Honda unveils car designed to accommodate the needs of cyclists
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002

Honda unveils car designed to accommodate the needs of cyclists

This looks like it would meet my needs pretty well. I would consider it if they came out with an AWD version.

Honda unveils car designed to accommodate the needs of cyclists - Cycling Weekly
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    Just make the wagon with rear seats. A rack on top would work just fine.
    Click here to edit signature.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Col! My Honda Element meets the needs of cyclists pretty well. And large dog owners and XC skiers and construction folks and...
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    F250 truck. All needs are met.
    To those in uniform, both present and past, who have protected my freedoms, I thank you. I've had a good life so far.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug B View Post
    F250 truck. All needs are met.
    Not if fuel economy is a need.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveWC View Post
    Agreed. My truck gets 18 on the highway. But it also seats five very comfortably, and can hold five bikes with ease.

My MINI will also haul my bike...MINI sells a specific bike carrier, and it gets 39 Mpg on the highway. But, can only haul two bikes and two people comfortably. Actually, with the bikes on the roof, the mileage is a bit less than 39.

I saw a guy yesturday put his bike in the back of a 2015 mustang.
    To those in uniform, both present and past, who have protected my freedoms, I thank you. I've had a good life so far.

δanned
    A car that accommodates the needs of cyclists is one that automatically prevents the driver from passing too closely.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post
    Col! My Honda Element meets the needs of cyclists pretty well. And large dog owners and XC skiers and construction folks and...
    Honda were dumb to discontinue that vehicle. They tried (and failed) to build a better mousetrap.

RoadBikeReview Member
    not a station wagon type, but it looks decent and 100 mpg doesn't hurt...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanE View Post
    This looks like it would meet my needs pretty well. I would consider it if they came out with an AWD version.

Honda unveils car designed to accommodate the needs of cyclists - Cycling Weekly

There already is a car that does this. It is called the Subaru Outback. I see more than a fair share at any cycling event. And the Subaru is all wheel drive as well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tvad View Post
    Honda were dumb to discontinue that vehicle. They tried (and failed) to build a better mousetrap.
    It's so damn handy it's unbelievable. Decent on fuel efficiency and super reliable. A car that looks like it was made by Tupperware isn't for everyone... But when I XC ski I use it as a little cabana. It's awesome. The CRV killed it. One major issue though, and it's a driver comfort level thing... It gets blown around more than any other vehicle I have ever driven and I have had jeeps, a Dodge Raider, he'll, even a VW van. On highways at high speeds or in high winds you are really driving the car. I drove it though a heavy storm on a major highway a few days ago and it was trippy.

but Honda had 20-30 something MTBers and trail heads in mind for the Element when they designed it. Never really made a big splash in their intended market.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Will probably diesel and EU sales only...never to be available in the USA.

Such is the way with most wagon/hatchback vehicles good for the task.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SauronHimself View Post
    A car that accommodates the needs of cyclists is one that automatically prevents the driver from passing too closely.
    totally... I literally got brushed yesterday by a land rover.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by spdntrxi View Post
    totally... I literally got brushed yesterday by a land rover.
    Be lucky it was a brush. Cyclist here got TKO'd in a hit-and-run by a truck-driver not knowing how far out his mirrors extended. Woke up in a hospital.

banned
    Jul 2010
    That car is very cool.

I have a Chevy 1500 truck I use for bike races. It's 100% utility, 0% comfort. 20mpg on a good day. That civic gets 100mpg? I'd be interested in something like that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    Then the answer is Subaru Baja.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by Local Hero View Post
    That car is very cool.

I have a Chevy 1500 truck I used for bike races. It's 100% utility, 0% comfort. 20mpg on a good day. That civic gets 100mpg? I'd be interested in something like that.
    Do the math.

Let's say your 20mpg truck ($0.15 per mile) costs $3000 used. Let's also say the 100mpg (0.03 per mile) Honda wagon costs $50,000 drive-away-cost. Assume gas costs a "cheap" $3USD/gallon....the number of miles you have to drive the new Honda before you even break even on the difference in purchase costs is equal to a trip to the moon and over half way back, presuming my Sunday algebra is right.

Convenience sure it is a winner...economy, not by a long shot-you don't break even and start actually saving money until you drive 390,000 miles.

banned
    Jul 2010
    I'm aware of that and the lowered costs of having an older vehicle -- my pickup has zero payments and low insurance costs. That said, even though it is not my primary vehicle and I take great care of it, this truck will not last forever. I will certainly take fuel efficiency into account when I replace it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Do the math.

Convenience sure it is a winner...economy, not by a long shot-you don't break even and start actually saving money until you drive 390,000 miles.
    It's unreal. C=Cost difference of cars, A1 = mpg better car, A2 = mpg worse car, G = cost / gallon of gas

Miles needed to make up cost difference = (C * A1)/((G * (A1/A2)) - G)

So in your example ((50,000-3,000) * 100) / ((3*(100/20))-3) = 391,667 miles

So even for a car that costs only $10,000 more and achieves 100mpg vs 20mpg you still need to put 83,333 miles on it to just break even. I don't drive my car a lot so that's over 10 years of driving for me.

Banned forever.....or not
    Looks like they got rid of the spare tire, and the jack to get that depression to fit the fork dropouts.
    I just remove front and rear wheels, throw into trunk, along with pit wheels.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    It's unreal. C=Cost difference of cars, A1 = mpg better car, A2 = mpg worse car, G = cost / gallon of gas

Miles needed to make up cost difference = (C * A1)/((G * (A1/A2)) - G)

So in your example ((50,000-3,000) * 100) / ((3*(100/20))-3) = 391,667 miles

So even for a car that costs only $10,000 more and achieves 100mpg vs 20mpg you still need to put 83,333 miles on it to just break even. I don't drive my car a lot so that's over 10 years of driving for me.
    That's why I keep driving my 2001 BMW 540i that gets 12.6 mpg. I'd have to drive lots of miles to break even...and I don't put more than about 7,000 mi/yr on my car.

The new Honda does look slick. It'll be interesting to see if they actually build it.

WA outdoor enthusiast
    Mar 2002
    My older Ford minivan = 2 people + 6 bikes (1 roadie, 1 gravel and 1 mtb each) + backpacking gear. Nothing on the roof (unless there's 2 kayaks needed to complete the fun) = Priceless. Not the best mpg but who really cares when transporting this many toys. My Saturn gets 32+mpg.

edit: I like what Honda is doing tho'.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2016
    I bet that car wouldn't fit my 85.5cm saddle height without taking the saddle off. The only car I can fit my bike in standing up is the Honda Element. We have a Ford Escape-30mpg and we've fit five bikes inside for a long road trip before. I made a rack for it similar to the one in that new Honda. Wish they would just bring back the Element.
    I like to ride fast.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tvad View Post
    agreed..... I would serious consider one right now if they still made them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Or long term maintenance costs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast