Is it enough to make a difference in the longevity of the frame? Probably not. I don't know. Do you? Are you willing to bet your hard-earned money on it?

Second: you have a frame that was clearly not built to specification. It would be one thing if it were a decal misplaced or a small chip in the frame. But this is a head tube that is missing some carbon fiber! That alone warrants an exchange.

You paid for a frame built to spec. Not a frame with a malformed head tube. Exchange it. Let Specialized know that sloppy work is not acceptable. Not to you. And not to anyone else.

Remember: manufacturers will try to cut corners and get away with whatever we let them get away with. It's human nature. Demand more. Demand what you paid for, at very least: a properly built frame.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdlbb View Post
    Showed the photos to my lbs and they agreed it wasn’t acceptable and started the warranty claim process. We’ll see what happens.
    Glad you went to the shop. You shouldn't have to demand or fight for this. I'd imagine they'll replace the frame and won't make it hard on you. I'm surprised that made it through QC.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Well... no. The top of the headset isn't nearly as critical as the bottom. It's significantly isolated from stresses.
    And "torsional flex"... dunno where you made up that engineering term. Perhaps you just mean Torsion. Which is the twisting of an object. However that's irrelevant to the headset. Twisting of the steerer tube wouldn't put stress on the headset.
    I believe what you're looking for is the cantilever bending moment. As shown in the pic.
    Great graphic! I knew I'd get in trouble!

Have worn out a couple and seen many lower headset bearing races get dented by the balls and stresses from the fork, but never top bearings. The graphic shows how it is. Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    This looks like a feature one would typically find on a counterfeit.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Waspinator View Post
    Anyone who tells you to "just ride it" is a damn fool.
    Opinions are like doctors, every butt crack has one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Never ever should your bearing be exposed like that. Best of luck with your warranty claim. I'm sure they will replace with little to no hassle.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdlbb View Post
    No, I’m not losing races because of it. But say you bought a brand new expensive car and when you picked it up the seam where the hood meets the front quarter panels wasn’t flush like it’s supposed to be. Say the hood sat proud about a half inch. Is that keeping you from driving to work? No. Does it look like it’s supposed to? No. Do cyclist care more than we should about shallow aesthetics? YES.
    The first thing I would not have done was tore it apart - hopefully you didn't void any warranty. Are those scuff marks on the frame or is that the angle of light making it look like scuff marks? I would not be happy with that either. That is a lot of money for it to look like some crap - massed produced or not. My ride costs much less than that and it's tight in that area.

This, and costs, are reasons I will build my next bike.
    Last edited by Methodical; 01-25-2019 at 02:38 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
    ...I agree that it looks lousy but I don't think you're going to get anywhere with a claim.
    But, it's worth a try. The squeaky wheel always gets oiled.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    Visual aesthetics count... at least at first.
    All the time for me. It has to stay clean and shiny, like my vehicles.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12