Hello - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by f_murray View Post
    Wow, what a nice community...not. I simply joined, posted hello, and a picture of my bike.

Not nice at all.

And btw, it's my current bike. Other bikes include a Giant TCR Zero with Dura Ace and an old school Miele steel bike with Campy.
    Do you have a flaming red skinsuit that matches your flaming red bike? and matching shoes and helmet? With horns?
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

[REDACTED]
    Steel Miele (Burgundy colour) with 8 Speed Campy. Selle Italia saddle, carbon fiber seat post. Shimano WH-540 wheels with Eclypse tires. Was my Ex-Race bike, turned into my winter bike once fenders were added.
    You mean these:

https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3522159/

Shimano WH-R540 wheelset - £55 | Retrobike

I can't say I've ever seen rims with spoke holes placed that way. I saw that and I'm like - WTF!
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2019
    Yup. Mine are all silver, but those are the wheels.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Do you have a flaming red skinsuit that matches your flaming red bike? and matching shoes and helmet? With horns?
    You need meds. Have you ever raced or been on a Team / Club? Get a life loser.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Wow, 5 posts and you're already posting ad hominems against people. I predict that you'll become REALLY popular here...

I WAS sorry if my post about your ridiculous-looking bike was offensive to you, but now I'm not.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well look at that, you are fitting right in already! So, are you saying that bike is team issue?
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2019
    Wow, 5 posts and you're already posting ad hominems against people. I predict that you'll become REALLY popular here...

I WAS sorry if my post about your ridiculous-looking bike was offensive to you, but now I'm not.
    Honestly, if you are going to post something that is supposed to be funny, add a smiley face, otherwise you come across as a dick.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    It's Olde Skool Knee-Mutilator Gearing, to be sure.

But I hereby vow that the day I can't push a 53-12 to 85 RPM (on a downhill, of course ) will be the day I stop using 53-12.
    You just have to do it right. "Keep an even strain" as we used to say going 40 rpm up that hill. Strength training! . My knees are fine afer 35 years riding a 42-22, and hey, I can spin, too.

Your freewheel looks like 13-19! Awesome!

Russian Troll Farmer
    Honestly, if you are going to post something that is supposed to be funny, add a smiley face, otherwise you come across as a dick.

RoadBikeReview Member
    hold your calls, we have a winner for this month's Matchey-Matchey contest.

srsly, lose the stupid red tires.

signed, just another dick who doesn't use emojis...
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Please let us know how to respond and what makes your new poster self comfortable. Some of us have been here for a while, it’s nice to be told what and how to participate by a new member,,, I always look for new posters that direct orders toward veterans. You look like an idiot to me. I’ll bet you can find someone who can paint that seat post and stem, hell, maybe even that groupo red?
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    You mean these:

https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3522159/

Shimano WH-R540 wheelset - £55 | Retrobike

I can't say I've ever seen rims with spoke holes placed that way. I saw that and I'm like - WTF!
    The spoke nipples are at the hub end. The bend at the hub is the place where spokes break, so the inscrutable minds at Shimano strengthened that point. Have to wonder why it didn't catch on. I think they were really hard to true.

Go pink, yeah. Remember Jan Ulrich winning races for Telecom on a pink Cannondale? Shop buddy had one. He used to rag out the club riders. Had a gorgeous girl friend. Chicks dig pink.

BTW, SPIKE, you weren't 23 when you got into RBR, you were 53!
    Last edited by Fredrico; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:54 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Aside from the sock puppet suspicions, you guys need to chill out. This site needs support and cooperation and I repeatedly see newcomers bashed unmercilessly because they're not up to the nuances of our road bike site.

Quote Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post
    Welcome to RBR f_ m, lets get started on the right RBR foot... that bike is awful looking. Tires and bar tape should match saddle... Tires should always be black.
    O, OK, if I’m not offending an actual bike owner, that is the butt ugliest bike ever. Hideous. It’s only saving grace is that is that the essential core of its hideousness is that it’s red. REALLY, REALLY RED!
    Post #3 immediately criticizes the appearance of OP's bike. And again has to criticize the looks of the bike again in post #18.

Wow, newbie suggested adding an emoji for context so you rip him. And I think I failed to paste your question about him wearing a bodysuit to match his bike.

Please let us know how to respond and what makes your new poster self comfortable. Some of us have been here for a while, it’s nice to be told what and how to participate by a new member,,, I always look for new posters that direct orders toward veterans. You look like an idiot to me. I’ll bet you can find someone who can paint that seat post and stem, hell, maybe even that groupo red?
    I think he's taken the higher road with his responses than you have.

There were similar responses in the other 'Hello thanks for welcoming me thread'. OP criticized for the position of the hoods. Who knows, guy may have had two bone fusions in his wrist and that setup suits his needs. This OP has given some additional comments that seem reasonable. Who knows, they may each put in 5k miles each year. I learned long ago to never judge someone by their looks or the equipment they ride. Quit making these snap judgements based on one picture they post or one comment they make. And don't expect them to immediately conform to your standards.

