Hello

Thread: Hello

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2014

Hello

My name is Brian, I just signed up and want to introduce myself. I am somewhat new to cycling,this season (if it ever gets here) will be my second season cycling. I enjoy both road cycling and off road mountain biking. I participate in 3-4triathlons/duathlons per year and very much enjoy competing.
    That being said, I am ready to cross over into the clip-less pedal world. I bought a new pair of carbon shimano PD-5700-c 105. I thought perfect I have my shoes, pedals, and cleats I'm ready to go out and ride... Then I found a pair of shimano ultegra (silver in color) on Craigslist for $30. So I bought them because it seemed like a deal I couldn't pass up!
    My question is, do I keep the 105's or return them and use the used ultegras?? Not sure....
    Any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!
    Brian

A wheelist
    Feb 2004
    In use, you'll never be able to tell whether you're using 105 or Ultegra. So keep the ones you have the least money tied up in. But then the 105 will have new cleats. Me, I'd be keeping both sets. I've got lots of pedals around here.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2014
    Thanks, you can never have too may spare parts!

A wheelist
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bweigand View Post
    Thanks, you can never have too may spare parts!
    If you're in the sport long enough you will have drawers full of them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hmmm. Just beware you don't fall into the trap of getting too hung up on acquiring things (bikes, parts, clothes). Deciding that a pair of used pedals on Craigslist was a deal you couldn't pass up (when you'd just bought pedals!) is kind of a danger sign.

IMHO. Others think that's a perfectly acceptable trap to fall into. Dif'rent strokes.

Welcome to the forum.
    "None of us knows for sure what's out there; that's why we keep looking. Keep your faith; travel hopefully. The universe will surprise you, constantly." The 13th Doctor.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2014
    Thanks for your thoughts. I'm thinking the "used" pedals I bought will go on my other bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have yet to hear: 'You can never have too many pedals" (unlike wheels).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks for your thoughts. I'm thinking the "used" pedals I bought will go on my other bike.
    Ah, you have another bike that could use them. That's an entirely different situation. You jumped on a good deal. Carry on.
    "None of us knows for sure what's out there; that's why we keep looking. Keep your faith; travel hopefully. The universe will surprise you, constantly." The 13th Doctor.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2014
    Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    My name is Brian, I just signed up and want to introduce myself. I am somewhat new to cycling,this season (if it ever gets here) will be my second season cycling. I enjoy both road cycling and off road mountain biking. I participate in 3-4triathlons/duathlons per year and very much enjoy competing.
    That being said, I am ready to cross over into the clip-less pedal world. I bought a new pair of carbon shimano PD-5700-c 105. I thought perfect I have my shoes, pedals, and cleats I'm ready to go out and ride... Then I found a pair of shimano ultegra (silver in color) on Craigslist for $30. So I bought them because it seemed like a deal I couldn't pass up!
    My question is, do I keep the 105's or return them and use the used ultegras?? Not sure....
    Any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!
    Brian
    Welcome to the forum Brian! You must be a really fit guy to participate in 3-4triathlons/duathlons per year, congrats!

To answer your question, I would keep both sets. You never know which one you are gonna end up using.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The optimal solution to addressing your excess pedal problem would be to get another bike to put them on.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    you are over thinking the situation... just put a set on and go ride.
    Welcome to the forum.