Helmets with MIPS technology - Why so few?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 37
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    120

    Helmets with MIPS technology - Why so few?

    With aero being the new helmet craze, I wonder why people are not demanding that helmet manufacturers make SAFER helmets, instead of simply marginally better looking and/or marginally more aero helmets. If those that use helmets start demanding helmets that are safer than ones my grandpa used back in the day, they will listen. I'm told by a Scott helmet dealer that Scott cannot keep MIPS models in stock. Might be true, might not. But I want a safer helmet, not just a clone of what I've had for years with more vents and a few less grams... If you don't use a helmet, your choice and I really don't want to go down that rat hole.

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Dave Cutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,904
    Quote Originally Posted by mgringle View Post
    .... I wonder why people are not demanding that helmet manufacturers make SAFER helmets,...... I want a safer helmet, not just a clone of what I've had for years with more vents and a few less grams...
    Aren't motorcycle helmets made to higher, "safer" standards?

    If not the standards used for motorcycle helmet safety.... what bicycle helmet safety standards would you like to see increased... and to what level?
    If I didn't bicycle when the weather is bad... I wouldn't be a cyclist. I'd just be another old fat man... with a bicycle hanging in his garage.

    Urban Cycling.... Overcome your fears (a YouTube Link).
    Learn to cycle in traffic
    Or... just HTFU

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    37
    I read the bicycling article article about "safer helmet standards", and i have read a few others pointing out what was misleading that article.

    The basic of what i have found is, the mips system is great for tight fighting secured helmets. but most bicycle helmets are not tight fitting, except for some MTB helmets. The purpose of the mips is to allow the helmet to rotate around the head a little, reducing the rotational force, thus reducing the chance/severity of a concussion.
    That's great on full face and tightly secured helmets like snowboard helmets, but not necessarily on a reg bicycle helmet. Most people never wear the chin strap so tightly pulled so the helmet can not rotate. We wear them lose, they are there to keep the helmet from falling off in a crash. As a result the helmet will rotate without the mips system being necessary.

    I do agree that as our information on head injuries increases, the standards should be reexamined too. So far for our specific needs i am comfortable with the available options and standards. Especially having had my first Bike vs Car incident. Helmet got smashed up, but i was fine(except for my collar bone).

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cutter View Post
    .... what bicycle helmet safety standards would you like to see increased... and to what level?
    I would like to see helmets that reduce the rotational impact as the MIPS technology supposedly does, reducing the severity of concussions. With all the recent new information regarding head trauma, I would think helmet manufactures and riders would take notice.

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    950
    I bought a POC Trabec Race with MIPS. It's a mtb helmet, but it has what appears to be the best protection.
    I got six Cadillacs, five Lincolns, four Fords, six Mercuries, three T-Birds, and a Mustang.

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Dave Cutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,904
    Quote Originally Posted by mgringle View Post
    I would like to see helmets that reduce the rotational impact as the MIPS technology supposedly does, reducing the severity of concussions...... I would think helmet manufactures and riders would take notice.
    Well... you got my attention!

    I almost always wear a helmet, cycling gloves, cycling glasses, and even a little mirror attached to the cycling glasses. I have to... my wife would kill me if I got injured bicycling without the proper equipment.

    Thanks for sharing the MIPS technology information!
    If I didn't bicycle when the weather is bad... I wouldn't be a cyclist. I'd just be another old fat man... with a bicycle hanging in his garage.

    Urban Cycling.... Overcome your fears (a YouTube Link).
    Learn to cycle in traffic
    Or... just HTFU

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: MrMook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    368
    Quote Originally Posted by Terex View Post
    I bought a POC Trabec Race with MIPS. It's a mtb helmet, but it has what appears to be the best protection.
    I bought one, too, but the fit was so poor. Two shell sizes (neither of which were a match for my head), and a cheap plastic "zip" style adjustment system that kept popping loose.

    I love the design, and the implementation of new, safer tech, but I had to send it back.

    I do, however, ride with a Fox Flux "all-mountain" helmet for better coverage. Sort of makes "standard" helmets look like kippahs. So to the OP's point, there are "safer" helmets, and I chose what I feel is one of the better options on the market.

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    120
    Yea, I wanted a Scott Taal, but it came in only ONE size (but three color options!)

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    950
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cutter View Post
    Well... you got my attention!

    I almost always wear a helmet, cycling gloves, cycling glasses, and even a little mirror attached to the cycling glasses. I have to... my wife would kill me if I got injured bicycling without the proper equipment.

    Thanks for sharing the MIPS technology information!
    After two concussions, and two cracked LAS Squalos, my riding has decreased greatly. My wife and kids wanted me to give it up entirely, which I did for a while, but I've made modifications to my riding that decrease risk of similar misadventure. I'm fortunate to have been able to substitute other activities that keep me fit.
    I got six Cadillacs, five Lincolns, four Fords, six Mercuries, three T-Birds, and a Mustang.

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    37
    I found a couple of the articles about MIPS and the bicycle article.
    Bicycling magazine article is misleading
    Sliding Resistance of Bicycle Helmets

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: flatsix911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    620
    If you are still concerned after reading the research literature, just purchase a motorcycle helmet with a current DOT certification

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: MrMook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    368
    Quote Originally Posted by flatsix911 View Post
    If you are still concerned after reading the research literature, just purchase a motorcycle helmet with a current DOT certification
    DOT certification is self-policed...MFRs vouch for themselves meeting the criteria. Snell certification is much more rigorous and requires that each product be tested by the Snell Foundation. They have a bicycle helmet cert. as well.

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by flatsix911 View Post
    If you are still concerned after reading the research literature, just purchase a motorcycle helmet with a current DOT certification
    Not very practical advice...

    Here is another relevant article:
    Cycling’s Concussion Dilemma | Road Bike News, Reviews, and Photos

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by mgringle View Post
    This is and interesting observation from the above article: "Concussions are becoming a hot-button topic in cycling, as scores of amateur and professional racers have seen their careers derailed by head injuries. Chris Horner dropped out of the 2011 Tour de France after crashing onto his head during the seventh stage stage. Tom Boonen also abandoned that years Tour after crashing on his head. American Evelyn Stevens cracked her teeth and suffered a minor concussion after crashing at the Classica Citta di Padova race this past March. And American cyclists Scott Nydam and Sinead Miller both saw their promising careers end after suffering numerous concussion."

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    950
    Quote Originally Posted by mgringle View Post
    This is and interesting observation from the above article: "Concussions are becoming a hot-button topic in cycling, as scores of amateur and professional racers have seen their careers derailed by head injuries. Chris Horner dropped out of the 2011 Tour de France after crashing onto his head during the seventh stage stage. Tom Boonen also abandoned that years Tour after crashing on his head. American Evelyn Stevens cracked her teeth and suffered a minor concussion after crashing at the Classica Citta di Padova race this past March. And American cyclists Scott Nydam and Sinead Miller both saw their promising careers end after suffering numerous concussion."
    I've ridden with her. Maybe there is a connection?

    Seriously, hadn't heard that. In addition to my concussions, my youngest daughter has caps on her two front teeth from a cycling accident in her youth. Both together would really suck...
    I got six Cadillacs, five Lincolns, four Fords, six Mercuries, three T-Birds, and a Mustang.

  16. #16
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    12,550

    Re: Helmets with MIPS technology - Why so few?

    Quote Originally Posted by mgringle View Post
    With aero being the new helmet craze, I wonder why people are not demanding that helmet manufacturers make SAFER helmets, instead of simply marginally better looking and/or marginally more aero helmets. If those that use helmets start demanding helmets that are safer than ones my grandpa used back in the day, they will listen. I'm told by a Scott helmet dealer that Scott cannot keep MIPS models in stock. Might be true, might not. But I want a safer helmet, not just a clone of what I've had for years with more vents and a few less grams... If you don't use a helmet, your choice and I really don't want to go down that rat hole.
    Well, to my knowledge there are no MIPS road helmets. I would seriously u consider one if there were any.

  17. #17
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: MrMook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    368
    Quote Originally Posted by NJBiker72 View Post
    Well, to my knowledge there are no MIPS road helmets. I would seriously u consider one if there were any.
    Tell me the functional difference between a road helmet, and something like the POC "all mountain" Trabec helmet (with MIPS). If you're really concerned about safety (not fashion or "aero"), there should be no question. When I had my Trabec, it was very light, and had great ventilation. As I said above, the fit didn't work for my head, and I went with another all-mountain style helmet. No MIPS, but greater coverage on the back of the head than a "road" helm.

  18. #18
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: scryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    374
    I would think one huge issue is there is absolutely no real way for a consumer to compare the safety of one helmet vs another.

    Other then having the manufacturer say "Hey bro, this one is safe as ****", and you being like "K, cool beans".... How are you going to be attracted to one helmet over another based on safety? Unless you completely revamp the certification process its pass/fail.

    Also, who makes the coolest sexiest car?
    Volvo right?

    What do you mean Porsche? The Volvo is so much safer....

  19. #19
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    12,550

    Re: Helmets with MIPS technology - Why so few?

    Quote Originally Posted by MrMook View Post
    Tell me the functional difference between a road helmet, and something like the POC "all mountain" Trabec helmet (with MIPS). If you're really concerned about safety (not fashion or "aero"), there should be no question. When I had my Trabec, it was very light, and had great ventilation. As I said above, the fit didn't work for my head, and I went with another all-mountain style helmet. No MIPS, but greater coverage on the back of the head than a "road" helm.
    I will not say that fashion, aero and weight are irrelevant. I also do not want a helmet with a visor to block my view and also possibly defeat any benefit by adding a rotational obstacle.

    Plus it seems if they can make these for mountain bikes they can for road bikes too. So why spend the money on some heavy clunky thing when someone you would think would make a decent one soon enough.

    The Giro Air Attack seems like it could be done with MIPS tech fairly easily. But that is taking on two market niches at a time.

  20. #20
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    12,550

    Re: Helmets with MIPS technology - Why so few?