[REDACTED]
    You need meds.
    We've been telling him that for a long time, but he doesn't listen.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by ogre View Post
    Aside from the sock puppet suspicions, you guys need to chill out. This site needs support and cooperation and I repeatedly see newcomers bashed unmercilessly because they're not up to the nuances of our road bike site.

Post #3 immediately criticizes the appearance of OP's bike. And again has to criticize the looks of the bike again in post #18.

Wow, newbie suggested adding an emoji for context so you rip him. And I think I failed to paste your question about him wearing a bodysuit to match his bike.

I think he's taken the higher road with his responses than you have.

There were similar responses in the other 'Hello thanks for welcoming me thread'. OP criticized for the position of the hoods. Who knows, guy may have had two bone fusions in his wrist and that setup suits his needs. This OP has given some additional comments that seem reasonable. Who knows, they may each put in 5k miles each year. I learned long ago to never judge someone by their looks or the equipment they ride. Quit making these snap judgements based on one picture they post or one comment they make. And don't expect them to immediately conform to your standards.
    ^^^This.^^^

It appears this happens a lot here. A bunch of "old veterans" who are insecure about themselves get into alpha-male mode when a newcomer appears who doesn't immediately conform to the standard road bike elitist image. FAIL.

PBL450, I once thought you were a nice guy, but you have taken a turn for the dark side. Sad.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ogre again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2019
    While I may be new to this forum, am not new to Road cycling / racing. I've been riding for more than 20 years, have been a founding member of a racing club, and continue to ride to this day.

I find it interesting that many of you "veterans" as so unwelcoming to a new forum member.

For those of you "bashing" the look of my bike:
    1) Post a photo of your bike and I'll rip it apart for you for good measure.
    2) Grab your bike and let's see who finishes a 126 kilometer ride first and fastest.

For the res of you members who were welcoming, thank you!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011

Russian Troll Farmer
    ...... You look like an idiot to me....
    I dunno, I was thinking more of a doosh. I would've thought perhaps a poseur, but all his gorilla-like chest-thumping about being an hors catagorie racer might be true...

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    You just have to do it right. "Keep an even strain" as we used to say going 40 rpm up that hill. Strength training! . My knees are fine afer 35 years riding a 42-22, and hey, I can spin, too.

Your freewheel looks like 13-19! Awesome!
    12-23 (Maybe 21. I have to go look at it.)

Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    BTW, SPIKE, you weren't 23 when you got into RBR, you were 53!
    See what this place has done to me? I can't even get my numbers straight.

Neophyte
    I'll take full responsibility for casting the sock puppet suspicion on this one and apologies for it. It's easy to be cynical with this forum's participation where it's at while other cycling forums continue to flourish. The mods know why or blindly deny it, and it's NOT the users...

Despite the issues here it's still the best forum for actual cycling topics and info when they actually come up so it's the only one I use. And if you think people are snarky or over-sensitive here, it's no better anywhere else.

Just don't talk about disc brakes or suggest that compact cracks are unnecessary...
    Last edited by jetdog9; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:32 PM.

Proud luddite
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    Just don't talk about disc brakes or suggest that compact cracks are unnecessary...
    Compact cracks are not only unnecessary, but they are downright inconvenient when it's time for a massive BM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    while other cycling forums continue to flourish.
    I remember someone posting about the slowdown of cycling forums all over the place due to other social media taking over, no?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    I remember someone posting about the slowdown of cycling forums all over the place due to other social media taking over, no?
    That's no doubt true. But RBR is the only forum I've found that actually has lots of give and take. Problems brought up almost always get solved. Haven't found this degree of responsiveness on facebook or other cycling forums.

The insults troll participants to talk back, after the issue at hand is resolved, usually. A little jabbing in the ribs is ok in my book, as long as everybody is friendly-like and the questions get answered.

[REDACTED]
    For the rest of you members who were welcoming, thank you!
    You're welcome. As a friend of mine once said "a-holes are sprinkled evenly across the face of the earth". The internet is no exception except that anonymity means people will say things they won't say to your face.

There are all types here. Some are friendly. Some are grumpy and curmudgeony, but otherwise very helpful (CXWrench). Some are just downright mean spirited with not much useful to contribute (I'm talking about you, No Time Toulouse; PBL450, you've taken a turn for the dark side). And some are funny and witty, but their dry humor can be taken the wrong way (SPIKE has caused me to clean coffee off my laptop a number of times after reading his posts! Horses with neckties do that!).

As the saying goes, the fleas come with the dog. Take the bad with the good, ask questions, stand your ground to a degree. One bit of advice to you is when you call people out, refrain from using words like d!ck to describe another poster which could get you banned if the mods ever find it. Yes, I know, insulting someone's bike isn't nice - especially calling someone's bike "butt ugly". If it offends you, you can always report the post.

flinty-eyed moderator

Moderators Note

Yeah, this is not a great idea. You need to calibrate your sarcasm detector a bit.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast