Help! brake squeal question
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2003

Help! brake squeal question

I just mounted my new wheelset today and they were squealing horribly. The rims are OP ceramics and the brake pads are kool stops (Zero Gravity brakes). I had no problems with the old set of OP ceramic rims they are replacing or the machined walled rims I used for several rides while waiting on the new wheelset.
    The front stopped squealing after a couple of hard brakings on a nearby hilly street, the back quieted some but not completely. I would like to ride the wheelset Sat. morning, but do not want to annoy rest of LBS ride members.
    Am I correct in assuming the back squeal will also go away with a few more hard brakes?Are there any sugestions to help the situation?
    Thanks for the input, Tim

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2003

Toe in the pads? (nm)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2003
    I believe toe in is fine, but I will double check. Brake set up was not changed,only new wheelset. And yes the pads are made for ceramics. And as I mentioned, two previous wheelsets did not have squeal. I was wondering if this is common with new ceramic sidewalls or if there are any "secrets" I have not heard. Thanks. Tim

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    I built a front wheel with an OP ceramic rim recently, and I have Kool Stop ceramic brake pads. It squealed like crazy, but I've ridden maybe 100 miles since then and it's gotten much better. I think it might even go away completely, but only time will tell. I have a cross bike with cantis, so my squealing problems are compounded.

I also have an older ceramic rear rim that feels much smoother and doesn't squeal at all. On the new wheel, the rough ceramic texturing seems to be smoothing out a bit, as the brake pad residue fills it in. Keith Bontrager talks about this in one of of Lennard Zinn's tech columns:

http://www.insidetri.com/train/bike/...es/1505.0.html

Supposedly, the squealing will go away and braking will improve as the braking surface texture gets filled in with debris.

I've found that toeing in the pads helps a little, but doesn't get to the root of the problem. The brakes will still squeal just the same once you squeeze the brake lever hard enough, but "hard enough" is higher with more toe. So it doesn't solve the problem when you brake hard. Right now, my pads are worn flat and yet the squeal has slowly gone away.

If all else fails, I'd try new brakes... I think squealing usually is the result of a resonance, which can be disturbed by small changes. Good luck!