    Quote Originally Posted by scryan View Post
    I would think one huge issue is there is absolutely no real way for a consumer to compare the safety of one helmet vs another.

    Other then having the manufacturer say "Hey bro, this one is safe as ****", and you being like "K, cool beans".... How are you going to be attracted to one helmet over another based on safety? Unless you completely revamp the certification process its pass/fail.

    Also, who makes the coolest sexiest car?
    Volvo right?

    What do you mean Porsche? The Volvo is so much safer....
    As Lee Iacoca said when designing the Pinto, "Safety doesn't sell."

  21. #21
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: MrMook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    368
    Quote Originally Posted by NJBiker72 View Post
    I will not say that fashion, aero and weight are irrelevant. I also do not want a helmet with a visor to block my view and also possibly defeat any benefit by adding a rotational obstacle.

    Plus it seems if they can make these for mountain bikes they can for road bikes too. So why spend the money on some heavy clunky thing when someone you would think would make a decent one soon enough.

    The Giro Air Attack seems like it could be done with MIPS tech fairly easily. But that is taking on two market niches at a time.
    Have you ever ridden with another style of helmet? None of your concerns are founded in reality.

    Visor: Not only are visors removable, they're designed to snap off if there's an impact, so they don't interfere at all. When I had my Trabec, I rode without the visor, because my commuter and road bike are set up in a more forward position, where visors aren't very useful. My current Fox Flux visor is so short, I can barely see it through my eyebrows.

    Road helmet with MIPS: Again, what's the difference? Sure, someone will eventually build a road "styled" helmet with this technology, but I see no reason you'd need to wait around until then.

    Weight: None of my helmets are clunky. Sure, a Bern or a Skate style helmet can be clunky, and they fit like crap, but that's now what we're talking about here. I'm sure the lightest Catlike is a few grams lighter than an all-mountain helmet, but IF safety is your concern, shouldn't a negligible weight difference be....well.....negligible?

    Aero: SRSLY?

  22. #22
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    12,550
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMook View Post
    Have you ever ridden with another style of helmet? None of your concerns are founded in reality.

    Visor: Not only are visors removable, they're designed to snap off if there's an impact, so they don't interfere at all. When I had my Trabec, I rode without the visor, because my commuter and road bike are set up in a more forward position, where visors aren't very useful. My current Fox Flux visor is so short, I can barely see it through my eyebrows.

    Road helmet with MIPS: Again, what's the difference? Sure, someone will eventually build a road "styled" helmet with this technology, but I see no reason you'd need to wait around until then.

    Weight: None of my helmets are clunky. Sure, a Bern or a Skate style helmet can be clunky, and they fit like crap, but that's now what we're talking about here. I'm sure the lightest Catlike is a few grams lighter than an all-mountain helmet, but IF safety is your concern, shouldn't a negligible weight difference be....well.....negligible?

    Aero: SRSLY?
    1. Yes. Road is more comfortable and yes more stylish, especially for road riding.
    2. None of them are deal breakers. If I needed a new helmet and one was truly safer. That would be a huge factor in my decision. But I have a perfectly good Specialized Echelon (a similar model possibly saved my life) and Spec just sent me a new Prevail. Not what I would have ordered, but . . .

    And as for fashion, it is less about fashion, than being the weird slow guy in the mountain bike helmet on the group ride. And well, for now, I am going to be the slow guy. So . . .

  23. #23
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,694
    Quote Originally Posted by mgringle View Post
    With aero being the new helmet craze, I wonder why people are not demanding that helmet manufacturers make SAFER helmets, instead of simply marginally better looking and/or marginally more aero helmets. If those that use helmets start demanding helmets that are safer than ones my grandpa used back in the day, they will listen. I'm told by a Scott helmet dealer that Scott cannot keep MIPS models in stock. Might be true, might not. But I want a safer helmet, not just a clone of what I've had for years with more vents and a few less grams... If you don't use a helmet, your choice and I really don't want to go down that rat hole.
    What is MIPS?

  24. #24
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by mtor View Post
    What is MIPS?
    MIPS | Take a look in the latest issue of Popular Science

  25. #25
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: kmak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    306
    Quote Originally Posted by Terex View Post
    I bought a POC Trabec Race with MIPS. It's a mtb helmet, but it has what appears to be the best protection.
    +1

    I did the same thing, fit is good. The helmet comes with a range of pads so that, with some effort, the helmet is snug on the head but still comfortable. And the visor snaps off easily. Although I do look like a star wars storm trooper while wearing it with my all white kit.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Aero road helmets: cool technology or bad sci-fi prop?
    By Jason303 in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 04-04-2013, 06:53 AM
  2. New technology for Mom
    By Fordy in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-24-2011, 01:43 PM
  3. New technology for Mom
    By Fordy in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-24-2011, 12:46 PM
  4. UCI and technology
    By California L33 in forum Pro Cycling - Tour de France
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-01-2007, 05:23 AM
  5. New TDF Technology
    By xocsida in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-09-2006, 03:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.