Hey you moreons! Wear your sunscreen!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005

Hey you moreons! Wear your sunscreen!

Last year was a good year for me on the bike. I rode quite well despite some aging issues taking their toll. I was hoping for a repeat performance this year, but so far it hasn't worked out that way. The weather was terrible; cold, rainy, snowy, windy all spring and even into early June.

After 48 seasons of racing & riding I'd never had a cycling related injury aside from various crashes. Early this year my left knee started giving me problems. I was fortunate enough to find an orthopedic doc who's also an avid cyclist. He said the problem is with an inflammation of the lining of the patella. I can ride, but I can't push it. I've been treating it by riding easily, icing & a cortisone injection.

Two weeks ago I fell at home. I was pulling weeds, yanked on a stubborn one & when it came loose I fell backward about 10 feet down our concrete rubble break-wall. I was scratched up, beat up & have a cracked rib. Actually I was lucky. I could have been seriously hurt but came out with only bumps & bruises. Hurts to breathe hard because of the rib, but that'll get better.

Someone took some photos of me recently & I noticed what looked like a dirt spot on my neck beneath my left ear. It was in a place where it's hard for me to see when looking in the mirror. I thought maybe I'd scratched myself shaving, but it didn't hurt. I decided to have it checked out by a dermatologist. I told him I just noticed it a couple of weeks ago & he said I can guarantee it's been there for at least a year. The biopsy just came back and yesterday I was diagnosed with lentigo maligna melanoma. I have an appointment with a plastic surgeon who will evaluate how much he'll have to remove from the side of my neck. I'm also scheduled with the dermatologist for a thorough head to toe inspection which I'll be having every 90 days for the next 5 years.

I plan on continuing do whatever I can as far as riding is concerned. I feel fine physically & will ride an organized tour of 50+ mi. tomorrow.

Oh...one more thing, I'll be wearing LOTS of sunscreen. I also have 2 pair of Zoot arm coolers on order.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    Yeah, that's good advice. I never leave home without it on...thanks and I hope that you do well on the inspections.
    With people like Peter P. around, I am done posting on this website. Mean people have driven me off after 9 plus years. Good luck newbies beware.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    is it a good idea to put sunscreen on outside of the ear as well?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Versatile View Post
    Two weeks ago I fell at home. I was pulling weeds, yanked on a stubborn one & when it came loose I fell backward about 10 feet down our concrete rubble break-wall. I was scratched up, beat up & have a cracked rib. Actually I was lucky. I could have been seriously hurt but came out with only bumps & bruises. Hurts to breathe hard because of the rib, but that'll get better.
    Must've been some weed.

But lesson learned about the sun screen, guess the rest of us are fortunate we're learning through you. Hope the condition doesn't worsen.

Fierce Pancake
    Mm-hm, I slather myself in sunscreen and cover up quite a bit in the sun. Good luck for a full and permanent recovery. People underestimate the impact of having melanomas removed, they can leave quite a crater in the effort to remove all the cancerous cells. All the best.
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Poast of the Day™.

RoadBikeReview Member
    a-yup. i'm 28 and have had 5 melanomas removed over the past 10 years. i have a lot of scars on my back, but it could certainly be worse.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventruck View Post
    Must've been some weed.

But lesson learned about the sun screen, guess the rest of us are fortunate we're learning through you. Hope the condition doesn't worsen.
    Actually, it was a little maple tree about as big around as my little finger. The bank I was standing on is maybe 40 degrees. It's quite hard to stand on without being on all 4s.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorCyclist View Post
    is it a good idea to put sunscreen on outside of the ear as well?
    Yes,

I had to go through a type of chemo treatment a few years back where you apply this nasty cream all over your face and the pre-cancerous areas basically burn off. To make a long story short, only around my eyes (where I had been wearing sunglasses for 25+ years while on the bike) didn't look like hamburger. Please, guys/gals, slather on sunscreen because it will catch up with you down the road if you don't. I'm religious about wearing sunscreen now, but I fear I will eventually develop some form of melanoma due to all the damage of the past.

Don't forget the ears (inside and out), throat and arms, legs.

Fierce Pancake
    The bits that don't get sunscreen, get chamois cream. It's win-win.
    Poast of the Day™.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Any suggestions for a good sunscreen? I have been pretty bad about it over the years and it's well past time to start. What lasts through the sweat and doesn't run into your eyes?
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit." -Aristotle on intervals

Fierce Pancake
    Quote Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
    What lasts through the sweat and doesn't run into your eyes?
    Don't put sunscreen on your forehead. Wear a cap instead.

I use Nivea factor 40, including the kids' stuff which is like whitewash as it's water-resistant. Takes a while to work it in, and allow 20 minutes before going in the sun (ie enough time to get kitted up).
    Poast of the Day™.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    My doc recommended Coppertone SPF 50 UVA & UVB. I found it in an aerosol spray which is very convenient & easy to use. It won't run. I sprayed it on today, including my entire face & forehead and despite temps in the high 80s absolutely none of it ran into my eyes. It works as advertised.

Folsom City Blues...
    Aways do, but thanks for the reminder. I have an olive skin tone and no matter how much sun screen I use, I still continue to tan. In the summer months I can get pretty tanned on the areas that get sun exposure. While during the winter months I get very light skinned.

What are most folks using that keeps you from tanning so much during that summer months? I see fair skin people that pretty much stay light through out the summer. Presently I'm using Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Sun Block SPF 100+, anyone else using this product?

Peace
    Tao Te Ching

The movement of the Tao is to return

The way of Tao is to yield

Heaven, Earth and all things are born of the existant world.

The existent world is born of nothingness of the Tao

Master Lao Tzu

Low rep power
    Hope all ends well, Mr. V.

Here's my ad for using sunscreen- this was cut out a month and a half or so ago....

We'll be back soon, there will be more of us, and next time we won't be dropping leaflets.

“The problem with quotes on the internet is that it’s hard to verify their authenticity” – Abraham Lincoln

Fierce Pancake
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfstone View Post
    What are most folks using that keeps you from tanning so much during that summer months? I see fair skin people that pretty much stay light through out the summer.
    I ride in blazing sunshine at 100F+ and stay pale using the Nivea SPF 40 I mentioned before. My legs are still practically white. My arms are a bit brown but that's just as much from being at work without sunscreen on. Admittedly my rides aren't long (1-2 hours is all I can manage in this heat and humidity). If you're out for hours and hours then take sunscreen with you and reapply.
    Poast of the Day™.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Glad you caught this early, it was smart to get it checked. As for sunscreen - I use the spray can Neutrogena 100 Body Mist Sunblock. It is waterproof, but you do seem to sweat more at first with it on. It does work well, but I still get sun even through that. It is not cheap, either.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Good advice

RoadBikeReview Member
    +1, a few moments taking precautions can save one a lot of problems. This time of year I see many without shirts burning themselves. These malignant melanomas are occurring with more frequency among people.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hope everything gets better for you.
    2011 Specialized Roubaix Elite
    2009 Gary Fisher Marlin
    1980's SR (Japanese) rebuilt w/ SS Conversion

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by qatarbhoy View Post
    Don't put sunscreen on your forehead. Wear a cap instead.
    LOL. Yeah, I'm going to blame that lapse in intelligence on being sick and hope we can all pretend it didn't happen.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit." -Aristotle on intervals

pedalpedalpedal
    Sunscreen has never been proven to stop skin cancer.

However, I'm 3/4 Irish and 1/4 Scottish, so I'm pale as a ghost, and burn instantly without it. Anything that's exposed to sunlight gets covered with sunscreen before I head out for a ride, even in the winter and on cloudy days.

Bonus: most signs of aging--i.e. wrinkled skin--come from exposure to the sun. Sunscreen definitely helps reduce that. I don't know if it's genetics or 15 years of religiously wearing sunscreen, but I'm 35, and most people think I'm in my low-to-mid 20s.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2003

Thumbs up nuetraguena 50 is what i was using.

I liked it, I live in the Rockies, intense sun everyday ,I switched over to Walmart's 50 spf is what I now use, (it's cheaper). I also now use those new new spf rated long sleeve jerseys (50 spf)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks for the great advice, us young guys don't think about the consequences of this kind of stuff. Its so easy to use sun screen too, no excuses! :-p

banned
    Jan 2011
    Hey you moreons!
    Reminds me of this:

Fierce Pancake

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by 13thcyclist View Post
    Reminds me of this:

Indeed, it should of course read GOE USA.

Sunscreen has never been proven to stop skin cancer.

Well, it does stop sunburn and sunburn is a known factor in skin cancer, right? So sunscreen helps. Plus, see the featured article on the right-hand side about preventing melanomas, written by a perfessional doctor-type person. He mentions sunscreen quite a bit (also cycling caps. Score one point for me).

Of course, if you prefer to get burnt to a crisp repeatedly, be my guest. Temps on my morning ride hit 49.7C = 121F. I'll be using sunscreen.
    Poast of the Day™.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast