Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2018

Cool Hi I am New to site

Hi,
    I am new to the site. I am a cycling instructor and I just bought myself a new road bike. I have been riding since I was in my teens but when I had my 2 kids I stopped road riding. I am excited to get back in the road bike saddle.
    Name:  my new bike.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  13.6 KB

Banned forever.....or not
    All types of people here. Some are helpful, some aren't, some are funny, some aren't, some are friendly, some aren't, and some are just crabby.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

flinty-eyed moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mtoxfox View Post
    Hi,
    I am new to the site. I am a cycling instructor and I just bought myself a new road bike. I have been riding since I was in my teens but when I had my 2 kids I stopped road riding. I am excited to get back in the road bike saddle.
    Name:  my new bike.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  13.6 KB
    Welcome to RBR!
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Darling of The Lounge
    Welcome to RBR!

There's a section on this website devoted to coaching.

Coaching

Your experience as a cycling instructor would be beneficial for those seeking advice.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2018
    I didn't know that! thank you for sharing.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Is that Comic Sans font??????
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY View Post
    All types of people here. Some are helpful, some aren't, some are funny, some aren't, some are friendly, some aren't, and some are just crabby.
    I'm the unfriendly, crabby guy.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Welcome aboard! There's a lot of cool information here; I've built or rebuilt several bikes with the know-how gathered from the fine folks here (many of whom have posted in this thread). Stick around! Poke your nose into the threads here and learn a few things. Teach us some stuff too, please
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

Out riding.
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Is that Comic Sans font??????
    It looks to me like it is.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    I'm the unfriendly, crabby guy.
    and he's helpful while being unfriendly and crabby often too.

Welcome to RBR!
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Welcome.. for the love of $DIETY.. don't use Comic Sans.. Also.. unless you have a thick skin.. avoid the Politics Only sub forum.. it gets downright crazy at times

Also.. I guess I fall into the crabby category

WA outdoor enthusiast
    Mar 2002
    Cycling instructor.
    Where do I apply?
    I'm no good with kids.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Wonderful
    Last edited by PanJuchko; 1 Week Ago at 07:15 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    If you 'use' your helmet, buy a new one.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Welcome to the forum.
    Can you explain how you took a sabbatical from cycling and then came back as a cycling instructor?
    Can you tell us about your role of cycling instructor? I don't think I have ever met one. Coaches, racers, strong group riders, average riders...not instructors.
    I have known motorcycle instructors however.

Can you define your affiliation to give you this credential?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Those who can't cycle well, instruct.
    Oh my, a troll who doesn't know the difference between your and you're. What will they think of next?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    You will laugh FF...
    Speaking of which, I have a cycling buddy who I would say is a decent B rider and I try to help him with his fitness and riding...position on the bike and training etc...

He went on an on about how hard he is driven in his 'spinning class'. You know, the types of classes where the guys wear pink tights and drink Mocha Latte's...not that there is anything wrong with either ;). So one day I join my friends for a ride and my buddy brings his big bad spinning instructor who kills everybody in class leaving buckets of sweat on the floor.

Nice enough guy...thought he was all that and immediately he tried to push the pace of the ride and I laughed and thought, this is going to be very interesting. A guy none of us know, joins the group and pushes the pace like he is the alfa dog. I thought it was hilarious so every time he tried to drop the group, I threw it back at him and upped the pace more. After 20 miles this guy was done. Toast. He turned into a 15 mph rider we had to continuously wait for. He had nothing and was exhausted.

It was comical. I never met anybody who taught or participated in spinning classes that were strong riders on the road. I am sure they exist.

I have a riding buddy who comes down from Chicago to ride with our group who says he can hold 300 watts for 1 hour. He is not a big guy and so his power to weight and drag coef makes him very fast for many miles. He says in the winter at the local shop, he competes with other racers on power bikes...stationary bikes that measure watts...virtual indoor racing. That ain't spinning class and this guy has the goods.
    Last edited by 11spd; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:27 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    And those who have nothing useful to post, troll.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 11spd View Post
    You will laugh FF...
    Speaking of which, I have a cycling buddy who I would say is a decent B rider and I try to help him with his fitness and riding...position on the bike and training etc...

He went on an on about how hard he is driven in his 'spinning class'. You know, the types of classes where the guys wear pink tights and drink Mocha Latte's...not that there is anything wrong with either ;). So one day I join my friends for a ride and my buddy brings his big bad spinning instructor who kills everybody in class leaving buckets of sweat on the floor.

Nice enough guy...thought he was all that and immediately he tried to push the pace of the ride and I laughed and thought, this is going to be very interesting. A guy none of us know, joins the group and pushes the pace like he is the alfa dog. I thought it was hilarious so every time he tried to drop the group, I threw it back at him and upped the pace more. After 20 miles this guy was done. Toast. He turned into a 15 mph rider we had to continuously wait for. He had nothing and was exhausted.

It was comical. I never met anybody who taught or participated in spinning classes that were strong riders on the road. I am sure they exist.

I have a riding buddy who comes down from Chicago to ride with our group who says he can hold 300 watts for 1 hour. He is not a big guy and so his power to weight and drag coef makes him very fast for many miles. He says in the winter at the local shop, he competes with other racers on power bikes...stationary bikes that measure watts...virtual indoor racing. That ain't spinning class and this guy has the goods.
    Say what you will about people who teach/participate in spinning classes. A friend who I am definitely a stronger road rider than, can whoop me in one of those spin classes. Don't know what it is, but just because you're good at one doesn't mean you're good at the other.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    And those who have nothing useful to post, troll.
    Don't be so hard on yourself.
    Oh my, a troll who doesn't know the difference between your and you're. What will they think of next?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Don't be so hard on yourself.
    No need to call yourself names like this.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hi, I'm new too. Where are you from? I'm from Newark. And I want to help newcomers like me. I bought Diamondback Bicycles Overdrive 29er after seeing one article http://bestadviser.net/reviews/mountain-bikes-reviews/top-mountain-bikes-helmets-and-clothing-review/ . This is a mountain bike that fills me with happiness just sitting on it. He is very light and stylish. I also liked one helmet, but I do not know whether to buy it. Guys, tell me, will this helmet be durable?
    Name:  71hNXE+UF0L._SX425_.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  29.6 KB
    Last edited by PanJuchko; 1 Week Ago at 07:32 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    As I said before:
    If you 'use' your helmet, buy a new one.

By durable, do you mean will it be useable after hitting a tree with your head in it at 20mph? Maybe this already happened to you? Sorry!
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PanJuchko View Post
    Hi, I'm new too. Where are you from? I'm from Newark. And I want to help newcomers like me. I bought Diamondback Bicycles Overdrive 29er after seeing one article Top Mountain Bikes, Helmets and Clothing Review | Best Adviser . This is a mountain bike that fills me with happiness just sitting on it. He is very light and stylish. I also liked one helmet, but I do not know whether to buy it. Guys, tell me, will this helmet be durable?
    Name:  71hNXE+UF0L._SX425_.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  29.6 KB
    Buy it. Looks good. Throw it away after your first crash or the second one won't be so nice. Your first crash could be years away, so if you don't throw that helmet around or run over it with your car, it'll be very "durable."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Say what you will about people who teach/participate in spinning classes. A friend who I am definitely a stronger road rider than, can whoop me in one of those spin classes. Don't know what it is, but just because you're good at one doesn't mean you're good at the other.
    That's the same with pro road riders. The sprinters, time trialers, climbers.

Those spin classes are insane excursions way into anaerobic. They train the heart and lungs, and bulk up the fast twitch fibers, but yield minimal endurance. The classes are over in an hour. Great for conditioning the body for serious riding in the Spring, but no substitute for the road. Your spin class friend is a one trick pony.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast