Help me decide: 2016 Giant TCR, 2016 Supersix Evo HI-MOD or Trek Emonda?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2015

Help me decide: 2016 Giant TCR, 2016 Supersix Evo HI-MOD or Trek Emonda?

I have a second hand 54cm Guru Geneo that has served me well for the past few seasons but I am currently looking to purchase a new road bike.

I am looking for a lightweight bike ~15lbs or less, preferably with Dura-Ace or Ultegra Di2, low to medium profile carbon wheels, Compact crank (although I find I get spun-out on fast descents and wondering if there is a solution?)

I am considering purchasing the 2016 Giant TCR SLR 0 w/ Ultegra Di2 because it seems to be good value compared to other brands. What do you think, are there any other bikes to consider purchasing that I have not mentioned with similar pricing/specs?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Why isn't this a decision you can make on your own?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    That new 2016 TCR Advanced is a nice ride for sure, either way with DA or Ultergra Di2 it will be a nice ride. Bonus is it comes with carbon wheels from the factory this year with only a $100 bump in price over last years price.

I just picked up a 2013 TCR Advanced SL4 right before I found out I could have got a 2016 TCR Advanced Pro for about $700 more than I paid for the one I got, but I was already committed to the seller and since I know him I went ahead with the sale.

I have several friends on the Emonda as well, they all have great things to say about it. I would say test ride the 3 of them and go from there. Don't pay as much attention to the drivetrain and I would to the ride and handling.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    2016 tcr slr 0?

"Ride lots." ~ Eddy Merck
    Quote Originally Posted by tvad View Post
    Why isn't this a decision you can make on your own?
    That was my thought as well. First post, which racing bicycle should I buy? What's next, should I drink Pepsi or Coke?
    2012 Giant Defy Comp 3
    1982 UE-8 Peugeot "̶1̶0̶ ̶s̶p̶e̶e̶d̶"̶ 7 speed
    1982 Peugeot UE-18 Mixte SS

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have the 2014 supersix evo not a hi-mod and it's my favorite bike so far. I got it down to 15lbs. I will be keeping this bike forever.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Vibe View Post
    I have the 2014 supersix evo not a hi-mod and it's my favorite bike so far. I got it down to 15lbs. I will be keeping this bike forever.
    Loved my SuperSix Evo HiMod with Dura Ace. 14.5 lbs including bottle cages and pedals. Great bike. Had to sell it because the geometry just wasn't right for me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2013
    My dealer friend (Giant and Cervelo) recently had a chance to ride the new TCR frame at some Giant Dealer get together in CO. He was impressed to the point where he said that it blows the R5 away. Lighter and stiffer all the way around, IIRC.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by sramred View Post
    Are all your posts this useless?

Op, i don't have experience with those bikes. But i do have a bike with sram red and based on my research, the sram red groupset is lighter and cheaper than dura ace and definitely lighter than.
    SRAM is not mentioned as being under consideration by the OP.
    Last edited by tvad; 08-07-2015 at 07:54 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Loved my SuperSix Evo HiMod with Dura Ace. 14.5 lbs including bottle cages and pedals. Great bike. Had to sell it because the geometry just wasn't right for me.

maybe you can expand on this for the OP as he might wanna know what is it about the bike's geometry that didn't work for you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    maybe you can expand on this for the OP as he might wanna know what is it about the bike's geometry that didn't work for you.
    I'd be happy to, but I don't think it'd be much help, as we are likely not the same proportion.

The SuperSix Evo HiMod (54cm) had a reach that was too long relative to the stack. I am short torso'd but long legged with long arms.

Height: 180cm
    Sternum to Ground: 148cm
    Inseam: 87.3cm
    Thigh: 52cm
    Wingspan: 185cm

The bike handled great and was a good climber. Stiff, yet comfortable.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2015
    Thanks for all the info! My inseam is around 84cm and my height around 173cm so I wonder if I would fit properly on the 54cm Supersix Evo HI-MOD?

Giant markets its TCR as one of the stiffest bikes on the market as its main competitive advantage versus other brands. That is one of the reasons why I am considering the TCR.

As for SRAM, I have heard negative things about the groupset being noisier for shifting and being less reliable than Shimano.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by simmsa View Post
    Thanks for all the info! My inseam is around 84cm and my height around 173cm so I wonder if I would fit properly on the 54cm Supersix Evo HI-MOD?
    Find a professional fitter and pay for a fitting. The bike is a substantial investment, and the fitting should be part of that investment.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    If you are asking for opinions, then the SuperSix Evo.
    I love mine and it isn't HiMod

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Supersix Evo Hi-Mod.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyB View Post
    That was my thought as well. First post, which racing bicycle should I buy? What's next, should I drink Pepsi or Coke?
    Coke, of course.

2014 Cannondale SS EVO
    wow..the 54 didnt fit? that sucks. it was that bad you couldnt ride..what were some issues?

I'd be happy to, but I don't think it'd be much help, as we are likely not the same proportion.

The SuperSix Evo HiMod (54cm) had a reach that was too long relative to the stack. I am short torso'd but long legged with long arms.

Height: 180cm
    Sternum to Ground: 148cm
    Inseam: 87.3cm
    Thigh: 52cm
    Wingspan: 185cm

The bike handled great and was a good climber. Stiff, yet comfortable.

2014 Cannondale SS EVO
    i dont see ypu fitting very well on a 54 with the geo of a supersix. you are my dimension almost to a tee. i ride a 52 and my fitter had to change out stem from a 1oomm to a 80mm. top tube is a bit long. but i feel good on it. 54..not a chance.

sram..very noisy. i don't like it. don't care how nice it looks and how light. when i ride with a Sram bike..i can hear it. im stunned how loud they are. and its pretty much most of them. one guy i ride with has Red..his is relatively quiet. but others with Rival and Force..ugh..loud. my 6800 ultegra..super quiet

Quote Originally Posted by simmsa View Post

Giant markets its TCR as one of the stiffest bikes on the market as its main competitive advantage versus other brands. That is one of the reasons why I am considering the TCR.

As for SRAM, I have heard negative things about the groupset being noisier for shifting and being less reliable than Shimano.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by kps88 View Post
    wow..the 54 didnt fit? that sucks. it was that bad you couldnt ride..what were some issues?
    Top tube too long. Too stretched out. Shoulders thrown forward, etc.

Like you, I would have required a short stem...and it would have affected the bike's great handling.

2014 Cannondale SS EVO
    Same issue. My 52 sized SS EVO had a 100mm stem. Fitter said 80mm. I said nope..too short. I went with 90mm. Handles great. But I was told the TT was too long as well. I don't have any issues..so I'm lucky in that respect.

Top tube too long. Too stretched out. Shoulders thrown forward, etc.

Like you, I would have required a short stem...and it would have affected the bike's great handling.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm between 5'6 / 5'7 and I ride a 52cm supersix evo just fine with the stock stem 100mm

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    I went with 90mm. Handles great. But I was told the TT was too long as well. I don't have any issues..so I'm lucky in that respect.
    I would have required an 80mm stem. Too short...plus, the stem I had was a matching color scheme, and the Cycling Gods would have been displeased had I swapped it out. ;)

90mm is OK, as you've discovered. Enjoy the frame. It's certainly an excellent one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Vibe View Post
    I'm between 5'6 / 5'7 and I ride a 52cm supersix evo just fine with the stock stem 100mm
    Without more specific body measurements, it's impossible to know if your positive fit on a SuperSix would translate to another 5'6/5'7 rider...for reasons previously discussed in the thread.

2014 Cannondale SS EVO
    Exactly what I was going to respond. I know my buddy is exactly same height as me. Rides a 54cm CAAD10. His measurements as far as arm length, leg and torso are different. I don't recall exactly how much different, but I saw his numbers from the fitter. We used the same guy.

Without more specific body measurements, it's impossible to know if your positive fit on a SuperSix would translate to another 5'6/5'7 rider...for reasons previously discussed in the thread.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2013
    sram..very noisy. i don't like it. don't care how nice it looks and how light. when i ride with a Sram bike..i can hear it. im stunned how loud they are. and its pretty much most of them. one guy i ride with has Red..his is relatively quiet. but others with Rival and Force..ugh..loud. my 6800 ultegra..super quiet
    Yes - all SRAM bikes that are set up by mechanics that have no clue WTF they are doing are noisy.

Otherwise - boooya.