Helmets - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Helmets

Masters Neophyte
    There are times it would be nice to have a visor, but as has been noted, it does interfere w/ vision if you're in the drops. With a cap you can just flip up the brim.
    Never had a problem w/ airflow, but on super-hot days I don't wear cap, only in the rain and/or cold.
    Capt Willard: "Every minute I stay in this room, I get weaker, and every minute Charlie squats in the bush, he gets stronger."

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    When I started road cycling I bought a helmet with a visor because I figured even if it didn't help much with the sun if wouldn't hurt anything.
    What I neglected to factor in was that when doing 45 miles per hour tucked down a hill it's kind of nice to be able to see where you're going. I took it off and threw it in a trash can at the bottom of Kinsman's notch following the first time I ever did a screaming fast descent.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Use mtn bike helmet for both. Remove visor when road riding. Thinking of getting road specific helmet. Something that breathes a little more since I sweat like Patrick Ewing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I didn't know there was a difference between MTB and Road Bike helmets. As long as we're not lncluding full face helmets.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by brizco View Post
    Do u guys wear mtn helmets on your road bike?
    Hate me if you must, but I don't let my road bike wear a helmet. I wear helmets on my head.
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2013 Specialized Tricross Comp disc
    2011 Trek Top Fuel 9.9 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    I started with a mtn helmet because that is what I first rode. I just finally purchased a road helmet because my mtn helmet had horrible ventilation.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Same here Trey, what helmet did you end up buying?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludicrous speed View Post
    Same here Trey, what helmet did you end up buying?
    I ended up getting the Bell Ghisallo. I did not want to spend $100+ and it fits great.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Cool, thanks for the reply.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by brizco View Post
    Do u guys wear mtn helmets on your roadbike ? Some guy said it helps when u forgot yoursunglasses . Just wondering if anyone here does the same?
    I suppose that I'm not placing my opinions correctly since they seem to start endless arguments instead of discussions.

I road raced motorcycles semi-pro for several years. And I was a pro mechanic in flat tracking for awhile. One day my sponsor and I were sitting in his office and he had a heart attack and died. Racing motorcycles lost its glamour. But the American Federation of Motorcyclists asked me to be the Safety Director so I accepted. I went down to Bell and they explained their business and I then studied the problem and wrote a paper on it. It is still floating around on the web.

It said that helmets will not "save your life" except in extremely rare and unusual instances. What they will do however, is prevent you from relatively minor injuries in the overwhemingly common bicycle accidents - non-impact fall-offs. Therefore I do recommend them if they do not make you feel overconfident.

The major causes of fatal injuries are not broken skulls which the helmets are designed to protect you from, but from great bodily harm. If a car is going 25 mph and hits you, you will be very lucky to live through it and your helmet will provide no protection whatsoever. Or so minor as to be negligible.

However, recently Trek/Bontrager have come out with a new 3D printed cushion layer that appears to be a giant leap forward. Rather than Styrofoam that is too hard to prevent concussions, the Bontrager helmet is designed to collapse at a rate short of that which causes concussions.

Initially the claim was that it was 28 times more effective but that appears to have been updated to 48 times more effective. Since I have suffered a severe concussion and I have to take medications for the rest of my life to prevent seizures, this naturally interested me and I bought one. And after about 1,500 miles I encountered a reasonable test. I was riding along a road that had large trees that impinged upon not just the bicycle lane but over the entire right traffic lane. The foliage was very heavy but I was simply ducking under most of it. Suddenly at about 12 mph I struck a limb hidden in the foliage that was perhaps 4" in diameter and low enough for my 6'4" body to reach even in a semi-tuck. It brought me to a complete halt and with a large pain in my head. Quite worried I sat there for a couple of minutes but that was all it was. No seizures and no fainting spells.

So I can report now that I have a great deal less confidence that a helmet may not save your life. I most heartily suggest that you buy only Bontrager helmets unless and until other brands use this technology.
    Last edited by Tom Kunich; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:38 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    Lately I haven't been wearing a helmet, on or off the road.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12