Helmet strap tightness: Just right?
    Born from Jorts®

Question Helmet strap tightness: Just right?

I see lots of different strap configs on the Pros and on my group rides. What's ideal?

Too tight and I get headaches, but may be safer.
    Just snug uunder my chin feels ok
    Hanging under my chin feels the best but will the helmet pop off if I wreck?

here's some self-portraits to illustrate, in order of lose to tight:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Helmet strap tightness: Just right?-1.jpg   Helmet strap tightness: Just right?-3.jpg   Helmet strap tightness: Just right?-2.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    My strap falls between pic 1 and 3, tight enough to keep helmet on and securely placed but also the strap does not move and irritate skin (taught = comfortable for me).

Ultimately, the key is to ensure the helmet functions as intended (i.e., protect skull from impact) and I suggest ensuring the strap is place accordingly.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    PIC #1 - You will have head injury from a fall
    PIC #3 - You will have head injury from asphyxiation

PIC #2 - Correct
    Anything can be done to you that you can not prevent.

Lemur-ing
    Mine's kinda like in picture 1.

The ears sometimes get a the straps rubbing on em but not really a problem plus, i'm too lazy to re-adjust it.
    Quote Originally Posted by tconrady
    If I can get some more tomorrow.... I thought it'd grow on me but I'm not feelin' it....wait..
    Allez United!

Glory, Glory Man United, and the Reds go marching on!

S2H
    wut?
    Quote Originally Posted by uzziefly
    plus, i'm too lazy to re-adjust it.
    So you're just motivated enough to put it on, but not enough to adjust it properly?

Rollin' Stones

Fit.

As with all bicycle issues it's about FIT. You must make sure your helmet has good FIT. If it's too loose of FIT then, the helmet is about as usefull as S2H in a legal situation when Halo is around. If it's way too tight of FIT then it's like an un-named board moderator here who keeps us abreast of current events. You want the FIT to be just right. Not too loosey goosey, not to overpowering chokey. FIT is crucial.
    I want rustlers, cutthroats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con-men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull-dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, sh**-kickers, and Methodists!

Resident Dutchbag
    Is that pre-ride tightness? My head tends to swell up (I think) making the straps feel tighter as my ride progresses. I'd say #1 is pre-ride and #3 is late-during or post-ride.
    Originally posted by thatsmybush:
    I can only speak for my self, but if Fergie wanted to rub her lovely lady lumps on me, I could play the role of "human stripper pole."

had it in the ear before
    tie a turnacit around ur neck

jk hehe srry brah for the 'nuking'
    you might as well have gone to Taco Bell and had a Zima while dropping a blotter and snorting Tabasco. OMFG. ~ttug

Goodbye, Pork Pie Hat
    This whole thread was uncalled for.

I have children you know.
    hang out in Podium Girls - the desperation there is way funny - terry b
    I don't get either but that is irrelevant to the comedic impact and it's resulting effect on the male centric hegemony contained therein... - svendo
    when I was a n00b there were no message boards to clutter up with trolling posts. I had to do it the hard way....standing at the mall making fun of people loudly - Platy
    ...in short, antonio_b ... it's time to embrace your inner Travis Bickle - spirito

Go Blue
    Mine usually looks like the first picture. But, when it is hot and I sweat, the straps expand. I always adjust the roc-loc on my Giro Atmos to make sure that the interior fit is snug. When I feel the straps waving in the breeze, I know that it is time to tighten the straps.

My guess is that the tighter the straps are, the better (so long as you are not choking). When I was hit by a car in 2005, my helmet, with my head inside of it, hit the road and cracked inside just like it is supposed to do. Although I had a broken tooth, my head was OK. So, the helmet worked at least once when my helmet straps were about as loose as the ones in your first picture.
    I try to be perfectly civil, until someone really pisses me off.

RoadBikeReview Member
    When you see people like the middle picture, do you say something?
    DFL>DNF>DNS ™

By the time you get home you won't remember why you didn't want to get off the couch.
    ---Val Garou

Lemur-ing
    Quote Originally Posted by FishrCutB8
    When you see people like the middle picture, do you say something?
    I say, WTF??

You needz to shave..
    If I can get some more tomorrow.... I thought it'd grow on me but I'm not feelin' it....wait..
    Allez United!

Lemur-ing
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty2Hotty
    So you're just motivated enough to put it on, but not enough to adjust it properly?
    Err... It fits well. Just that when I ride, the straps sometimes stick to my ears and after a while, they get a tad uncomfy. But I keep adjusting it during a ride so it's all good.

Plus, some pro riders have their helmets like mine so it has to be good.

You not gonna sue me now are you?
    Allez United!

Not dead yet...
    Open your mouth all the way. You should feel your helmet snug down on your head and not feel like you're choking yourself. That's a minimum tightness. Some like it tighter. The comment about the Roc-Loc or similar system being tight is also very important, maybe even more than the chin strap.
    Live fast, die old.

Lemur-ing
    Quote Originally Posted by rogger
    Is that pre-ride tightness? My head tends to swell up (I think) making the straps feel tighter as my ride progresses. I'd say #1 is pre-ride and #3 is late-during or post-ride.
    You need to get yer head checked...
    Allez United!

i like whiskey
    You need to try and get the little plastic things to touch. Only then will your helmet be properly tight and safe. Of course you'll have to cut the excess off the straps to keep them from flopping around and possibly blinding you. Safety first.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Helmet strap tightness: Just right?-2.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    I think you should worry less about your helmet and worry more about how to wave....
    DFL>DNF>DNS ™

By the time you get home you won't remember why you didn't want to get off the couch.
    ---Val Garou

had it in the ear before
    but what's your avg mph?
    you might as well have gone to Taco Bell and had a Zima while dropping a blotter and snorting Tabasco. OMFG. ~ttug

RoadBikeReview Member
    Looks like this thread is deteriorating fast, so before it goes flat:

I like to have my strap feel snug when my head is down, chin close to the neck. This would make the strap very comfortable when the head is up (as it would be when you ride you bike).
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    KHS Team 29
    KHS CX 550 Cross
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

Seat's not level
    I recently saw a kids helmet with a ratchet system similar to sidi shoe straps for closure and adjustment. Just can't remember where I saw it. It seemed like a good idea for kids, and would be nice on adult helmets to adjust the sweat stretch during rides.
    • This forum requires that you wait 2 days between posts. Please try again in 17 hours.

imbasilical moreon
    Quote Originally Posted by rogger

...swelling head and constricting straps...is that c0d3...sounds like one of your s&m experiences in amsterdam...

"Totally INTP"

al0
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Something in between 1 and 3, slightly nearer to 3. BTW, user guide coming with helmet (at least with the most of them) has quite good explanation how tight straps shall be. To put it short as tight as possible without harming you.

Windrider (Stubborn)
    Tighten it until your eyes begin to bulge.

Then loosen a little bit....now you have it.....until your head swells from all that female attention....then......

yer on yer own.

Len

BTW 1 is where I wear mine.

"Evil....is the complete lack of Empathy!"

""We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. " Aristotle

No one is as bad as the worst thing they have done & no one is as good as the best thing they have done.........think of that when you feel like you understand someone.

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    I don't wear a helmet, as I think they look stoopid. Then I died when I hit a pebble going 5 mph, so I started wearing one again.

Uzzie ... I LOVE your Avatar (not c()de).
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut

All I wanted was a Pepsi!
    Quote Originally Posted by DrRoebuck
    I don't wear a helmet, as I think they look stoopid...
    Exactly. Plus the straps always get in the way of my ipod ear buds. I gotta have my DKs for intervals, yo.
    "If you have the guts to be yourself, other people'll pay your price." - Rabbit Angstrom