Hernia surgery and time off the bike? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Music Man
    Nov 2006
    The length of time to recover will depend on the location, severity, and type of hernia you had repaired.

With that said, I had an umbilical hernia below the naval repaired when I was 18 back in 1978. It hurt so bad, I couldn't even cough without pain. Almost immediately after surgery, I was forced to get up and walk up and down the hallway. It was a very painful experience. I was told six weeks of absolutely no exercising. After six weeks, I was given clearance to pedal only. I had a Schwinn Le Tour at the time. I was told no contact sports for the next six weeks, so that took me out of playing football and ice hockey. It was a very long recovery.

In 2005, at the age of 46, I had a double hernia repaired. I was cut about 7" in the lower groin and abdomen area. Immediately after I woke up, I was extremely sore. I was in tears and doubling over and started to tremor, which was causing more abdominal pain. I had to get a local block to make the pain subside. I was discharged and told absolutely no exercising of any form for six weeks. I was allowed to walk only. No lifting of any sort for a month. I had the mesh sewn into the surgical area as well. Once I got back on the bike, it felt pretty funny for a while. I felt numbness and felt like my nads were exploding at times. I couldn't ride that far when I started back out because of that odd and hurting feeling.

Everyone will recover differently and have different recovery experiences. Age plays a factor in healing and recovery.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    I appreciate the feedback, being a healthy athlete I have never broken anything or even been cut on for that matter after close to 25 years in competitive sports until this week. So for me having an idea of what to expect and what to anticipate is invaluable. Keep your experiences coming as it has helped keep my mind focused on my recovery!

So far my belly button has been the worse (recap they didn't replace mesh there but reattached it to the lining of the stomach because it wasn't bad). It hurts every time I move but I'm equating it to the pain experienced while cycling so that is helping me push through the pain when walking etc. My incision around the groin area isn't so bad in comparison, although it does feel weird. The doctor used mesh in that area but I can feel the numbness that others have spoken about. I have my followup with the doctor Monday afternoon so I will keep let you know what he says.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'd take the time to heal. I had my belly button done a few years ago along with both sides below and the belly button tore again. I was in pain for two years before I went back to have it redone because I didn't want to go through the whole process again. I had it redone in January this year and actually waited three months before I started lifting or excercising. I waited a bit longer than suggested just to be safe. Redoing surgery is not my idea of fun.

Jack of no trades
    I had a hernia during high school. They found it during my physical for football.

The morning after the surgery, I didn't want to get out of the bed, and I had to fight tooth and nail to stay a day longer as they were ready to push me out the door as soon as I woke up. Looking down at those staples and the raw gash across my abdomen, I feared I would split open and see my intestines spill out all over the floor if I got up and moved.

I can't remember how long it took me to recover from it. I figure once they take the staples out, you can ease your way back into it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    I had surgery for inguinal (groin) hernia at Shouldice Clinic here in Toronto in my late 30's (about 10 years ago). At Shouldice they encourage their patients to be very active as quickly as possible. They have you walking the same day of the surgery (not much mind you - to toilet and back to bed). Every day following the surgery, I was walking progressively longer distance, finishing the first week with 1 hour hikes at normal walking speeds. My sport at the time was squash, and I got back on the court during the 2nd week following the surgery, and was playing league matches by the 3rd week. Was at full speed, 100% effort, by the end of the first month following the surgery. The numbness and minor pains in the area took a few months to go completely go away.

Having said that, you need to follow your doctors advice, as your diagnosis and procedure are likely a lot different than mine were.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    Went for followup this afternoon and the doctor removed my staples and took the bandages off. Said I was looking good and said recovery should go well because of the shape that I am in. Cleared me for light activity but I am going to stick to walking for now. Everything is feeling good but taking the advice from your feedback and going to force myself to ease back into it. On a side note, I decided to take as little of the pain medicine as possible; it was making me bloated and constipated. Also besides my belly(core), I feel fantastic. The incision around my groin really doesn't hurt that much but I can definitely feel my belly. The doctor did say that he put a little piece of mesh around my belly but that it wound up not being as bad as he thought.
    Walking has been the best, feeling stronger and most of the neighbors said they couldn't tell I had surgery. Will probably go back to work later on this week.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    I had out patient Laprascopic Groin Hernia surgery 13 years ago when I when I was 40. They told me at the time there was less than 1% chance of reoccurence and that I would be totaly healed in two weeks.

I had ridden almost an entire year on the bike with the Hernia until it became too painful and frequent before I got it diagnosed after trying rest off the bike for the few months of the year.

I had the surgery Jan 1st in Minnesota and shoveled 4 inches of snow the next day (I know not the smartest thing to do) after being dropped off at home. I was doing major leg presses two weeks later at the club. I have NEVER felt even a twinge of pain in the last 13 years with 50,000 miles riding bikes.

My biking buddy had double Laprascopic Groin Hernia surgery at 58 two years ago and has never had any issues either and he rides more than I do.

Non Laprascopic Groin Hernia surgery is much more painful, takes much longer to heal and has a much higher rate of reoccurence. I worked with an athletic guy who had split the same old Hernia open twice and after hearing about my surgery has his redone using the Laprascopic method with no issues in the next 10 years.

Once your body grows through the mesh Laprascopically stapled to the inside of your body it as strong or stronger that beore the injury. If you are fit and heathly before a Laprascopic Hernia surgery you normally should be healed and back on the bike in no time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    Back on the bike and riding fine with no issues since last weekend!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    With Laprascopic surgery you would have had three small incisions the size of a pencil eraser. One is for a Light to see what they are doing, one is for an instrument that pumps in gas to hold your organ bag out of the way so they can work, one is to place the mesh and their tools through.

Only had a couple stiches on each incision and they healed up really quick. Really was a non event and I never think about it anymore.

Sounds like you had a more complicated surgery and are progessing fine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    Had femoral hernia surgery 5 days ago. Had to have the open procedure as the "hernia sac" was too large. Reminder to fellow males: Do Not Extend Time Prior To Seeing Your Doctor!" I waited a bit too long so now I'm relegated to extra recovery time. Second reminder: Take the stool softeners or whatever prescribed or you'll be a very uncomfortable guy.
    Nasty pain first afternoon home, after that, Tylenol handled the dull pain. By day 4, I wasn't taking anything. Get out and walk. Hurts at first but by the time you get back, it's fine. Walking is the key to getting this gone, I think.
    I'm mandated to no bicycles for 6 weeks. No spin either, just walking. I'm going to take it easy. It's February and the only good thing about this mess.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12