helmet help, ( pain in neck due to helmet)
    Have any Grey Poupon????
    May 2010

helmet help, ( pain in neck due to helmet)

I need a little assistance. I have a Giro Hex helmet. I have used it for about a year riding MTB with it and it works fine. However i have now made the switch to roadie and the helmet is starting to cause a little pain. The rear retention system deal seems to kinda dig in and cause the back of my head and neck to hurt when i ride extended periods crouched on the road bike.
    I have loosened it up but then it slides around on my head.
    I want to buy a new helmet for Road and i'll keep the hex for the mtb, but i was wondering if anyone has ever experienced this or knows how i may fix it.

I am about 5'8, 225pounds with a really big head and short neck.haha. I was hoping to find a helmet with retention system that doesn't hang so low. Any help is greatly appreciated.

My LBS is pretty small and doesn't have much to offer as far as helmets, and i dont really want a $20 academy helmet, i guess i'll spend up to around $100 on a new helmet.
    Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself- William Faulkner

Road: 2019 Giant TCR Advanced
    MTB: 2019 Giant Fathom

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    Giro Prolight. Its your best bet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2008
    I have a Hex and admittedly have not had this problem (though perhaps my head/neck proportions are a bit different from yours ;) ). I have also purchased a different helmet for road riding, mainly out of vanity (camo pattern+visor+3k carbon wonderbike=fred-like ;) )

The Hex is designed for extra rear coverage, so I suspect any more standard road bike helmet will alleviate the problem of the retention system being too low and cutting into your neck. Personally I went to a Specialized brand helmet, but Giro makes some nice road helmets in your price range as well if you are happy with the fit (even though I love the fit of my Hex I wasn't so happy with how Giro's road helmets fit me, YMMV)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    If you're referring to the Roc Loc device which is irritating your head, then you might want to try what I did:
    Modified Helmet Retention Device

I cut the Roc Loc device inside the helmet using a razor blade, then over lapped the ends 1cm and glued them together with Super Glue. It was a definite improvement. This is the second helmet I've done this to and I've not yet had a failure.