Helmets
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Helmets

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012

Helmets

Do u guys wear mtn helmets on your roadbike ? Some guy said it helps when u forgot yoursunglasses . Just wondering if anyone here does the same?

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Quote Originally Posted by brizco View Post
    Do u guys wear mtn helmets on your roadbike ? Some guy said it helps when u forgot yoursunglasses . Just wondering if anyone here does the same?
    I do the other way around. Road helmet on the mountain bike.

Uh, no visors here.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    I did for about the first week of switching from mt bike to road bike.

I Love PAIN
    Use whatever works for you. For me riding in my aerobars with MTB helmet would be disastrous. So I switched over to a road helmet.

But if it's a bunch thing, definitely rock the mtb helmet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    If I'm going out early in the morning, when the sun is very low, I really like having the visor on. The issue with the visor is, if you want to tuck in, it will block your view of the road.
    ---
    Trek Domane 5.2
    Cannondale Rush SL

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I ride both road and MTB. I wear a "MTB" helmet and the visor is removeable.
    I rarely put it on. Never on the road. Sometimes on the trail. Most of my MTB riding is in woods and a visor serves no purpose.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Get yourself a cycling cap make sure it matches your team kit and look euro pro. Keep the visor in the woods hippy.

Comment above image was a joke. Please no Roadie Vs MTB stuff, just laugh at it cause you know it is true.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by QuattroCreep View Post
    Get yourself a cycling cap make sure it matches your team kit and look euro pro. Keep the visor in the woods hippy.

Comment above image was a joke. Please no Roadie Vs MTB stuff, just laugh at it cause you know it is true.
    This cap with the road helmet is the dorkiest thing about road biking in my opinion. It's funny enough we wear spandex and funky colors. Add this set up and it's, it's, it's just, well, not for me.

I have read the rules, and ignore or go out of my way to break them. Rules are meant to be broken just like KOMs on Strava

By the way, I did try the cap and road helmet thing. It totally messed up the air flow in my helmet I paid all the good money for. I wear the spandex and colors because of their function. One has to be seen on the road and pedaling at 35+ mph in baggies just gets you an air enema.

I do an mtb helmet with a detachable visor. It's a Specialized S3 MT. Air flow is great. At dusk or early morning, a visor is a must around here climbing. Otherwise, when you look anywhere past 5 ft in front of you, you get a face full of sun.
    It's a fire road.............
    I'm on a road bike..........

They have enough in common to blast down it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I do the cycling cap under helmet in the rain.

Brim keeps rain from pelting you in the eyes no glasses needed. Then the cap keeps any rain that enters your vents from dripping down your face. If you have to/want to ride in the rain cap under helmet is the only way to go IMHO.
    Last edited by QuattroCreep; 08-30-2012 at 10:42 AM.

One thing I DO do is use proper words when posting on a message board. I know this may be a shock to someone who is likely under 30, but typing whole, complete words makes a person look less like an idiot. It also reduces the number of people who might not answer your question, or write a response like this, because they perceive you as lazy.
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PlatyPius View Post
    One thing I DO do is use proper words when posting on a message board. I know this may be a shock to someone who is likely under 30, but typing whole, complete words makes a person look less like an idiot. It also reduces the number of people who might not answer your question, or write a response like this, because they perceive you as lazy.
    scru u, platy ;-)

jk

All I wanted was a Pepsi!
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    scru u, platy ;-)

jk
    ^^Ths. FOAD, Platy!
    "If you have the guts to be yourself, other people'll pay your price." - Rabbit Angstrom

Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    scru u, platy ;-)

jk
    Quote Originally Posted by lemonlime View Post
    ^^Ths. FOAD, Platy!

ESABATM, u PF'ing troglodytes!

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    My words are pretty complete unless u want me to just spell out mountain
    instead of mtn and no im over 30yrs old ...its just dam hard to use this new tablet when u type in they have this auto word thingy that just pisses me off!

And unless u are a total idiot my words and questions are pretty understandable ...and if u cant understand my question i would prefer if u dont answer it ;)

I was just in a market for a new helmet and i was drawn to some mtn bike helmets but i dont wanna look like a jackass for wearing one lol

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    A helmet is a helmet. The only difference I can see is the addition of a visor & they are easily removable.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QuattroCreep View Post
    That was funny! Too bad you had to add the disclaimer. But peeps on the inter-web are sooooooo freak'n uptight! So, it was a good call.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    If you mostly ride road, you may as well get a road helmet. A mountain bike helmet will suffice.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    This cap with the road helmet is the dorkiest thing about road biking in my opinion. It's funny enough we wear spandex and funky colors. Add this set up and it's, it's, it's just, well, not for me.

I have read the rules, and ignore or go out of my way to break them. Rules are meant to be broken just like KOMs on Strava

By the way, I did try the cap and road helmet thing. It totally messed up the air flow in my helmet I paid all the good money for. I wear the spandex and colors because of their function. One has to be seen on the road and pedaling at 35+ mph in baggies just gets you an air enema.
    after some hours in the rain it's mighty nice though.
    Blows your hair back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Versatile View Post
    A helmet is a helmet. The only difference I can see is the addition of a visor & they are easily removable.
    The visor comes off real easy. Sticking it back on again is just about impossible. At least it is on my Bell.

I would keep the visor on and just turn the helmet backwards when the visor becomes a hindrance....

well, maybe not.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2003
    I will never understand why helmet needs visor.

Quote Originally Posted by Crank-a-Roo View Post
    I will never understand why helmet needs visor.
    Helmet the happy foam hat fell in love with Visor in the MTB days, where Visor shielded Helmet's owner from the evil rays of the sun. Helmet and Visor have been together in the MTB world ever since.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Visor can also be nice in the rain, particularly to keep said rain off the glasses. Visors have there place. Its just that place isn't when your down in the drops. Some people get carried away with visor hate and ban them outright, they are missing out due to their vanity.
    ---
    Trek Domane 5.2
    Cannondale Rush SL

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    I don't own a helmet with a visor so I will have to try the Euro cap under the helmet thing when I go on night rides in the rain

banned
    Aug 2012
    I do not think that the age has anything to do with proper use of grammar and spelling, the level of education is most likely the cause.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbeerthepirate View Post
    The visor comes off real easy. Sticking it back on again is just about impossible. At least it is on my Bell.

I would keep the visor on and just turn the helmet backwards when the visor becomes a hindrance....

well, maybe not.
    That all depends on the shape of your head.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast