hi new internet friends
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2020

hi new internet friends

I am here to humbly ask for help and guidance on a project to convert a cheap fixed gear bike to a geared bike.

Neophyte
    People usually go the other direction and turn a geared bike into a singlespeed/fixie.

You really aren't providing any information whatsoever, such as what bike you are starting out with, pictures of it, etc...

Russian Troll Farmer
    If it's a CHEAP bike, then it ain't worth it.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Weed
    I'm just here for the donuts.

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by HiMyNameIsDoug View Post
    I am here to humbly ask for help and guidance on a project to convert a cheap fixed gear bike to a geared bike.
    Hi Daryl. Posts about working on bikes go here:

https://forums.roadbikereview.com/components-wrenching/

Not in GD.

As others have posted we can't help if you provide any information about what you're working with. If the bike started out as a fixed gear you won't be able to convert it to a geared bike. Post some photos so we know for sure. And take a few minutes to check out the rest of the forum so you know where to post in the future.
    #promechaniclife

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    ... If the bike started out as a fixed gear you won't be able to convert it to a geared bike....
    Not really true. If you want to look far enough, there are still axle brackets for derailleurs available (which used to be common in the 1960's...) that you probably could cobble-together onto a track end. Of course, it would be a kludge-job, but it might work.....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by HiMyNameIsDoug View Post
    Doug, with a little bit of tongue in cheek, next time post with LESS information. For example, how about "I need to change my bike. Can you help?" That more wide open question will allow everyone's imagination to run wild and stimulate more discussion and argument. It's what the internet is all about!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Not really true. If you want to look far enough, there are still axle brackets for derailleurs available (which used to be common in the 1960's...) that you probably could cobble-together onto a track end. Of course, it would be a kludge-job, but it might work.....
    I'd hate to hafta watch somebody change a flat on the side of the road using that system.
    Too old to ride plastic

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    I'd hate to hafta watch somebody change a flat on the side of the road using that system.
    Actually, if you filmed somebody doing that and put it on Youtube, I'd bet we'd ALL watch it!

What the what???
    If you have a friend who is a welder/frame builder... and another friend who is a painter or powdercoater... and they both owed you big favors... you could probably do this pretty easily. Otherwise, not so much.
    Given his penchant for nicknames, and his aversion to reading, I've decided to shorten Donald J. Trump to it's essence: Dump*

I was "social distancing" before it was cool.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Actually, if you filmed somebody doing that and put it on Youtube, I'd bet we'd ALL watch it!
    Somebody not too long ago posted a vid in Wheels and Tires of a guy changing a tire on a high wheeler. A come-along is a standard tool for the job, but that thread got no love.